It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What if TSH is high, but Free's are in the normal range?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User
    What if TSH is high, but Free's are in the normal range?

My TSH is 5.2 with a normal range of .5 to 2.0
    My Free T3 is 3.0 with a normal range of 2.0 to 4.9
    My Free T4 is 1.5 with a normal range of .8 to 1.8

So my TSH is high, but my Free T3 and Free T4 look pretty good, especially my Free T4.

When people say that the Free's should be in the upper third of the normal range, do you divide the normal range into three parts? I wonder why my Free T4 is higher up in the range, but my TSH is high also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: What if TSH is high, but Free's are in the normal range?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Concerned Male
    My TSH is 5.2 with a normal range of .5 to 2.0
    My Free T3 is 3.0 with a normal range of 2.0 to 4.9
    My Free T4 is 1.5 with a normal range of .8 to 1.8

So my TSH is high, but my Free T3 and Free T4 look pretty good, especially my Free T4.

When people say that the Free's should be in the upper third of the normal range, do you divide the normal range into three parts? I wonder why my Free T4 is higher up in the range, but my TSH is high also?
    If TSH is high and the other labs are "normal" it means that yoru thyroid gland is having to work relaly hard to maintain levels to keep you well.

"Normal" isn't always optimal, or good, though. Your Free T4 is right where many people feel their best, but your Free T3 is lower than it should be for most people to have optimal health.

In another post you said you were taking a generic of Armour, so the extra T3 in it should be helping with your Free T3 labs. However, you might look into supplementing with Selenium IF you are low on Selenium, your liver can't convert T4 to T3 as it needs it, so that is probably the reason your T3 is lowish, unless you have known liver problems. (80% of the T3 in your blood comes from the liver where an enzyme breaks it down to T3 for the rest of your body to use)

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks Meep,
    How would I know if my body is low in Selenium? If my body is low in Selenium, than the thyroid medication won't help?

Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Concerned Male
    Thanks Meep,
    How would I know if my body is low in Selenium? If my body is low in Selenium, than the thyroid medication won't help?
    I am sure there is a test for it, but since Selenium is available inexpensively over the counter, you can try supplementing with it. The thyroid meds will still help, but your body will do a better job of taking care of itself. Selenium is a great antioxidant.. Just be sure not to exceed 200mcg a day.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-06-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks Meep. I don't think my Multi-Vitamin has any Selenium in it from looking at the ingredients. I've been wanting to get a better Multi-Vitamin and saw one at the store that has 200 mcg in it per day. Is there much Selenium in certain foods? Cause if I get that Multi-Vitamin that has 200 mcg, I wouldn't want to eat foods that have much Selenium in them. What could happen if I consumed too much Selenium?

Old 10-07-2004, 05:15 AM   #6
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

If you haven't been getting any selenium as a supplement you could do the 200mcg for a while (a month or so) but then I would scale it back to 100mcg or so. Good sources of selenium in your diet, include: wheat germ, tuna, herring and other seafood and shellfish, beef liver and kidney, eggs, sunflower and sesame seeds, cashews, mushrooms, garlic, onions, and kelp. The thing with selenium is that levels are not constant in foods in all areas - in some areas there is more in some there is less. Getting too much can lead to toxicity (nausea, vomiting, depression, irritability, nervousness, skin rashes and loss of hair and fingernails). I typically use the 200mcg pill and split it in half - it is very cheap and this way it lasts even longer

Old 10-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks Gopherhead,
    I didn't see a Selenium supplement in drug stores nearby here. Maybe I'll have to check out a vitamin store or just get the Selenium through a Multi-Vitamin.

Would you suggest any other supplements that can help out with energy? And also ones that can detoxify the body? I'm worried that my body may have an excess amount of a dangerous chemical/s.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

As far as thyroid goes the biggies are Selenium, Zinc (10 mg per day) and Vits D and E (400-800IU)

Zinc is needed both before and after these production and conversion of T4 / T3 processes. It is needed at the intracellular level to help the thyroid nuclear receptors attach and drive the reading of the DNA genetic code. Keep in mind that the main function of thyroid hormone is to help put the genetic code into action.

Vitamin D is necessary for thyroid hormone production in the pituitary gland, and possibly in the early stages of T-3 (thyronine) binding to its receptor. Vitamin E is part of the necessary supporting apparatus that enables the deiodinase enzyme to convert T-4 into T-3.

I can't help you with detoxifying, sorry, it's not something I do or know much about - you might try the 'alternative medicine' board though.

Nat

Closed Thread