It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Synthroid and Vivid Dreams - Weird Huh

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 AM   #1
    Eeyore22

Eeyore22 HB User
    Synthroid and Vivid Dreams - Weird Huh

Greetings all,

Weird question - does anyone on Synthroid experience long, vivid dreams?

I have been on Synthroid for 2 1/2 weeks and while it doesn't keep me awake, I seem to dream all night long - and wake up exhausted - even more than usual.

I go to my endo - first visit - in July. I figure I'll hang in there until then although I must say I have a bad feeling about him. He is very nice and I've actually met him before so I was hopeful but when he called to go over my bloodwork with me he said - "Oh your TSH is only 4.3 - so you're only a 'little bit' hypothyroid." I asked about my free t's and he said - "they're normal" (I will get copies of the labs). So I asked him about what he goes by for treatment - how I feel or lab values - because I told him that I understand that some people feel better at different ends of the normal range and he said the dreaded words "I usually go by TSH". I wanted to scream! He also stated that he wasn't sure all of my symptoms were thyroid related and didn't want to get tunnel vision. I'm going to give him a shot but I'm not getting a good feeling. I'm going to request antibodies with the next lab draw which I'm supposed to have done a couple of days before my appointment. I'm kind of sad because I was in hopes that he would be a good fit. But, I'm going to try to be optimistic and maybe I can change the way he treats thyroid patients.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from others. It is reassuring to know it's not just me

Thanks,
    Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
    imoutrunning
    (female)

imoutrunning HB User
    Re: Synthroid and Vivid Dreams - Weird Huh

YES! When I first started taking Synthroid (10 weeks ago), I had some really interesting, long, complicated, very vivid dreams. It calmed down, but each time I've had that TOM since then, the long vivid dreams have come back. Dreams where you wake up still feeling whatever emotion you're feeling in the dream and it takes a couple of hours to leave. Now, I have to say that I normally dream quite a bit - but this was a bit different, more "involved." Tiring, like you mentioned.

My TSH was 4.39 when i first started getting the doctor to pay attention, 3.41 when she agreed to treat me. Six weeks on 25mcg only brought it down to 3.39, so I was upped to 50mcg. I don't get blood drawn until June 21st, but I know this dosage is not enough. I didn't ask my doctor how she would address it - I *told* her what I expected - for my TSH to be brought down to between .8 and 1.5 because that is where I feel best, provided that hasn't changed and it works out that I do feel best at that level.

Maybe you should bring your doctor some info from the AACE website about treating hypothyroidism, about the goal for treatment to bring TSH to thus & thus - maybe since he's a numbers guy, he'll listen to that.

Glynis

Old 06-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

I totally agree with you both. I was switched from our Eltroxin (canada) 50mg to synthroid 75mg just now 6 or so weeks ago, after being on eltroxin since 1996. My dreams for the first 2 weeks of this new change were NEAT I really mean that. I always have had great dreams, some weird, some very scary, and some normal (as far as normal can go)

Synthroid dreams for me were Halarious, I laughed outloud so much I woke myself up...some I could remember some not the whole thing....they were so funny, never sad, angry, or scary...but after that period they are back to their normals stuffs, but not scary at all anymore.

I woke up DH and our cat, and my dd with my LOUD guffawing.... really honestly and for real.

Eltroxin dosnt come in 75mg size just the 25 then 50 then 100 100 made me very headachy, and 50 was fine for many a year then this switch.....maybe tis a plot to make us all potsyhappy and goofy?

Last edited by BonBe; 06-07-2004 at 01:16 PM.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
    hypolarry
    (male)

hypolarry HB User

I was also on synthroid, .1mg and had really bizarre dreams, but I liked them . They were so real it was frightening. I have recently switched to Armour and have not had the dreams to that level since.
    If your doctor won't treat your symptoms, find another one. I found my best approach to my Doctor was to know before I went into his office what I wanted to accomplish in that visit. What test I wanted to have done (my doctor doesn't test free t4 and t3, but he did upon my request), I also wanted to switch from synthroid to armour and he was reluctant at first and I just asked him what I had to lose since I still felt like crap and nothing else seemed to help.
    I am also now seeing a Naturopathic Doctor, and he seems to me to be more knowledgeable about thyroid problems then the endo I saw last summer or my regular Doctor. He is mentioning reverse t3, saliva test among others that no one else ever mentioned to me.
    Unfortunately it can be a long process to find a good Doctor or the right therapy that will work for you. But be patient and keep going forward.
    Be well
    Mark

Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
    Eeyore22

Eeyore22 HB User

Thank you all. Yes, these dreams are neat but they're wearing me out! At least they're not frightening.

I ordered three books on thyroid disorders and fully intend to direct my care as best I can. Like I said, I know this doctor somewhat and have always found him to be pretty nice about things so we'll see. I'm going to optimistic but I'm also going to be realistic and if things aren't going in the direction I think they should, I'll cut my losses and move on.

Thanks for the great support!
    Carol

Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

Gee I don't know if one can cuts ones losses and move on....with Thyroid disease it has to be treated some way..... keep on trying and remember that it takes heaps of time, for someone like me, who have no other outside thyroid health problems to deal with.

Peace be with you
    Bonnie

Old 06-08-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
    Eeyore22

Eeyore22 HB User

Hi Bonnie -

You're right, it does need to be treated - what I meant was move on to another doctor who would actually listen to me. If I've learned nothing else from this site it's to not give up until I feel better.

You've all been great support - thank you,

Carol

Closed Thread