It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Carpal Tunnel?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
    kmcc

kmcc HB User
    Carpal Tunnel?

What does carpal tunnel syndrome feel like? It is a symptom of being to low, no?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
    pickapro1999
    (female)

pickapro1999 HB User
    Re: Carpal Tunnel?

Hi, I am Kris.

Your question is unclear, if you mean can hypo thyroid give you symtoms like carpal tunnel, the answer is probably yes, but not always. All the symtoms of hypo thyroid can be interchanged with other physical problems.

Go look at the list of symtoms in the archives and see if you have any more.

After starting meds. I did have problems with my hands, but with this disease all things are relivent to the individual.

Hope that helped, post again and let us know if you have other symtoms and whether you have gotten any blood tests.

Welcome to the boards, there is alot of info here and also very knowledgable people willing to help with any problem you may have.

May God Bless One And All.

Last edited by pickapro1999; 05-08-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

Have a lot of people with Hypothyroid gotten CTS? What symptoms did you feel with the CTS? My arm goes to sleep a lot at night.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
    mezzaluna
    Inactive

mezzaluna HB User

i dealt for 9 years with a repetitive strain injury, though it never was carpal tunnel, although come to think of it i used to wake up often with my hands asleep.

i had muscle strain - which seemed to have to do with muscle tension, B-vitamin deficiencies, and carrying excess body weight. none of my doctors made the explicit connection with my hashimoto's, but i feel at least the excess weight was related. i don't know if B-vitamin deficiencies are related - i was also vegetarian and on the birth control pill, both of which can cause you to be low on B vitamins.

retention of fluids in your tissues can cause compression of nerves running through the carpal tunnel... and fluid retention is related to hypo, so i would say it is related...

my symptoms were more muscular aches and pains - true CTS should show more nerve-related symptoms - numbness and tingling.

-rosemary

Old 05-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
    ldolson

ldolson HB User

I had carpal tunnel release surgery done approximately nine years ago. The symptoms that I experienced were more of a feeling of my hand going to sleep during the day. My symptoms were just in my hands, whereas some people can get pain all the way up to their elbows. I really didn't have pain, just the irritating numbness and tingling. When they did the surgery, I had more compression on my median nerve than my carpal nerve. Sad to say, the surgery was only a temporary fix for about six years. I now have symptoms again, but am putting up with them. I am now experiencing the pain that I did not have before.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Talking Re: Carpal Tunnel?

hi,

symptoms of CTS: numbness and tingling during the day, some pain ...

in the nite tho', much pain and/or numbness, and yes, the reason is water retention if you're hypo ...

there's a "stickie" thread at the top of this board and at least one of the topics is hypo symptoms ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:08 AM   #7
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I had carpal tunnel for years, always attributed it to the use of the computer mouse. Since I started hypoT meds I forgot I had it.

There is a correlation between hypoT and CTS, I have seen it listed in many of the hypoT symptoms.

It was mostly pain at night, then tingling of the hands, feeling of pins and needles. I am glad that is gone.

Mintchoc

Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 AM   #8
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

and to add that people who use their hands for life stuff tend to develop Carpal Tunnel. I am involved in the deaf world (deaf parent) and after a life time of hand signs (ASL) many of the elderly and not so eldery deaf develop this. As do interrpreters for the deaf (hearing who sign for a living) For the deaf who communicate ONLY with signs, it is a terrible thing...almost as if I lost the ability of speech and could not write.....

I have hypo and I find that at times my hands fall asleep, and I have developed a ganglion cyst on the inside wrist of the right hand. I use the computer alot (writer) and do not 'sign that well' so I put my hand prob down to combo of thyroid disease, and repetitive strain.

I was under the impression (through the deaf people in my life) that the thumb and the baby finger will eventually sort of pull together, making opening the hand neigh on impossible. My parent is 86 and is beginning this as well, but also has osteoarthritis (thank goodness not Rhumetoid) cuse spelling guys!1

Bonnie

Closed Thread