It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• HURTHLE CELLS...need help w/interpretation!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
    rhyanenrose
    Inactive

rhyanenrose HB User
    HURTHLE CELLS...need help w/interpretation!

Hi. I am new to the board seeking some answers. I had a FNAB for a small nodule on my right lobe. I got tired of waiting around for the results, so I went and picked them up myself. I can't figure out exactly what this means, except that I will probably have to go through a surgical biopsy to determine whether this is cancer or not.

Here's what my report says:

Diagnosis:

Fine needle aspirate right lobe of thyroid gland: slightly atypical follicle cells with Hurthle cell features and evidence of bleeding

see coment.

Comment:

The findings are suggestive of nodular/adenomatous goiter with Hurthle cell features, associated with moderate amount of cytoplasm, thick colloid material and evidence of bleeding. No definite papillary clusters, nuclear pseudoinclusions or repeated microfollicles are seen.

The differential daignostic considerations include adenomatous goiter and follicular neoplasm. These two are difficult to differentiate from one another based on cytology alone. Please consider complete excision of the lesion for histologic verification.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PCP is washing his hands of this and sending me to an endocrinologist, which I will not be able to get in to see until June 21st. There is also a history of thyroid cancer in my family, but I'm not sure which type. I have read that radiation can cause some thyroid cancer and I grew up in fallout territory of the Nevada test site, which makes me even more paranoid. There is alot of cancer in the town where I grew up.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows about these hurthle cells and what your experience was. Did any of you find out through FNAB that it was definite Hurthle cell carcinoma, or did they have to excise the nodule before finding out for sure?

Thanks a ton.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
    Aimee8396
    Veteran
    (female)

Aimee8396 HB User
    Re: HURTHLE CELLS...need help w/interpretation!

I'm not sure what Hurthle cell changes are even though I had them too..... I had a papillary/follicular mix cancer removed in Nov of 02. It sounds like they will want to take a surgical biopsy of the mass to determine if it is cancer. Follicular carcinoma can only be determined in a final pathology report, so be prepared to have 2 surgeries. You can insist they take the entire thyroid, and with your history of thyroid cancer and the fact that you were exposed to a lot of radiation growing up I would say beg them just to take the whole gland at once. I had 2 small kids at the time of my surgeries, yes I had 2, even though They had seen the papillary cells in the FNA. They didn't find them in the frozen section they did while I was under, so a week later when final path came back positive for both, they hacked me open again and took the rest of my thyroid. I was told everything was fine with the other half, but I am in the process of moving to another state and was given my records... In reading them found out that there were Hurthle cell changes in the other half of the thyroid as well. I think this means that the cells were abnormal and changing, but not yet cancerous. Is the endo they referred you to a surgeon? If not they may end up referring you to a ENT surgeon or someone else and then you have another wait on your hands. Find out so you can save time. Good luck, and know that thyroid cancer is VERY easily treated, and it's like no other cancer out there. It still stinks to have, but if you have to have some type of cancer this is the one to choose. Hugs and prayers, Aimee

Old 05-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
    rhyanenrose
    Inactive

rhyanenrose HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aimee8396
    It still stinks to have, but if you have to have some type of cancer this is the one to choose. Hugs and prayers, Aimee
    Yes, my mom was saying that the surgeon who operated on her said the same thing. It's easily treatable.

But the C word is kinda scary just because I don't know what to expect.

I am really hoping that this turns out to be a goiter. I have alot of hypothyroid symptoms though and hope that this endocrinologist will run anti-thyroid antibodies for Hashimoto's as well...it is one of the few thyroid tests that haven't yet been run. I want him to rule out every possible thyroid disease in the book.

I am not sure if this doctor does surgery as well, but my hubby works in the medical field and knows who is good and who isn't, so we have an ENT in mind that will do the job if necessary.

Thanks so much for your reply. I hope all is going well for you and you have regained your health. Keep in touch.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
    jsturg

jsturg HB User

I just went thru the same thing,had a 4.5 CM nodule that showed Hurthle cells in the biopsy but when the removed the lobe they found papillary cancer and now I have to have the other lobe taken out. Push for the whole thing out and save yourself some time under the knife.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
    rhyanenrose
    Inactive

rhyanenrose HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsturg
    I just went thru the same thing,had a 4.5 CM nodule that showed Hurthle cells in the biopsy but when the removed the lobe they found papillary cancer and now I have to have the other lobe taken out. Push for the whole thing out and save yourself some time under the knife.
    Wow! Were they not able to detect that it was papillary cancer through FNAB?

Old 05-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
    Aimee8396
    Veteran
    (female)

Aimee8396 HB User

They FOUND papillary cells in my FNAB, but yet the frozen section only showed follicular cells (which can't be determined as cancer until final path), so they only took the one lobe and told me I probably didn't have cancer at all...... A week later I was back in surgery with 2 types of cells papillary and follicular carcinoma. I wish I had pushed for a TT, recovering from that 2nd surgery was ROUGH! If you can get the whole thing done at once go for it, the 2nd surgery isn't worth it. Aimee

Closed Thread