It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid issues? what are the signs???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User
    thyroid issues? what are the signs???

someone suggested i come here and find out more about thyroid issues because i have been really fatigued latly and just had a baby. so can anyone tell me what the signs of a problem is? and where in the thyroid located in the body anyway?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: thyroid issues? what are the signs???

Here's a link to a site with easy-to-understand basic information about the thyroid gland and some common malfunctions related to it. HypOthyroidism is by far the most common disorder, eight times more common than hypERt, so keep that in mind when you compare your symptoms to those on the lists.
    [url]http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/disorders.html[/url]

If you can get a hold of a copy of Thyroid for Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin, there's very good information there too. Also, read our "Information Archive" thread at the top of the subject list on this site for more ideas about how to proceed.

Post-childbirth is a very common time to experience trouble with the thyroid, as is any time of life when the female hormones fluctuate greatly.
    Just ask if you have more questions!

Old 04-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooke~Lynn
    someone suggested i come here and find out more about thyroid issues because i have been really fatigued latly and just had a baby. so can anyone tell me what the signs of a problem is? and where in the thyroid located in the body anyway?
    Your thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland that sits in the front of your throat about midway between the top of your neck and the bottom.

Thryoid related symptoms vary and can include, muscle aches, weight gain/loss, hair loss, weakness, dizziness, breathing problems, etc.

Check out the informative archives at the top of the posting page, ther is a ton of info and symptoms listing in there.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
    Brooke~Lynn

Brooke~Lynn HB User

thank you all for the support....i have had hair loss ever since my daughter was born (i mean A LOT of hair loss) thank goodness my hair is thick and i could afford to lose some lol though it is somewhat better now...
    but thank you i will look at the book, website, and the information at the top....guess i should have seen that first

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-27-2004 at 07:19 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:29 AM   #5
    chrislon
    (female)

chrislon HB User

Hi,

I have heard that hair loss after giving birth and while you are breast feeding is perfectly normal and very usual. Most of my friends have experienced this. Your hair does not fall out when you are pregnant and hence it does twice as much after birth.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

That is correct, hair does not fall out during pregnancy or at least not at the rate it normally would. Also childbirth is like trauma to the body, and anytime there is any type of trauma (child birth, surgery, thyroid problems etc) you will loose large amounts of hair, so that part is normal. However, hair loss usually starts 3 months after the birth, when was your baby born?

The question is, are you experiencing any of the other thyroid related symptoms, or are you only having hair loss and fatigue (which is also normal after having a baby...sleep deprivation). After having a baby it is also common to have thyroid problems start, so if you are having other symptoms then you may want to have it checked, just make sure you ask for the right tests which would be TSH, FREE T3, FREE T4 and thyroid antibody testing, be sure to specify the Free tests.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, the informative archives are very full of info and very good to read but if you have any other questions feel free to post anytime.

Take care,

Closed Thread