It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• saliva testing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
    miller01

miller01 HB User
    saliva testing

Has anyone used saliva testing for dx'ing thyroid, perimenopause, adrenal, etc.?

Which lab did you use and what was the outcome? Can you order tests form them direct and thus get the results direct?

I really am beginning to think that I have some other problem that is getting overlooked, in particular perimenopause or adrenal.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
    kh41126

kh41126 HB User
    Re: saliva testing

I have used saliva testing through ZRT labs in Oregon. They have a website. They will mail results directly to you, with a detailed explanation about what they mean. Personally, I feel saliva tests more accurately reflect what is going on in my body than blood tests. It was saliva testing that first confirmed that I was not nuts and that something was really wrong with me!!! I also have a good friend that has experienced great results with saliva testing and is now being treated successfully for hypothyroidism.

However, most doctors don't believe in this form of testing. I have only been able to find 1 doctor in the last three years who was even willing to look at my saliva test results and treat me on the basis of those tests. It simply isn't an acceptable form of testing for most doctors. If you are going to do it, make sure you find a doctor that will take you seriously when you bring the results in.
    Good luck!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
    miller01

miller01 HB User

kh,

Thanks!

I am seriously thinking about sending off for saliva testing. I think my progesterone is off, thus maybe too much estrogen, not allowing thyroid hormone to be used correctly.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-20-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
    kh41126

kh41126 HB User

Actually, estrogen dominance is where I started three years ago---It's what I thought was wrong. The saliva test did confirm that my progesterone/estradiol ratio was off and I started prescription progesterone cream. However, for me that wasn't the end of it, since I didn't get any better (other than PMS symptoms, which did improve a tiny bit). I kept researching and got a saliva thyroid test. Started thyroid medication and got a tiny bit better, but not completely. Finally had a battery of tests run through an endocrinologist and got an official diagnosis of AGHD (adult growth hormone deficiency). Am in the process of starting the medication for that as soon as my insurance company comes through with approval.

My advice? Definitely pursue a full hormonal panel from ZRT! It tests estradiol, cortisol, plus a bunch of others. I would also do a saliva thyroid test too. At least it gives you a place to start. I have known too many people whose blood tests didn't say a darn thing who have had good luck with saliva testing. For me, it was the only confirmation I had for a long time that I wasn't crazy and it was my incentive to keep going even when doctors didn't believe me. Good luck! Don't give up!

Closed Thread