It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fine Needle Aspiration - Has anyone had this done?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #31
    bubblebug64

bubblebug64 HB User
    Re: Fine Needle Aspiration - Has anyone had this done?

LT,
    You are in my thoughts!!!! Here's to benign benign benign!!! I know all will be okay, and you will do just fine (hey that kinda rhymes..teehee..) Let us know! {{{{{hugs Loves teaching}}}}} BB (Diana)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #32
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Hey there, let us now how it turns out! I am praying benign and hoping that you will find the prcocedure itself painless. I know that you will be stressed, that is normal but I hope it is quick and easy for you.

Karen

Old 09-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #33
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts, prayers, and hugs. I had the FNA this afternoon. It was rather uncomfortable, but the doc said I did great (I stayed very still despite my anxiety problems -- of course, I took my Ativan before the procedure ). My neck is just a little sore with a small bruise -- not bad at all. I will have the results a week from Monday. The waiting won't be fun, but I'm trying hard to stay optimistic.

BTW, the doc went in 4 times with the needle and said there is a slight possibility that there won't be enough of a sample for the biopsy. I said that I am NOT doing this again, so there had BETTER be enough of a sample. She also told me a funny story (once the procedure was over) about a patient of hers who once SLAPPED her during the FNA. LOL

Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #34
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

I am so glad it is over for you!!!! I was told the same thing about there not being enough sample, but it was fine. They also went in 4 times on mine and they were very supportive in letting me know that these are very common and are usually nothing to worry about............

I was also told a funny story ...............the tech was looking at her own thyroid with the scanner and found a lump on her own thyroid!

Karen........keep us posted on your results

Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #35
    Sandy373
    (female)

Sandy373 HB User

I'm so glad your FNA went well. I go for mine tomorrow morning. I've been following up with your thread everyday. It has really helped me not be so scared. Although, it seems since I've been going through all of this I haven't had any control over my nerves. Does the doctor give you something to help calm you down before the procedure? I've been trying all week to get somebody to get me something and the only doctor that called me back told me they could refer me to another doctor for an appiontment. I haven't enough time for that and I've been to doctors almost everyday for weeks now. What do you have to do to get doctors to listen to you?

Old 09-08-2004, 10:35 PM   #36
    bubblebug64

bubblebug64 HB User

LT,
    Couldn't wait to get home from work to see how things went. I knew you would do just great!!! And I'm sure everything will go well in the future too!!!! Keep us posted...{{{{{Hugs}}}}} BB

Sandy,
    Good luck to you as well... again, things will be just fine. {{{{{hugs}}}}} You are in my thoughts too!!!! Bubblebug (Diana)

Old 09-09-2004, 05:41 AM   #37
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Thanks, Karen, Sandy, and Diana!

Although the soreness in my neck isn't too bad, I did have stomach issues all night and morning (from the stress, I think). I am staying home from work and resting today.

Sandy, I take Ativan regularly for anxiety, so I just took an extra one before the procedure. The endo didn't give me any meds (just the lidocane shot to numb the skin). Have you called your endo and explained your situation? It seems to me that he/she could give you a prescription for just a few antianxiety pills (for the night before and day of your procedure). I would call and be insistant. Tell him/her that you don't think you can do the procedure without the meds. That should get you somewhere, hopefully. Good luck to you!

Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #38
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Sandy.
    Please let us know how you made out this morning. I am sure your nerves are raw, mine were too. I take Xanax regularly for anxiety so like Loves I just doubled up on that to get me through. I will be thinking of you this morning and please post when you can.........

Loves,
    How is your neck feeling this morning?? I am so glad this is behind you. I am sorry you have to wait so long. That is almost an eternity! I was taking double doses of my meds til the dr called me back with the results. I thought the agony would never go away. Since I have full blown panic disorder, I can't handle anything like very well. Are you dealing with panic/anxiety or anxiety? Post when you can......

Karen

Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #39
    Sandy373
    (female)

Sandy373 HB User

Thanks for your concern. Things went well with the FNA. I thought I was going in for just one, but the one they planned on doing had gone away. The doctor ended up doing four on my left side. I was amazed at how much fluid they got from just one. The procedure went fairly smooth. (Although I had a little panic attack. My hands started tingling and I got really sleepy.) Other than that, I hardly felt anything, although he really dug around in there. The last one was the only one I felt. I think he must of struck a nerve or something because my shoulder has been getting sharp pains since then. I didn't bruise much and only feel a little sore in my neck. It's much better today. I should hear back in about a week to 2 weeks. I was able to get the doctor to get me xanax. I explained how I've been so anxious about everything. I even got symptoms at an eye appointment that I had no reason to get anxious about. I'm afraid to go anywhere alone and scared to do running around with the kids because I never know when it's going to happen. I've been through alot in my life and never had problems like this. I don't care what the doctors say, I think panic attacks are a symptom of thyroid problems. Sorry I haven't posted sooner. It seems like all I do is sleep now. I haven't kept up with anybody or anything lately. Barely able to keep up with doc appts. Hope everybody is doing well and I'll keep you in my hearts while you wait for your results too.
    Sandy

Old 09-11-2004, 01:32 PM   #40
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angel47630
    Loves,
    How is your neck feeling this morning?? I am so glad this is behind you. I am sorry you have to wait so long. That is almost an eternity! I was taking double doses of my meds til the dr called me back with the results. I thought the agony would never go away. Since I have full blown panic disorder, I can't handle anything like very well. Are you dealing with panic/anxiety or anxiety? Post when you can......

Karen
    Karen,

My neck is better, thanks, but I had a very odd reaction after my FNA. I developed a fever of 102 and stomach virus symptoms. I was unable to reach my endo, but my internist thinks it was a coincidental stomach virus. I'm not convinced, though. The thyroid controls so many bodily functions. Couldn't trauma to the thyroid have caused these symptoms? Anyway, I'm doing better today.

I have generalized anxiety with occasional panic attacks, but the Ativan and Celexa (for my depression/anxiety) seem to be keeping me fairly calm.

Thanks for asking about me, hon.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:37 PM   #41
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Sandy,

Glad you were able to get the Xanax and that you made it though your FNA. I'll be thinking about you while waiting for my own results. Best wishes to you.

Closed Thread