It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Internal Tremors

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
    carolmerrill

carolmerrill HB User
    Question Internal Tremors

Several months ago, I had sensation of "bugs" crawling under my skin in my arms, then it spread to my trunk. At night I had terrible body twitches, but these symptoms seemed to subside within a week. Then I had a partial hysterectomy (left my right ovary) several days later and felt fine the first day. When they took my epidural out and gave me Percocet for the pain, I started feeling shaky and the jerks returned. I wrote it off as side effect of medication. However, after returning home, the shakiness has not subsided. In fact, it feels worse. You can't see my body shake, I just feel shaky. My muscles feel jerky when I use them (walking down steps, lifting heavy objects etc.) You can actually see me shake when I hold a pencil to write, or tense up a muscle to use it. I feel this way all the time. It never goes away. My teeth will also chatter when i put them together.

I am also having incredible insomnia. It seems my nerves won't let my body shut down to go to sleep, even when I feel relaxed and am not thinking about anything in particular. The shaking subsides considerably when my body is at rest, so the physical feeling of the shaking is not what is keeping me awake. I have slept an average of 2-3 hours a night this entire summer. If I could just sleep, I could deal with the symptoms much better during the day. I have taken Ambien off and on to help me through incredibly rough periods, but I don't like taking sleeping pills. I still don't feel refreshed in the a.m.

There is some evidence that this may be thyroid related (2 blood tests, elevated T4 of 14.7 and 13.3, an uptake with elevated levels at 6 hour reading but normal at 24 hour reading, and free T4 level of 16.4 with the total T4 12.2) (Normal T4 is 6.5-10.5 and Normal free T4 is 6.0-11.4) I was on birth control pills for the 14.7 reading, but not the others. I am skeptical that this is thyroid related. It seems to me that I wouldn't be trembling all over all the time, and I am not sure that my levels are high enough to justify the symptoms I am having. My T4 levels are going down, but it seems my symptoms are worse now than the were just after my surgery. I am in the process of seeing and endo now.

Neurologist exam normal, EMG normal, MRI on brain and neck normal.

I also have developed a hypersensitivity to sound and light. It's like my nerves are hypersensitive and abrupt changes in sound or visual stimuli make my nerves jump.

I am at my wit's end. Does this sound like a thyroid problem or could it have a neurological basis? Has anyone else had anything like this? Is it possible that I am having a permanent reaction to the anasthaesia, the epidural, or the percocet?

I just want to go back to the way that I was feeling before I had my surgery. I want to be able to sleep when I want to, day or night. I want to be able to relax. It's like my body is always in high gear and I can't ever settle down. Help!

Last edited by carolmerrill; 08-12-2004 at 03:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to carolmerrill For This Useful Post:
    lbbl (09-02-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Internal Tremors

I don't have much knowlege on the blood tests results but someone else here surely does. Just wanted to tell you I had your symptoms when I had graves disease. I am not saying that is what you have. When I had graves disease I could not even write because my hand was so shaky. Another name is hyperthyroidism. I will step out and let someone with knowledge come in.

Betty

Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Just bumping!!!

Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
    carolmerrill

carolmerrill HB User

Before I saw the first endo, I was on tapazole for 3 weeks. I started at 20mg/day and eventually increased to 40 mg/day. Endo told me that tapazole didn't do any good unless you had Graves disease, so that's why it didn't work for me, because I didn't have Graves. I didn't care for this endo, so I am seeing another one next week, who will maybe listen to me a little better.

I can function with my hands just fine. I just don't feel like they move smoothly when I move. When they are at rest, they don't tremble, but as I sit here and type, there is a fine trembling in both hands.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
    carolmerrill

carolmerrill HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lady50
    Just bumping!!!
    I am new here. What is bumping?

Old 08-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolmerrill
    I am sorry. I was trying to keep your post up to the top so everyone could see it.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Welcome to the boards. I did not know you were new. I am sure someone will answer you. They are probably eating or whatever.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
    sunny3
    (female)

sunny3 HB User

HI Caroll,

Sorry that you are having such disconcerting symptoms. Could it be that it is due to the hormonal shift since you had your hysterectomy? Even though, ovaries are left, I have read that they tend to go into shock sometime due to a diminished blood supply from the surgery. This imbalance of estrogen and progesterone can create internal shaking and insomnia. There is a board on another site that is set up specifically for hysterectomy suport. You may want to do a search and perhaps visit that site also to see whehter this is a factor for you. Some GYN's are very helpful in treating with bioidentical hormone replacements.

Good luck to you.

Sunny

Old 08-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
    carolmerrill

carolmerrill HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunny3
    HI Caroll,

Sorry that you are having such disconcerting symptoms. Could it be that it is due to the hormonal shift since you had your hysterectomy? Even though, ovaries are left, I have read that they tend to go into shock sometime due to a diminished blood supply from the surgery. This imbalance of estrogen and progesterone can create internal shaking and insomnia. There is a board on another site that is set up specifically for hysterectomy suport. You may want to do a search and perhaps visit that site also to see whehter this is a factor for you. Some GYN's are very helpful in treating with bioidentical hormone replacements.

Good luck to you.

Sunny
    I had thought of that possibility as well. I was going to address it with the endo when I see him. My gyn didn't seem to think my symptoms had anything to do with my surgery when I saw her for my 2- and 6-week checkup after the surgery. But I guess you never can tell until you do some diagnostics.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #10
    sunny3
    (female)

sunny3 HB User

You may want to look at some books by Eliz Vliet, MD. Screaming to Be Heard is one title that is very informative and is probably available at your library or thru interlibrary loan. (Somewhere she claims that even a tubal ligation can reduce the ovarian fumction as a result of altered blood flow to the ovaries.) Suzanne Sommers' new book, The Sexy Years also discusses the use of bioidentical hormones. It helps to have your persoanl reserach done prior to visiting with the docs.

Good luck to you! You sound like you are in touch with your body and can best tell what you need.

Sunny

Old 08-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
    pwman

pwman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolmerrill
    Bumping just means posting so the thread will be recognized as newly posted and people will look at it. Sometimes older posts get lost in the shuffle and its a good way for it to be looked at again.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well thank you for clarifying the meaning of bumping.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #13
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

I get those internal tremors too and although still not fully diagnosed, I have been diagnosed with a Thyroid problem. Usually for me the attacks and tremors come when I "cycle" from Hypo to Hyper. I think I might have hashi's but doc has not confirmed it yet. I have high antibodoes and I know, through regular bloodwork, at times, when I feel like crap, my T3 and Free T3 goes abnormally high, which I think creates those tremors and panic attacks.

For me, as it can be for you, I think its actually a Thyroid "attack" - periods of stressful times when your Thyroid goes on the blink. During those times I have horrible panic attacks and the internal tremors in my left hand and left leg mainly. On the day when my Thyroid is not being "attacked" by antibodies, I usually do not get panic attacks or tremors. I was told meds will cure this, but Im yet to find a doc to properly diagnose me.

Usually this cycling is a precursor to the thyroid just burning itself out eventually. Either way, good luck. I know first hand how crappy these horrible panic attacks and tremors are.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Can anyone say over use of commas? Jeez....I think this Hypo is screwing up my writing abilities.

Old 08-14-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
    carolmerrill

carolmerrill HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypodude
    I get those internal tremors too.....
    ......how crappy these horrible panic attacks and tremors are.
    I have been miserable for 2 1/2 months! The tremors are really starting to affect my left hand. I have pain in my left arm muscles when I use them and it feels really weird when I use them for fine motor skills. This has been non-stop. I don't get panic attacks--I just feel anxious all the time.

Closed Thread