It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Hypo & have a question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
    irishgirl1013

irishgirl1013 HB User
    New Hypo & have a question

Hi Guys
    I was diagnosed with hypo after increased swelling in my legs. I had several of the signs (hair loss, cold, fatigue, weight gain) but never thought it was from a medical condition. My TSH was at 15.97. Is this really high? My doc has prescribed me 50 mg of synthroid and will test in 4 weeks.

My question is: I have read about SOO many people gaining weight on Synthroid-has anyone here that is hypo? I'm really scared of that since I've gained about 30 lbs in the past 2 years.

I'm also confused-I've seen people say they are hyper and on Synthroid-how can it be a medicine for both hyper and hypo?

Thanks guys!
    irishgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: New Hypo & have a question

Welcome to the boards.
    15.97 is high, but I've seen some with a higher TSH.
    Keep in mind the TSH is a pituitary response and your dr really needs to be checking and basing treatment on your FREE T3 and FREE T4 as those are the actual thyroid hormones. If your dr only goes by TSH you may want to find a different dr, TSH can be very deceiving, it can be within a normal range but if your FREE levels are not in the upper 1/3 of the lab range you will still feel poorly.

Weight gain on synthroid does happen to some, I have a friend that had to switch because she gained more weight on it and lost more hair, but.....it doesn't happen to everyone, some do fine on it. Personally I think the natural meds are better.

Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The people who say they're hyper and on Synthroid either have had medical treatment for their hyper which has left them hypo, or their dose of Synthroid is too high, which causes them to be temporarily hyper until their dose is adjusted. Synthroid is never prescribed for primary hyperT.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-16-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
    irishgirl1013

irishgirl1013 HB User

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to understand what I have-the doc was not so helpful when she just thought I might have it, I was told by a nurse 3 days later who basically called and told me to take this prescription.
    What is a normal level of T3 and T4?
    irishgirl

Old 08-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Normal level would be the upper 1/3 of your lab range, all labs have different ranges so you have to find your own area your numbers need to be in.
    To find mid range take the high and low number of the lab range and add them together, then divide by 2, this would be mid range and you want your lab result to be above this.
    So...IF your lab range for FT4 would be .8-1.8 then you add them together and you get 2.6, divide this by 2 and you get 1.3, so you want your FT4 to be above 1.3 closer to about 1.5.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
    irishgirl1013

irishgirl1013 HB User
    Talking Re: New Hypo & have a question

Thank you SO much! I was a little confused because to me, my levels looked like they were somewhere in the ranges so I was wondering why I was diagnosed hypo. My Free T4, and T4 were all too low.
    Whew!
    irishgirl

Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Learn as much as you can about it because thats about the only way you will get the treatment you need and deserve. So many drs are really clueless when it comes to thyroid, its a good thing if your dr caught it when your T4 was low in the range.

Take care

Closed Thread