It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• should hypo people use iodized salt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
    suem
    (female)

suem HB User
    should hypo people use iodized salt?

Heard years ago that people need to use Iodized salt to prevent
    thyroid problems and also have heard not to use it. So wondering
    what is right? suem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: should hypo people use iodized salt?

Boy I wish I knew the answer to your question. Will have to research that.
    That is a good question.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

When I was diagnosed, the Endo I saw at the time said stay away from it.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:54 AM   #4
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

For taste value alone I used Kosher salt for all additive salt, and for baking etc. The foods and veg that we consume as a normal daily diet, all contain some form of iodized salt dont they?

So it stands to reason not to add more. I find also that I prefer the taste of Kosher to that of Iodized. But it is something we all should investigate (ok, who wants to take up that cause?) I am not a good researcher, hence me asking for a volunteer, (but for explaining to me, I hope it is told to us in what I call 'bonnie talk' I cannot digest formal accounts.... brain fog? old age? battiness? dunno.

I am just plain Hypo (no name after it) so I have no clue, I just prefer the taste (or lack thereof) of Kosher salt. I have a nodule in my thyroid, and a deviated trachea from the swelling, and I dont even know if this is still happening to me, as I have not had the time to get back for the follow up ultra sound. (those that know me know why I am lax in this department)

So I do hope one of you genius sweeties who have the ability to sift out all unwanted data are able to answer this question that has been posted here.

Bonnie Lea

Old 10-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm sure Midwest would have a wonderful explanation for this, but since she is out for a few days we can't pick her brain till she's back.

This is what I know of iodine. I know that it is wise to stay away from iodine containing products like kelp (which is high in iodine) because they can actually make the thyroid condition worse, especially if you have Hashi's.
    I would assume that iodized salt would also do the same but I really don't know how much iodine you'd have to consume to actually make things worse and hoprfully none of us are eating the salt right out of the container, ha. It may be like milk, some say don't consume milk in your cereal in the morning after taking thyroid meds because of the calcium, my dr says don't fret about it, the milk in cereal isn't enough to really matter (and she has a thyroid problem herself, so she's not speaking off the cuff), now a full glass of milk is another story.
    I guess it comes down to how it affects each person, some can consume things and have no affect, the next person may have very diverse affects.
    Table salt in general is very processed and I have read that kosher salt or sea salt is better.

Last edited by dea4; 10-14-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

well, that sounds quite feasible to me. Since I have stopped using iodized table salt (oh that poor little girl on the package) haha but up here it is Windsor salt (nothing like one of your salt manufacturers) I prefer using the Kosher style, (find I use less as it is more like flakey crystals) have used sea salt, but rather not go through the 'grinding process' went through two salt grinders haha so found Kosher salt quite nice, and no chemically taste.

My pharmacists tells me not to use OTC vit and stuff, which contain iodine, and I have never asked my family doctor. I did have one friend who got mad (she was a saltaholic) and said "Bonnie, if you stop using iodized salt (she always managed to get here around dinner time) you will get a goiter)" well as a matter of fact I did (develop a goitre) and thought horrors (but later found out tis a term for enlarged thyroid) It was not the cause of my hypothyroidism stuff. hahah if only she were in my life, I bet it would be a HUGE I TOLD YOU SO

But as I say I use Kosher salt all the time, and I don't worry about it. I never have enjoyed Kelp, or seaweed products, so I do tend to read labels all the time though (for soy and stuff like that)

When Midwest gets back on board here, we could perhaps ask again!

Last edited by BonBe; 10-14-2004 at 09:10 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

This message has been left blank.

Last edited by Gopherhead; 10-14-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

I am not very computer/board saavy and am trying (unsucessfully I might add) to find post 1112164 but will keep trying.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Try copying the link and pasting it in your address bar and hit go. worked for me, hope it works for you.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

could not do that so I typed in 'search this board' the words iodized salt, and got great ideas. I am going totally (as I have been doing the past 8 years) of not using iodized salt as part of meal preparations. It is in lots of foods (veg etc) that we buy not even counting the 'processed foods' half the people think no other half say ok (most of the no people are hyper) but for taste and the fact I aint dead yet (haha) I will avoid it when possible.

I did concern myself, hence reason why I wanted it spoke in simple terms as my brain does not work well on research as you guys all know. So found Tree Frog mentioning it, and decided to say no iodized salt. Sometimes it is ok sometimes it is not...quite a conumdrum in my brain for sure!

Bonnie P.S. what does FWIW mean?

Last edited by BonBe; 10-14-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #11
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FWIW for what its worth is my guess

Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User

This message has been left blank.

Last edited by Gopherhead; 10-14-2004 at 10:50 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #13
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

well, I am glad I take the time to speak instead of lettering it! (my grumble) so after reading posts all about salt stuff, I made my choice and I am glad I am doing it. One of the things also that was mentioned to me with my recent cancer business was iodine. But had the CT scan and was injected with the dye, and had to tell them I was hypo, and thankgoodness I was not allergic..... or no reactions to the contrast. (I had read someting about it being iodine, but I think not) they just said a dye.... and asked about me being hypo, but no PROBLEM.

Sometimes our questions to this board only get answered with what I call two speak - take it one way or tother and I am of a mind that needs a specific answer (again my grumble)

But dea thanks for being there! and I hope the originator of this post got her answer.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonBe
    But dea thanks for being there! and I hope the originator of this post got her answer.
    anytime, and I hope so too.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #15
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

haha I guess the writer in me dislikes short forms rather read the written word (even if my spelling sometimes craps out) I do know the LOL or a friend always says LMAO which I find halarious if I take it at what it actually says..... wondered at the body contortions that wold need! hhaha

Bonnie Lea

Closed Thread