It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Finally an Answer!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
    faeriegirl25
    Veteran
    (female)

faeriegirl25 HB User
    Question Finally an Answer!!!!!

After 7 years of dealing with agoraphobia and panic attacks, fatigue and irritability, I recieved my answer today. It seems that my thyroid level is " a little under" My question is how can my levels be a little under when I feel like I am going crazy all of the time? I don't know what the ranges were until tommorrow when I go in, so she can feel my thyroid I don't understand this and am quite freaked out about it. If anyone has had that experience I'd like to hear about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Finally an Answer!!!!!

I would venture to say most of us on this board, whether daily 'regulars' or just passing through, have run into a doctor or three who hadn't a clue about what an optimal thyroid test panel consists of or should look like. Read the sticky thread at the top of the subject page titled "Let's post our stories...". You'll see what I mean.

Take Prunepie's advice about getting your own lab copy and educating yourself. That's what it takes to get properly treated. General practioners receive about an hour's worth of training in endocrinology, and they don't keep up with the latest research about it.
    You will definitely need to look out for yourself as much as you can.

Last edited by midwest1; 06-02-2004 at 05:33 AM.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
    faeriegirl25
    Veteran
    (female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

:wave
    First of all, thank you for all your advice and direction. I went to the dr today and my TSH was 6.82? They had not recieved the T3 or T4 and she was going by the TSH alone. She prescribed Levoxyl to me and suggested I come back in 6 weeks. I have never heard about this type of medication and was wondering if it worked like synthroid. I am still irritated at the fact I had to fight my family dr for so long only to be handed a prescription for medicine to treat merely the symptoms..... finally took taking it in my own hands and talking with a nurse practitioner to get anything done. I am heart-broken that some of you on here are still having all of these symptoms and being turned away bec of " ranges". This is a great board and I am glad that I stumbled onto it in my time of need. All of you are truly wonderful.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Congratulations on having the moxie it takes to make yourself be heard!
    Levoxyl is another brand of T4 medication, like Synthroid, Unithroid, Levothroid, and several others. They're all the same basic med. There are also combination T4/T3 meds - like the natural Armour and Naturethroid, and the synthetic Thyrolar. These work better for a lot of people who fail to get complete relief from T4 only.

I hope this is a new doctor that who finally Rx'ed the Levoxyl, not the one who put you off for 7 years. A TSH of 6.82 is way worse than "a little under". Ninety-five percent of the healthy population - that is, those without thyroid disease - has a TSH between 1-1.5. You can see yours is way off... No doubt you feel terrible. If it is the same doctor who put you off, be aware that through the long haul, he/she probably isn't going to work in your best interest. You should've been treated long before your TSH got that high.

Keep reading and learning everything you can about your condition. It's the surest way to get the treatment you need. There are reading recommendations in the sticky thread titled "Information Archive".

Old 06-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
    faeriegirl25
    Veteran
    (female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

Hugs to you Midwest...
    Thank you so much for your knowledge and information. This is a different Doc that finally diagnosed me... though they work in the same building.( when I came out of her office I seen my family dr, the one who put me off all this time. I felt like sticking my tongue out at him.) WOW, I did not realize that my range was way more than a little under... knowing this does take away the anxiety of questioning why I feel like I do. Thanks so much

Closed Thread