It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Uptake Pre-Worries - Does this sound right?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
    dignity
    (female)

dignity HB User
    Thyroid Uptake Pre-Worries - Does this sound right?

I'm new to the board and have been trying to gather information on the Thyroid Uptake exam.

My background is that I had went to the doctor because of a tightness or a strangling sensation in my neck that I had for at that time 6 month. I also had a lot of symptoms of being hypo (weight gain, tired all the time, etc). MY blood tests came back fine (I don't have my exact TSH level or anything like that because I didn't know what to ask for at the time). After the blood tests came back, I was ready to pass it off as stress. My doctor however was not going to let me get away with that, and he said he felt a "swollen spot" on the right side of my throat.

I went for my ultrasound. I was only able to talk to a nurse about my results from the ultrasound - she said they found a complex nodule on the right side and that I needed a Thyroid Uptake.

From everything I've read, most places make you fast for several hours. I asked the place that I'm going to have mine done and they said it was not necessary. The only thing they did is they had to schedule it in June because I was taking a multi-vitamin.

Unfortunately I won't know anything more until the end of June.

My questions are (so far):
    Can they tell the difference between a cyst and a nodule on an ultrasound?
    Is it normal not to have to fast for a thyroid uptake exam?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: Thyroid Uptake Pre-Worries - Does this sound right?

I'm not sure about the answer to question 1, but I don't remember fasting before my uptake. It's all such a blur now though -- I was hyperactive (not hypo, so the rules of engagement may be COMPLETELY different) and the first thing I did once they diagnosed the nodules (my dr. diagnosed the nodules with his hands) was a Fine Needle Aspiration (fna) and determined they were not malignant. Next, I did the ultrasound (I think that's what it was called) where they took pictures of my thyroid from four different angles to tell if the nodules were "hot" or "cold". It is my understanding that these things are done in order to determine how they want to treat it - with medicine or with surgery. Next, I went for my uptake which consisted of going to the nuclear medicine department of my hospital at 8am and being administered a small dose of radioiodine. I had to go back 4-6 hours later to have the uptake done and it was over in a jiff. Like I said, I don't ever remember having to fast -- definately not the night before or anything, but maybe I was told to not eat between the administration of the pill in the morning and the uptake in the afternoon. I'm sure I gave you more information than you were looking for, but hopefully some of it was useful.

You have DEFINATELY came to the right place though -- everyone here is super helpful and before your post moves on, I'm sure you'll have the answers you are looking for. Good luck to you!!

Last edited by brandekristene; 05-21-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
    Renee'

Renee' HB User
    Smile Re: Thyroid Uptake Pre-Worries - Does this sound right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dignity
    ...The only thing they did is they had to schedule it in June because I was taking a multi-vitamin.
    How would the fact that you are taking a multi-vitamin affect your test? I mean, what did they think the multi-vitamin would do to the results? Did they make you stop taking it for a few weeks or something, and THAT is why you have to wait until June?

Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
    dignity
    (female)

dignity HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Renee'
    How would the fact that you are taking a multi-vitamin affect your test? I mean, what did they think the multi-vitamin would do to the results? Did they make you stop taking it for a few weeks or something, and THAT is why you have to wait until June?

What I was told is that most multi-vitamin's contain iodine and for some reason iodine in pill form takes a long time to clear out of the system. The extra iodine from the vitamins they said can 'blur' the pictures from the uptake. I'm just going by what the lady who scheduled my appointment told me. I really don't know much about it.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
    lisaa

lisaa HB User

Yes it is true that the morning of your thyroid uptake scan nothing to eat. Actually it's midnight the night before your scan. This is done 2 days in a row. First day you take your pill and then return a few hours later for your uptake. Next day, you return and they do your uptake again and then the scan. Painless and its pretty quick. If a nodule is found on the ultrasound and your TSH is fine then the next step to me would be a fine needle biopsy FNA. Did you have you antibodies tested? I would opt to skip the uptake/scan and go for a biopsy at this point. If the sample they take comes out clean then go ahead and do a uptake/scan. I don't know your history but from the sounds of it your new to all this right? If you do go for the uptake/scan I would research the LID low iodine diet and follow the diet for a few weeks before your scan. The idea of depleteing your body of iodine, they give you a radioactive iodine pill in very small dose for the uptake/scan, this way you thyoid sucks up the iodine because you have starved it. Your thyroid is what takes up iodine. You can take multi-vits just make sure they do not include iodine. Again this is only advice. Good luck and keep us posted My history THYCA papillary complete ********ctomy '94

Closed Thread