It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Losing Weight and Getting Cured without Meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User
    Losing Weight and Getting Cured without Meds?

OK guys...here's the deal....Im STILL not fixed yet but finally got a proper diagnosis of having Hashi's after all this time when every doc basically told me Iwas either bipolar or just Hypo with anxiety attacks.

The very curious thing is that I still go in and out of bouts of Hyper and Hypo feeling but my TSH and other scores are almost normal now in comparison to what they were.

If anyone recalls, back in July and August, I was registering TSH's of 15.5 and 16.8 consistently over the last 3 months before that.

I have since been dieting and lost about 40 pounds. This month I had multiple TSH tests done at different labs and I was a 5.6 - not too far off from normal in comparison!

What the hell is going on? Am I getting cured now that I lost some weight and now my body is able to produce enough juice?

In 3 months I went from consistent high 16's for my TSH to 5's!???? I figure if that's the case, I drop another 20 or 30 pounds and I will be almost completely normal however I don't think it will work out quite like that.

I have never taken meds in my life yet but still go through bouts of Hyper and Hypo but now the "normal" stages in between seem to last a little longer thankfully and when I toggle back to HypO, it does not feel as crappy as it used to. - Could also be a summer connection. I have noticed in the past most of the crappier feeling happen to me in summer for whatever reason.

Can the weight I lost actually fix my thyroid problem as my Thyroid no longer has to produce that much TSH to support my new lower weight?

Ultimately, I still think I will have to have my Thyroid zapped because I still have antibodies and my numbers are still high regardless and Im still going through that cycling between Hyper and Hypo but I do feel better at least having a formal diagnosis.

I would like to hear form others if anything like this has happened to them and also what people advise me doing. I can't really take meds because the slightest bit of Synthroid pushes me instantly into Hyper mode so now my current doc does not have me on anything for the time being, but that is likely to change pending more blood tests.

Does anyone know if there is a connection between a person's weight and Hashi's remission?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
    Diane25dc

Diane25dc HB User
    Re: Losing Weight and Getting Cured without Meds?

I don't know about a connection with losing weight and it's effect on the thyroid, but I might guess that perhaps you changed your diet and it now contains certain nutrients that were lacking before. This may account for your possitive results. I truly believe that many diseases are caused by lack of nutrients and/or too much of the numerous toxins we continuosly consume, breath, etc., and when the body has what it needs, it has an incredible power to heal itself. I'm still trying to find my right combination after 2 1/2 yrs of hyper. After reading numerous messages here, my next step is a naturopath. Since you seem to be on the right path to something, it may be an avenue for you to explore. Good luck to you. I have never taken the Dr. meds and have been able to control my condition to some degree naturally, but am still looking for more perminant and consistant results.
    Diane

Last edited by Diane25dc; 10-08-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
    puton10
    Inactive

puton10 HB User

Hypodude,
    How did you lose the weight? I am struggling and can't seem to lose a pound. I have NO thyroid, and since having it removed I have gained no matter what I do. I am taking 90 mg of Armour. What is your diet?

Old 10-09-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

I can outline a plan, but don't know if it will help others. First thing I did was go on ebay and bought myself a good Detecto doctors scale. Next, I outlined a long term plan on a calendar that is hanging in my kitchen right next to the scale. I planned on losing a safe 1.38 pounds per week - keep in mind I started this diet in June at 325 pounds and now weigh in around 284, so its not that difficult losing that little amount of weight when your that big.

I took my starting weight, 325 and subtracted 1.38 pounds per week every Friday on my calendar hanging on the wall. Each morning I weigh myself and write down my weight on the calendar. I know where I need to be each week because my goal weights are written right on the calendar so if Im a little heavy, I need to diet harder that week to meet the goal. If Im under my goal for the week I can splurge a little.

Also, I don't know how great this is cause I feel like crap almost every day, but Im really limiting my calories to probably the 900 - 1300 range per day, which is a tiny amount of food for a 285 pound man.

After the first week, once some of the sugar cravings started to go away, I started dropping weight quickly. Bouts of HypER mixed in with the Hypo help me lose it quick too. Being mostly Hypo, you're really fighting an uphill battle because our metabolisms are so slow. I totally limit my carbs to like 2 Nutri Grain bars per day and then eat mainly meats and egg whites for proteins. I eat a fair amount of veggies as well, but not enough Im sure.

I find my calendar method is the first plan I ever tried that worked. Its like if its written on the calendar, I just have to meet that weekly weight goal...no questions asked. I think its more mental than anything but so far for 3 or 4 months now, its been working well for me. I just wish I felt better more often. I seem to go through more hyper periods now with tremor than I ever have in the past. Im sure the Hyper had a lot to do with it.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Diane, I found a totally great hollistic doc finally that will work with you via phone consultation. This guy checks everything and is the first doc to actually diagnose me with hashis and work with me with regard to my symptoms, not just my labs. He's also very good with lab work....checks everything from head to toe....sort of like a rebirth of your health approach.

I just started with him last week after 2 years of bouncing from Endo to endo with no luck and no diagnosis. Im hopeful hes the guy that will help.

He's a little off the beaten path...he does not accept insurance. He doesnt believe in the system but his visit was $325 for a solid hour and 20 minutes on the phne and he was able to do more on the phone with me than any doc ever did so far.

[ removed ]

[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 10-09-2004 at 11:42 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails - do not post commercial websites

Old 10-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #6
    Diane25dc

Diane25dc HB User

Dear Hypo,
    I empathize with all the symptoms you feel. You must feel like a yo-yo at times I am very interested in the hollistic Dr. you mention. I've been seeing a chiropractor who has just started helping me homeopathically. This is a good start, but like anything I like several opinions/approaches so I can make an educated decision. My chiro has determined I'm definitely hyper with adrenal issues. This is no surprise as they go hand in hand. I'm tired and frustrated and willing to exhuast all options before I concede to the "conventional medicine" of the endo's. [ removed ] I surely hope this Dr. and approach helps you as well. Thyroid issues seem to be very hard to handle, but I keep trying as you (and so many others) also do I am sure. I will certainly check about.com as well for additional info. Thanks. Hey, wouldn't it be great if in our quest we found some real valid help that we could share! God, I wish for that so much. To get help and be able to help others! Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Diane

Last edited by moderator2; 10-09-2004 at 11:44 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Closed Thread