It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fine Needle Aspiration - Has anyone had this done?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2004, 04:49 PM   #16
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User
    Re: Fine Needle Aspiration - Has anyone had this done?

I'll throw my two cents in too I had a FNB a few years ago. The doctor performed it in his office, it took about two minutes, and I felt nothing at all. I got up and went home feeling the same as always.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #17
    bubblebug64

bubblebug64 HB User

Loves Teaching,
    Can understand your frustration in waiting for the call. I agree that it is horrible to call a patient with news like that... and then leave them hanging. I have a good one for you...(of which i can laugh now... sort of) After seeing the endo on a Tues and getting the results of the FNA, and being told that i would need surgery.... I got a call from him on Thurs. saying that i had missed my appointment and we needed to go over my biopsy results...Imagine my surprise. When i reminded him that i had been there Tues for the results...he said "what did i tell you?" Instills confidence don't it? Of course, I replied quite calmly for what i was feeling..."What the H*** were you supposed to tell me?" I then asked if he had a multiple personality that might have been there with me when i got my results, and if so... perhaps he should consult with him. In the end, he gave me the same results... and the rest is history. Get a laugh where you can... This is just my luck with Dr.s. And try not to freak out too much. But, if you need to... know that we are here to help.
    Hugs hugs hugs BB

Old 09-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #18
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

OK, 5 minutes after I posted my last message, my doc called! About time!

I'm scheduled for the FNA on Columbus Day (since I teach, I'm off work that day). I asked my doc if it's wise to wait that long. She said that sooner would probably be better for my anxiety, but that I could wait until Columbus Day if I so choose. She also said that she could squeeze me in on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm going to call the office on Tuesday and see if I can have this procedure the following day. My supervisor will let me leave work early, I'm sure.

Stacy, thanks for the names of your docs. If my doc says I need surgery, I think I'll make an appointment with Dr. McConnell for a second opinion. I just checked, and he's listed in a book I have of the top doctors in NYC. Glad to hear you're doing so well!

Softcrush -- Wow, that's awful. I'm so sorry you've experienced all of that. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a total-T?

Reni, thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear that your FNB went smoothly.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #19
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Bubblebug,

I tried to send you a hug earlier, but my computer crashed and I couldn't get back online until now. Here you go...

((((((Bubblebug))))))

Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 AM   #20
    west end girl
    Veteran

west end girl HB User

loves teaching ,

I had a FNA in March & needed surgery to remove half of my thyroid in May.
    I know it's not easy to say but please try not to worry to much , the FNA is over really fast and I personally did not find it as bad as i thought it was going to be ...
    It was all over so fast I didn't really get time to worry and was fine after , sat down with a cup of tea for 10mins and then was totally ok ( my nerves were a bigger problem than the FNA ) I had to have surgery a little while after and yes it was not nice but more uncomfortable than painfull , i found if I was really worried/crying I would just make all my sysptoms worse so my advice is hang on in there and it may just not be as bad as you think it is going to be

Sara xx

PS a total-T is having your whole Thyroid removed ( I only had half removed )

Last edited by west end girl; 09-04-2004 at 06:15 AM.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #21
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Sara, thanks so much. I have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who has had thyroid surgery)...

Did you have to have chemo/radiation afterwards? If so, how long did it last, and did you have to take a long leave of absence from work? Did you need a big increase in your Synthroid after surgery, and is this the only medication you needed/need to take for the removal of all or part of the thyroid?

Thanks in advance. I know these are all questions I should've asked my doctor, but they all occurred to me *after* I spoke to her.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #22
    bubblebug64

bubblebug64 HB User

Loves Teaching,
    I had a partial ********ctomy. The frozen section of the growth came back benign. So i did not have to have Chemo or anything like that. I was off work for 6 weeks, but didn't feel bad. All in all, it really wasn't that bad. The fear of not knowing.... and waiting seemed to be the worst part. My biggest problem post op was with my vocal chords....unfortunately, they were partially paralyzed during surgery, so my voice is different now (and is the first thing to go when i have a cold... but people who know me seem to enjoy that little benefit), and i still have trouble swallowing liquids...BUT THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL THING TO HAVE HAPPEN!!!!! So don't get too wiggy about that. I never do anything typical... so it is no wonder. The only medicine i have had to take is the Synthroid (which right now, doesn't seem to be doing me much good) But that again, is more about me... and how well my body absobs and stuff like that...than the surgery. I guess what i am saying is take it one step at a time. (In telling you... I am actually reminding myself...there is another growth in my throat... and we are starting the process on this end all over again. Yeah rah) Hang in there.... I have no doubt that you will do great.
    {{{{{{{{{Loves Teaching}}}}}}}}} BB (Diana)

Old 09-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #23
    west end girl
    Veteran

west end girl HB User

Hi , like BB I also had a growth and it was benign so i didn't need chemo/radiation ... I was off work for 2 weeks .. Op was done on a Monday , stitches out on the sat .. I was not on any medication before the op but am on Synthroid now and I have some good times and some really bad times ... I can not say I had much pain ( if any ) from the op only when I sneezed and I learnt how to hold myself so it didn't hurt to much ..

