It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Swollen Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 AM   #1
    Kiltee
    (male)

Kiltee HB User
    Swollen Throat

Hi guys,

I've had what feels like a swollen throat for the past two weeks or so. It doesn't feel swollen externally, but when I swallow, I can feel that my oesophagus feels tighter than usual - as if there's a lump blocking my throat. I'm having no difficulty breathing.

On a possibly related note, I've also had extreme stuffiness in my left ear for about the same length of time and am hoping that I have some sort of ears/nose/throat infection causing the thyroid gland in my neck to swell.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Does anyone have any advice, other than to get it checked by my doctor?

Last edited by Kiltee; 04-26-2004 at 04:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
    KandiKane

KandiKane HB User
    Smile Re: Swollen Throat

This sounds mighty familiar to me. I've had a swollen throat feeling and also a thick swollen tongue. While I had no trouble breathing, it was still very frightening and uncomfortable. You didn't say if you were having any other symptoms like hair loss, heart palps etc, but I had both of those plus several others. I saw my GP, a ENT, an allergist, a rheumatologist and an endocrinologist. The verdict finally turned out to be thyroiditis and the only medicine I was told to take was an over-the-counter anti-imflammatory, which really helped.

Hopefully, when you see your doctor he'll tell you it's just a sinus infection. That would be much easier to deal with. I am still dealing with the after affects and trying to find out how to prevent this from happening again.

I hope you can get an answer much quicker than I did.

Old 05-04-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
    STIGMATA666

STIGMATA666 HB User
    Re: Swollen Throat

you could have a condition called hyperthyroidism which means there is too much thyroid hormone in the body therefore making the thyroid gland over-active.
    the swelling of of the neck in this condition is in the front part of the neck.
    here are another few symptoms associated with this condition: irritability,increased perspiration,heart racing and you may lose weight despite a good appetite.
    if you dont have any of the above symptoms with your swollen throat then it is probably not hyperthyroidism.
    if it feels as though you have some kind of blockage in the throat you should see your doctor straight away as it may be something more serious.

Last edited by STIGMATA666; 05-04-2004 at 04:19 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
    GracesMomMom
    Veteran
    (female)

GracesMomMom HB User

Another possibility is that you have nodule(s) in your thyroid. I was experiencing the same swelling and difficulty swallowing and had an ultrasound where they found a couple of nodules. I'm on to more testing today to find out what kind of nodules they are. Definitely check with your doctor. It could be more. Also, FYI, a lot of people with thyroid conditions have a lot of trouble with inflammation of mucous membranes which leads to things like sinus infections (this is very common). So be careful that the symptoms don't mask the cause - if there is one.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
    JaneM
    (female)

JaneM HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kiltie
    Hi guys,

I've had what feels like a swollen throat for the past two weeks or so. It doesn't feel swollen externally, but when I swallow, I can feel that my oesophagus feels tighter than usual - as if there's a lump blocking my throat. I'm having no difficulty breathing.

On a possibly related note, I've also had extreme stuffiness in my left ear for about the same length of time and am hoping that I have some sort of ears/nose/throat infection causing the thyroid gland in my neck to swell.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Does anyone have any advice, other than to get it checked by my doctor?

Kiltie, I don't have any advice, but I currently have the exact same symptoms. When I was at the doctor's office two months ago, I complained of an earache. He looked in my ear, pronounced it infection-free, and offered no advice. Since then, the swallowing problem has surfaced. I notice it more at night when I lie down. I have another doctor's appointment in two weeks, so I'm going to try to impress upon him there there is a problem.

Good luck with yours -- I'll let you know what doctor says.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
    springbreak
    (female)

springbreak HB User
    To Kiltie

I have the exact same feeling as you describe. I do have a small goiter. I also have what they call TMJ. Do you have any real pain in your ear, or neck? I am going to have all kinds of tests to find out what causes that pain in my throat. I''l keep you posted, if you are interested

Old 05-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
    kalebnzekesmum

kalebnzekesmum HB User

sorry i don't have much advice, i just wanted to say that i'm feeling the same way you are. i've been in a lot of discomfort this last week. my neck started feeling weird a little over a week a go or so, my endo said he did feel a small goiter, but when i tried to feel it i didn't feel anything, today i can feel a 'lump'. my ear is driving me nuts. my lymph nodes are swollen and i have trouble/pain when i swallow. i'm just confused because i don't know if my thyroid is doing this or if i have a sinus infection or something simple so i don't know which doctor to call :P. i figure in a couple more days if things don't start feeling better i'm going to make one of them see me. (my family dr or my endo) i'm miserable.
    i had an ultrasound done on my thyroid about a month and a half ago and it showed up normal. i suppose it's possible that something's changed since then..i dunno.
    i'll keep you posted if you're interested.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:59 AM   #8
    Kiltee
    (male)

Kiltee HB User

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I too feel as if I've had a really blocked left ear over the past fortnight or so and as the stuffiness in my ear has gone down over the past few days, so too the lump in my throat seems to have become less prominent. I have an appointment with my GP later this afternoon, so I'll keep you posted!

Thanks agin for all your advice - it's really appreciated!

Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #9
    hyperone

hyperone HB User

I had a sore throat for over two months. Complicated by allergy season, I think my doctor either thought I was a hypochondiac. However, I waited another and went back and told her it still hurt. She gave me a referral to an ENT since she did not know what was going on and decided to rerun labs from 6 months ago. She called and said "it's not your imagination, it's your thyroid. Go to the endo instead of ENT"
    I'm hyper right now and going for a scan on Thursday to determine if it is graves or a relapse of Post Partum thyroiditis from seven years ago. Although my thyroid is screwed up, the endo also said I may have a nodule on my vocal chords. One thing at a time though!

Old 05-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
    springbreak
    (female)

springbreak HB User

throat is a funny part of the body. so many diefferent things can go wrong there, it's hard to know which doctor you have to see.

Closed Thread