It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Interpretation of Free T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2004, 03:14 AM   #1
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User
    Interpretation of Free T4

I just got my results from my last tests and they are the following:
    TSH: 0.24 (0.35 to 5.00)
    Free T4: 16 (9 to 23)
    I see by the Free T4 that I am exactly at the mid point of the range. Many of you have told me that I should be in the upper range of the Free T4 range. Can you give me a web site where I can find that information? I would like to have a print out so I can give it to my endo. He doesn't know that as he won't give me more thyroxine (synthroid). I was on 0.088 synthroid when i had these tests done and still feel achy tight muscles, tired, restless, poor concentration, etc. He would not up the dose to .1.

So, as of a week ago when i saw him he put me on Armour (Thyroid hormone here in Canada) 45 mg and i get the feeling this will not help much as what i really need is more t4.

I see him again on Aug. 16 and want to be ready (should the Armour not work) to provide him with some documentation to show that i should really be in the upper range of the T4 and that he shouldn't be looking at the TSH as anything at this point.

In the meantime I'm seeing a naturopath who finally tested my Free T3 (my endo did not do it) and will get the results when i see her again in early July.

Please help. Thanks much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: Interpretation of Free T4

Can't post the website it against board rules, but you may want to look up information by the following drs, this is a list of drs Midwest posted on another thread.
    Dr. John Dommisse
    Dr. Kenneth Blanchard
    Dr. Richard Shames
    Dr. David Derry

Good luck

By the way, additional Armour should bring up your T4 as well as your T3, its about 80% T4 and 20% T3.

Last edited by dea4; 06-25-2004 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've been searching through those experts' writings that I can find online. So far, I've only found their opinion that TSH can safely be below the range, but nothing about the frees above mid-range. The only one I found who specifically says that is Dr. Mercola. *
    *Edited to say... I will keep looking and report back if I find more. I desperately need a reference to this myself.

Your 3/4 grain of Armour isn't equivalent to your .088 Synthroid. A full grain approximates the .088 more closely. It could be he is starting you out slowly on the Armour, to avoid complications that can happen starting out with T3; but if you feel yourself 'crashing' within a week or two, I wouldn't hesitate to call and ask for an dose bump in order to get back to a dose closer to the Synthroid's.

Last edited by midwest1; 06-25-2004 at 08:25 AM.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
    Ltraci2
    (female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Oh my. My Free T4 was .78 7 weeks ago and has dropped to 0.40 since put on Cytomel. A whole other issue. I have a post on the front page asking for help.

This is so confusing. lol

Traci

Old 06-27-2004, 04:42 AM   #5
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

Thanks much. I should reread the rules about the board as I keep forgetting (as you all know hypo does amazing things to your memory ). My apologies. I guess I'm getting desperate and as many of you, I'm looking for a doc who knows what they're doing.

In the meantime, I've found info that shows that many, many people do well on a very low TSH (almost suppressed in many cases) and as many of you have said, it is of little value in regulating your symptoms, but only valid in diagnosing initially.

You all have been a great help to me and I'm ever so grateful for this board.
    Thanks so much again.

For now, lets see what happens with the Armour. it's been 10 days since i started it and i notice little or no change one way or the other so far.

I'm so looking forward to the day (and i trust that that day will come) when i can write on the board and proclaim that i am feeling so much better. In the meantime, let's hang in there together all of us frustrated hypos.

Also, i forgot to mention, regarding the Armour dose, you're right, I realise that the 45 mgs is NOT equivalent to .088 synthroid and i had asked him for 60 mgs, but he would not go for it. he only has 3 other patients on dessicated thyroid and even had to look up the dose. he even remarked on how knowledgeable i was about armour. i'm glad he noticed i'm informed. i told him how desperate i was to start feeling well again and am researching as much as i can. he seems to respect me more now.

Last edited by cossette2; 06-27-2004 at 04:51 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something about thyroid dose

Old 06-27-2004, 04:59 AM   #6
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ltraci2
    Oh my. My Free T4 was .78 7 weeks ago and has dropped to 0.40 since put on Cytomel. A whole other issue. I have a post on the front page asking for help.

This is so confusing. lol

Traci
    Hi Traci,

I know how confusing this all is, but i want to clarify something. There are varying ranges for Free T4, so yours may not be so bad. I also know that Canadian and US ranges differ greatly. So make sure you CHECK YOUR RANGE. Hope that helps some.

Closed Thread