It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can antibodies 'disappear' over the years?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
    sunishah18

sunishah18 HB User
    Question Can antibodies 'disappear' over the years?

Just been doing some reading on the boards regarding antibodies and hashimotos. The more I read about this, the more I think this is what I may have. I got my blood test results yesterday and were told they were 'normal'. However, in previous tests (a few years ago) I was told I had 'positive antibodies'. This time round they didn't test for antibodies but I was just wondering, if I had them before is there a chance I might still have them or would/could they have gone away? Could antibodies just disappear? Also, what does 'positive antobodies' actually mean???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User
    Re: Can antibodies 'disappear' over the years?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunishah18
    Just been doing some reading on the boards regarding antibodies and hashimotos. The more I read about this, the more I think this is what I may have. I got my blood test results yesterday and were told they were 'normal'. However, in previous tests (a few years ago) I was told I had 'positive antibodies'. This time round they didn't test for antibodies but I was just wondering, if I had them before is there a chance I might still have them or would/could they have gone away? Could antibodies just disappear? Also, what does 'positive antobodies' actually mean???

Antibodies do not disappear, but once you know it's present you can be prepared for the ups and downs that go with it. Some days are hyper and some days are hypo.....it's a roller coaster ride, until it settles down, whereafter you will be permanently hypothyroid.
    As for the "normal", please post the results because there's no such thing in thyroid-land. If you haven't had your Free T3 and Free T4's done, you really don't know where you stand because most of the tests routinely performed are pretty useless. These tests only check the level of your available thyroid hormone that you're body can use. If they're not in the mid-upper ranges of your lab ranges, you're probably going to continue to feel like nothing....
    Please get copies and post them and we will try to explain where they should be.
    Good luck!

Old 06-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunishah18
    Also, what does 'positive antobodies' actually mean???
    Antibodies generally mean you have Hashimoto's Thyroidititus, antibodies are attacking your thyroid and killing it. Also there are some antibodies that are associated with Graves disease, but Hashi's is more common as it is the leading cause of hypo-T.
    Please get copies of your labs and post them along with the ranges.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
    K9Mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K9Mom HB User

TPO (Thyroid Perioxidase) antibodies are responsible for Hashimoto's.

TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulins) are responsible for Graves.

All antibodies are made of proteins. If the trigger that makes you produce the antibodies is removed, then the antibodies (proteins) will break down and be reabsorbed by the body in about 3-4 months time.

I don't know about Hashimoto's...but with Graves, one trigger for antibody production can be high ingestion of iodine (also stress). If the offending trigger is removed, then technically antibody levels will fall.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
    sunishah18

sunishah18 HB User

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

My lab ranges are:

TSH - 0.51
    Free T4 - 16.54
    FT3 - 5.26

By the way, I'm based in the UK so I think the Free values may be different to the US.

The doc I saw said that as these results came out normal then antibodies would not be tested. However, I know in the past I did have positive antibodies but I don't know which ones they were. Because I feel so bad and am trying so desperately to find out why, I've been reading about Hashimoto's recently and thought maybe this is what I have? From what I read the lab results can look normal but if antibodies exist then this could be due to hashimotos. Is it worth me trying to find another doc who would do this test for me or should I just accept that there really is nothing wrong with me and I'm just imagining all of these things happening? Some of the symptoms I have are:

Extreme fatigue (especially in the mornings)
    Dry flaky skin
    Feel cold all the time
    Headaches (get them almost every day)
    Weight gain without any obvious reason (i.e not over eating, exercising 4-6 times a week)
    Feel so down, don't know if this is depression or not
    Sometimes wake up feeling really shakey

I also have 2 nodules, one hot, one cold and am waiting for an appointment to come through for a FNA. I don't know how long this is going to take though.

Any ideas anyone?

Closed Thread