A little tip I have is to write a little diary of how i feel and show my doctor , also if i ever think of a question i need to ask I always write it down and show him my list of questions ( even if the question seem silly please just ask him )

Please hang on in there you may NOT need surgery ..

{{{ Hugs }}}

Sara xx

Old 09-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #24
    west end girl
    Veteran

west end girl HB User

Lovesteaching , you say you may have the FNA on Columbus Day ? I'm in the UK and have no idea when that is ?
    Would like to know when it is so I can spend some time and think of you

Sara xx

Old 09-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #25
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

BB and WEG, thanks again for your help and support. I'm glad to hear that neither of you needed chemo/radiation.

WEG, Columbus Day is on October 11, but I think I'm going to schedule the FNA sooner than that. Tomorrow is Labor Day here in the US, so my doc's office will be closed. I'll call on Tuesday to see if they can take me this week. How nice of you to keep me in your thoughts. I will let you know as soon as I reschedule my appointment. Thanks!

LT

Old 09-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #26
    njgirl23

njgirl23 HB User

I had my whole thyroid removed. I go back for a post op visit Tues. Since mine was malignant, they told me I should have a preventive (low dose/outpatient) radioactive iodine treatment. ***** is generally not treated with chemo. The radioactive iodine is supposed to kill whatever cells may have been left behind to prevent recurrance. They may not even be bad cells, just thyroid cells. I wasn't on any medication before, but now I am on Cytomel, because it gets out of your system quicker and they don't want you on medication for the RAI. After the treatment,they'll put me on Synthroid. I also had to take large doses of Oscal to make sure I didn't have calcium problems. They took 1 or 2 of my parathyroids because they were too close to the growths. I was told that you have 4 of them and only need one to function. The 2 on the other side are fine.

I had the surgery on a Weds, took off the entire next week and started a new job on the following Monday. I didn't have stitches, except for the one they took out before I left the hospital the same day. There was a plastic glue strip covering the incision and it came off in about 5-6 days. It is healing quickly and not very noticable. She did the incision in the natural crease of my neck (even though I don't have a deep one- I'm only 43).

They even told me some people go back to work the Monday following the surgery. I was very fatigued at first so I am glad I took the next week off.

I hope that helps...Stacy

Old 09-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #27
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by njgirl23

I hope that helps...Stacy
    That helps a lot, Stacy. Thanks very much.

Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #28
    puton10
    Inactive

puton10 HB User

Here's another story for you. When they attempted to do the FNA on me, they had a difficult time because they were expecting to suck out some liquid, but my nodule turned out to be solid. So they tried and tried, and boy did that hurt. Then they left me on the table with my neck stretched all the way back, while they looked at the results on a microscope. It wasn't a good sample. so they went in again. I hated it. It turned out to be suspicious, so I had half my thyroid removed. It was papillary carcinoma. A year later I developed nodules on the other half, and just in JUne had that half removed. I did not want to go through the FNA again, so I was glad to just be rid of my thyroid. (By the way, I didn't have any lasting pain from the FNA at all, just a tiny bit sore, that lasted only a few hours I think.) But after the first surgery, I had the worst sore throat of my life!! I was in pain for 2 days, really bad. Then it subsided. The second operation, I was expecting the really bad sore throat, but I never got it!! I was fine! And therest of my thryoid was benign, so I never had to have radiation. The scar is barely noticeable, as the surgeon did it in the crease of my neck. I don't work out of the home, (I work IN the home raising 4 children ages 5, 3, 2 and 6 months and a husband age 34 .)So I never had to take time off from work, but of course with 4 children, I barely had time to rest. But I was fine. The surgery isn't that bad. Try not to worry. Sometimes the worrying is the worst part!! Good luck.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:49 PM   #29
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Everyone has been so nice, and I just wanted you all to know that I'm having the FNA tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how long it will take to get the results, but I'll report back when I do.

Please think **benign.**

Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #30
    west end girl
    Veteran

west end girl HB User

Thanks for the update ...... I will think ****benign****** ALL day tomorrow promise !!!!!!!! hang on in there and think strong and the FNA will be over really fast !!!!!!

{{{{ hugs for now and tomorrow }}}}

Sara xx

Closed Thread