HealthBoards (
-   Thyroid Disorders (
-   -   Need help (

txnmom 09-17-2004 10:45 AM

Need help
I have been having lots of blood work done at my Rhuem doctor who also last week did additional testing on my thyroid. He tested my TSH, T-4 free. He told me he would send the results on my ANA and thyroid. When I received them if there was anything abnormal to call for a detailed explaination. Well I can not get a reply from him as of late yesterday.

I was told my Thyroid was acceptable at level but concern that I had a low level antibody. What does low level antibody mean??
In my ANA profile results I had a positive RNP.


Gopherhead 09-17-2004 12:41 PM

Re: Need help
[QUOTE=txnmom]I was told my Thyroid was acceptable at level but concern that I had a low level antibody. What does low level antibody mean??
In my ANA profile results I had a positive RNP.[/QUOTE] Did you get your actual numbers, txnmom, and the ranges? You'll find that a lot of us here who are being treated for thyroid disease were also told initally that our numbers were within the 'normal' range. It's very decieving.

Having my FT4 in lower 3rd of the range and my TSH at 4.3 was all my doctor needed, along with my symptoms, to diagnose me. I was lucky, however.

Most women feel best when their TSH is around 1 and their Free Ts are in the upper thrid of the range. The fact that you tested positive for anitbodies is an indication you're dealing with an autoimmune type of thyroid disease. As these tests were done by a rheumatologist I would suggest taking them to a specialist.

The ANA (Antinuclear Antibody) is a test done to check for Lupus primairly, but it is given to RA patients as well. Specific patterns tend to indicate certain diseases or syndromes. Having a positive RNP (ribonucleoprotein) with [B]no other ANA [/B] antibodies is a sign of a Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and not RA.

If you'd like some input and/or advice you can post your numbers - there are some really knowledgeable people here :)


txnmom 09-17-2004 02:06 PM

Results Re: Need help
Thank you Nat! I am so very tired of not knowing whats going on! Doctors can be such pains.

The nurse called and said that the doctor has said that I need to come in 3 months to be retested (ugghhh) and that if I start feeling worse to come right in.

My results that the nurse read:
TSH 3.30 (.4 - 5.50)
Thyroid antibodies: 4 (needs to be less than 2)

what do these mean? should i see a specialist?

The reason im seeing a Rhuem doc. was for joint pain, fatigue-- to much to mention.


Gopherhead 09-17-2004 03:24 PM

Re: Need help
Txnmom, your TSH is high (the new limit set by the American Association of Clinical Endos is .3-2.5). As for the antibodies, the fact that you have them at all is a sign of the autoimmune type of thyroid disease. Checkout the AACE website for their January 2003 and 2004 press releases on this subject - print them out and take them to your doctor.

I would recommend a specialist - but before you actually 'hire' one do a little interviewing when you call them up. Ask the receptionist / nurse if they diagnose with TSH only or if they check Free T levels and take symptoms into account. Ask if they prescribe Armour (natural thyroid replacement) to patients. If they say No or if they only use TSH to diagnose don't waste your time with them. You might have better luck with a naturopath or an osteopath - these doctors tend to know more about the thyroid and to take symptoms into account.

If you look through the Information Archive (sticky in this forum) you'll find advice on how to interview the doctor's office and what the symptoms are - achey joints and muscles are a symtom, btw, and ANA tests can be positive in cases of hypoT.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM.