It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Newbie with nodule & cushings symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
    Sues Zoo 4

Sues Zoo 4 HB User
    Newbie with nodule & cushings symptoms

undefined
    Hi! I'm a newbie. A nodule 4-6 mm was found on my thyroid (left side) I have an appt with a surgeon on April 30 for a consultaion re a biopsie. I would rather go to an endo, but can't get in until July. I have symptoms of Cushings. Buffalo Hump, huge fat around collar bones, fatigue, etc etc! Anyone out there have these symptoms? The nurse thot maybe they could be caused by the nodule. My test for cortisol (Cushings) was 15.7. normal range. My thyroid test was also normal. Any help, info or ideas would be welome! I went on a cushing site & got nothing for answers. Thanks for the info! Sues

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
    lil'missdiagnosis
    (female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User
    Re: Newbie with nodule & cushings symptoms

Hi Sue,

It sounds like you have a fairly large nodule, is it cold, warm or hot? Depending on how it is functioning, your adrenal issues (Cushings symptoms) might be present due to too many or not enough thyroid hormones in your system. The adrenals are working in conjunction with the thyroid, pituitary, etc.... to keep the body working properly. So it is very possible that that nodule of yours could be effecting them.

Take Care,

lil'miss

Last edited by lil'missdiagnosis; 04-22-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
    Sues Zoo 4

Sues Zoo 4 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply! I don't know if the nodule is cold, warm or hot! No one said anything about it. Could they tell that from an ultra sound? What are your thoughts about having a surgeon do the biopsy? Hate to wait until July. The nurse said I would be likely to see an endo at some point. She said he would do it thru the mouth & not by needle as I've read everywhere. How do they get rid of a nodule if it's benign? & do the cushing symptoms go away after the nodule is eliminated? Lots of questions eh??? Any info is appreciated! Thanks a bunch! Sues

Old 04-22-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
    lil'missdiagnosis
    (female)

lil'missdiagnosis HB User

Hi again Sues,

Have you had a thyroid uptake test yet. This test can usually tell whether the nodule is cold, warm, or hot. A hot nodule usually causes ( but not always) hyperthyroid symptoms. Are you having any of those symptoms? Since your test for Cushings came back normal I would highly suspect the nodule to be the offender. I myself was tested for Cushings twice (both negative results) on my way to diagnosis with my nodule. When your nodule has been successfully treated your adrenal symptoms should correct themselves. You should eventually see an endo as well as the surgeon. The surgeon will probably be performing the biopsy. If you and your endo decide it would be best to have the nodule removed, I would suggest you look for one well versed in thyroid/thoracic surgery. I am feeling your pain with this medical detour in life. It will get better. Do you have any compressive symptoms in the neck area?

Hang in there,

lil'miss

Last edited by lil'missdiagnosis; 04-22-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
    Sues Zoo 4

Sues Zoo 4 HB User
    Wink Re: Newbie with nodule & cushings symptoms

Thanks for the reply! Like I said I can't get into an endo until July!! Hopefully the surgeon will get me in sooner! Have not had the thyroid uptake test yet. Suppose I'll have to suggest it like everything else! Not having much luck with drs!! LOL!
    Compressive symptoms? Not sure what that means? Trouble with choking on food & vitamins~yes! Raspy voice & coughing & clearing throat a lot.
    Anyway thanks for the info! Really appreciate it!
    Sues

Last edited by Sues Zoo 4; 04-23-2004 at 07:47 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
    LVLYEMM

LVLYEMM HB User

Hi, just wondering if you have a picture of the buffalo hump so i could compare.. I am begining to think that is what I have, never seen anyone outside my family with one (always thought it was just genetic) or can you better describe.. I would appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
    mellamella

mellamella HB User

Sue.....KEEP PRESSING FOR A CUSHINGS DIAGNOSIS in addition to thyroid malfunction !!!!!!

True your thyroid is working in conjunction with the adrenals and the whole endocrine system to make you well, but Cushings alone can cause your whole body to malfunction... How do I know? I am testing for Cushings(test far beyond the simple urine tests...we are doing stimulation tests and looking into saliva testing) and have had progresive cushings symptoms for the past 12 years and have had abnormal tests and MRI's of my pituitary.....the thyroid was the last new organ to be affected....I have 8 nodules in all on my thyroid...5 on the left lobe with a dominant nodule that is almost 2 inches in diameter and the right thyroid lobe I have 3 with a dominant nodule almost 1 inch and should mention that I have a fairly large goiter that appear last June 2003.

Lil'Miss:
    Testing twice for cushings is NOT enough to rule it out. UNLESS you had no physical symptoms and they were screening just to cover all the bases just in case. I consulted with a cushings expert and he did not say I didn't have it based on the fact that I was testing normal on some of my Urine Cortisol tests as I have many many cushings symptoms both in labs and in physical presentation. Just adding my 2 cents worth...don't take my comments about this as an insult of your knowledge. It's just that I have had the priviledge of meeting some really nice people that have been told that they were normal because they tested negative for cushings only to find out later that they had it...and some of them had thyroid issues that were still unresolved even after the cushings was resolved and vice versa.

Sue...You may have a case of cyclical cushings where your adreanals only secrete excessive amounts of cortisol in cycles... this type of cushings is even harder to diagnose or rule out.

you can look up cyclical cushings on the web....there is a lot of medical journal abstracts about it...[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 05-15-2004 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Do not post your email address. Please carefully review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
    twizzler3

twizzler3 HB User

i have several small nods on my right side and my endo said they have nothing to do with the way thyroid functions.

Closed Thread