It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Not Sleeping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User
    Not Sleeping

Hello,
    It has been 11 days since I have been taking an increased dose. I feel better mood wise, but I am so tired because I can't stay asleep. I go to bed and wake up and can't get back to sleep. It has been over 2 weeks since I have slept through the night. I am surviving on 5 hours or even less. Last night was only 4 hours of sleep. I tried a supplement called Melatonin last night, but didn't help. I toss and turn every few minutes and my feet hurt, burning then prickly sensations. I also jerk legs and arms every so often which freak me out. Anybody have any suggestions to what is going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
    GracesMomMom
    Veteran
    (female)

GracesMomMom HB User
    Re: Not Sleeping

If I were you I'd have a sleep study done. Sleep disorders (common with thyroid problems) can wake you up many times during the night. Maybe it's become uncovered since you've begun feeling better? Also do a search on this board about the foot sensations... I'm pretty sure I've heard of that on here. I know that jerking behavior can be a sleep disorder, don't remember what it's called. I think they can prescribe something for it. Do some research and talk to your doctor. Sleep disorders are very dangerous if allowed to continue.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
    Renee'

Renee' HB User

I dunno Bellajoon but it's only been 11 days since your increase? Maybe your body is still looking it over?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bellajoon
    Hello,
    It has been 11 days since I have been taking an increased dose. I feel better mood wise, but I am so tired because I can't stay asleep. I go to bed and wake up and can't get back to sleep. It has been over 2 weeks since I have slept through the night. I am surviving on 5 hours or even less. Last night was only 4 hours of sleep. I tried a supplement called Melatonin last night, but didn't help. I toss and turn every few minutes and my feet hurt, burning then prickly sensations. I also jerk legs and arms every so often which freak me out. Anybody have any suggestions to what is going on?

Bella.....what were your labs that you had an increase? Sorry to hear that you're not doing well, but that darn adjustment period can be a trial. Also, what are you taking? Sorry for being clueless.
    Judy

Old 04-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

I went through similar things when I upped my dose. After a couple of weeks, my body got used to the dose I guess and everything calmed down. I did take Tylenol PM to help me sleep at least every other night I was having problems. They've also come out with this stuff called Simply Sleep....made by Tylenol. It's the same thing as the PM, it just doesn't have the pain mediccine in it.
    Mine only lasted a few nights, but everytime I laid down, I told myslef I probably wouldn't be able to sleep and guess what..........

Old 04-19-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User

Thanks for the replies!
    I am still having problems sleeping and have not had a full nights sleep yet. Last night I got 4 hours. My legs are jerking along with arms too. It is so weird because I never had this problem before. I really wonder what I am running on. I had to have a crown prepped at the dentist today and I was freezing and shaking so badly, he had to get a blanket for me. It took me forever to stop shaking. Ugh, I sure hope things get better soon.
    Judy,
    My last labs on 3-30-04
    TSH .082 range .350-5.50
    FT4 .57 range .61-1.76
    FT3 2.8 range 2.3-4.2
    I am currently on 25 mcg Cytomel and 75 mcg Synthroid (He upped the synthyroid from 50 to 75.)
    I have to say though that my mood and depression has lifted. I am on generic prozac and effexor.
    Thanks all!

Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bellajoon
    Thanks for the replies!
    I am still having problems sleeping and have not had a full nights sleep yet. Last night I got 4 hours. My legs are jerking along with arms too. It is so weird because I never had this problem before. I really wonder what I am running on. I had to have a crown prepped at the dentist today and I was freezing and shaking so badly, he had to get a blanket for me. It took me forever to stop shaking. Ugh, I sure hope things get better soon.
    Judy,
    My last labs on 3-30-04
    TSH .082 range .350-5.50
    FT4 .57 range .61-1.76
    FT3 2.8 range 2.3-4.2
    I am currently on 25 mcg Cytomel and 75 mcg Synthroid (He upped the synthyroid from 50 to 75.)
    I have to say though that my mood and depression has lifted. I am on generic prozac and effexor.
    Thanks all!
    Oh.....geeeez......sorry, I get really upset seeing stuff like Prozac and Effexor being used without having you up to where you should be with your thyroid. Can't say what I'd do about that though.
    Your present dose of Synthroid 75 mcg is about equivalent to Armour 45 mg. about 36 mg of T4, and the T3 would be 9 mg. Note that "mcg" and "mg" are NOT the same. This dose is about HALF of what your starting dose should be. It's no wonder that you're feeling so bad.....you're not getting enough.
    Can you get on Armour? If you can, start out at 90 mg. Your Synthroid is really a low dose, as is your Cytomel.
    With Armour on 90 mg, you'd be taking 72 mg of T4 and 18 mg of T3 (Armour is T4 (80%) and T3 (20%). If you're unsure about what I'm writing, call a pharmacist and discuss the dosage comparisons with him.
    At any rate.....too low of a dose will make you feel worse than ever. Also, adjustment periods usually last 2 - 3 weeks each time.
    Your Free T's should both be in the mid-upper normals for your lab ranges. The uppers are best for women, men can't seem to do well that high, they're better in the mid range....as are elderly people and cardiac patients.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Judy

Old 04-20-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

Bella, I can sooooo relate. It's so frustrating to be sooo tired and not be able to sleep. I've had the same hypo symptom. I'll go to sleep and sleep for a few hours and then I'll wake up around 1 or 2 every night and be awake for 2 or 3 hours. It's madening!!! Tried Nytol, but it doesn't help. I understand this is due to hypo as my hypo friend Charlene had the same thing. Give your synthroid time to work or you may need an increase. Hang in there. You're not alone.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

I have been uppped from 50MG to 75MG of synthroid (from eltroxin) but not any other meds. into my second week now, and I feel guilty but I am feeling so much better I was expecting to be the same as I was two weeks ago, dragging my sorry self about, but I feel energetic.

I still wake up several times at night, but usually I just roll over and go back to sleep. So it is a broken sleep, and usually one trip to the bathroom, but that is prob me as I have forever been a person who has trouble sleeping through the night. (blame it on babies haha) well even if that was 24 years ago.

Bella Bella I am really rooting for you to get well, and feel great. Keep with a postive attitude (if you can that is) (((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Bonnie

Closed Thread