It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• what was it like switching from synthetic t4 only to armour?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2004, 06:19 AM   #1
    curlyroller

curlyroller HB User
    what was it like switching from synthetic t4 only to armour?

at my request, my endo just switched my scrip to armour. i was on 50mcg of synthroid and my armour dose is 1/2 grain (30mg). i've been on the synthroid for 2.5 months and it's done nothing for my symptoms, and my ft3 has actually dropped 11%! i just took my first dose of armour this morning.

for anyone that's switched, i was wondering what your experience with the switch has been. i want the good the bad and the ugly. what was your synthetic dose compared to your armour dose? did you see improvement? how quickly? i'm sure there is more that i can't think of (stupid brain fog!). i want to hear it all!

thanks in advance.

rachel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 AM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: what was it like switching from synthetic t4 only to armour?

I take Nature Throid and Unithroid, Nature throid is the same as Armour only different fillers, Unithroid is T4 only. When I added the Nature Throid I noticed pretty quickly that my symptoms got a lot better, more energy, less brain fog, etc. Not sure exactally how fast but it was within a few weeks that I felt the improvement.

You may need a higher dose of Armour though, 1/2 grain is roughly equivilent to 37 to 54mcg of T4, it just depends on how your body uses it and since your levels were low I would think you would need more like 3/4 grain, but start with the 1/2 grain and see what happens.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
    curlyroller

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dea4
    You may need a higher dose of Armour though, 1/2 grain is roughly equivilent to 37 to 54mcg of T4, it just depends on how your body uses it and since your levels were low I would think you would need more like 3/4 grain, but start with the 1/2 grain and see what happens.
    yeah, i am positive that i'll need more, because the 50mcg of synthroid wasn't doing a thing for me. but, the endo wants to start low, and i can understand that. she wants to see me again in a month, so i'll discuss an increase with her then.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:35 AM   #4
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

I switched from synthroid to armour. How was it? The end result was WONDERFUL. Getting there was horrible. I went from .5mg synthroid to 60mg armour. I got symptoms I never had, I was hypo and hyper at the same time. It took many weeks for me to slooowly start feeling better. Some people on this board told me that sometimes you get worse before you get better. It was true for me. I have lost almost 30 lbs, I have energy, the depression, hair fall went away. I now run 3 miles and lift weights for 30 min. I have recently increase my dose to 90mgs armour.

Mintchoc

Old 10-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

Mint - how long did it take to get stable?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
    dlkk
    Veteran
    (female)

dlkk HB User

I had been on 75mcg of Levoxyl for 3yrs never feeling right. Finally I got my doctor to give me Armour starting at 30mg about 3 months ago. 30mg wasn't enough for me-I was dragging and tired all the time. Asked the doctor for an increase and he agreed to 60mg. However I didn't just jump to that dose right away. I added 7.5mg slowly to get to 60mg. I have now been on the 60mgs for 12 days and am having some trouble with it. Like mintchocolate said in order to get to feeling better your body has to adjust. Sometimes I want to give up and forget it but I am going to stick it out and get tested in about 6wks to see how I am doing. I do know that I feel better on Armour then I had ever felt on Levoxyl. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #7
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

curly, did you consider cytomel with the synthroid?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
    curlyroller

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lillypad
    curly, did you consider cytomel with the synthroid?
    the PA said that was a possibility, but i wanted off of synthroid for a number of reasons:

1. the expense. i couldn't see paying that much more for synthroid just because it's synthroid. please.

2. concerns about potency. i'm uncomfortable with the number of times batches of synthroid and levoxyl have been recalled due to potency concerns.

so, i figured if i wanted to change meds anyway, i might as well try armour, since so many more people do better on it. if i don't, i'd like to try unithroid, possibly with cytomel, if needed.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

How many mg of Armour Thyroid would be considered a high dose? I'm on 120 mg right now and I haven't felt any better yet.

dea4,
    I was wondering why you take Nature Throid and also Unithroid?? Is that cause there wouldn't be enough T4 in the Nature Throid alone?

Old 10-16-2004, 04:02 AM   #10
    curlyroller

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Concerned Male
    How many mg of Armour Thyroid would be considered a high dose? I'm on 120 mg right now and I haven't felt any better yet.
    how long have you been on that dose? i know there are lots and lots of people that dont feel good on 2 grains (120mg) and need to get up closer to 3 or over that to feel good.

rachel.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

Curly roller:

You want ugly?

I've had a really ugly time of it. I was on 100% T4...then 100% Armour. Between the two of them, I just wanted to crawl inside a hole and die. When I stopped taking the meds all together, I felt better, but of course without a T-Gland, I would soon be dead so, it was back to the meds.

I'm now investigating the idea of mixing Armour + T4. I do believe I had such bad reax to both pills because the dose was too hight and becasue neither one was likely adequate to cover all the body's needs. This is just my latest theory.

Right now, I'm just on 100 mcg of WHITE (dye free) Synthroid. I'm using that to establish a baseline and see how the body adjusts. THE real hell of massive body aches, delerium, and blindness seems to be a thing of the past. If only I could just erase the last 7 months of torture from my memory...

Even when I tried a 1/4 grain Armour the other day, my body went into near convulsions. I believe, my T4 hasn't created enough cushion yet to absorb the potent T3 in the Armour. So it will be awhile longer, before I can add it in. If I do...I expect to take a time-released version of porcine extract from the compounder, to lessen the assault on my little body.

I am 100 pounds. The doctors must be used to dealing with much bigger folks, and thats why they overdosed me so badly and continue to insist on shovelling big doses on me. They think because I'm small, they'll fatten me up with pills or something.

When it comes to this medicatioon...MORE is not necessarily better.

I'll keep you posted.

Good luck.

~S

Old 10-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
    Concerned Male
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Concerned Male HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curlyroller
    how long have you been on that dose? i know there are lots and lots of people that dont feel good on 2 grains (120mg) and need to get up closer to 3 or over that to feel good.

rachel.
    I started taking Thyroid medication on September 9. I was prescribed Armour Thyroid, but the pharmacy gave me the generic version. I didn't find out it was generic until some weeks later. So On October 7, I started taking the brand name version of Armour Thyroid. October 9 is when I started on 120 mg a day. My next doctor's appt. is a little over a week from now and I'm afraid that he's going to want to taper me off of the Thyroid medication. If he says that, I'm going to tell him that it hasn't been long enough to conclude that the thyroid medication isn't going to work.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #13
    curlyroller

curlyroller HB User

Quote:
    If he says that, I'm going to tell him that it hasn't been long enough to conclude that the thyroid medication isn't going to work.
    i think that's a good plan. you should give that dose at least a month, if not two to see if it's going to benefit you. if you still feel hypo, it might not be that it's not going to help you, you might just need more. i assume you had bloodwork done prior to starting on the medication? me personally, i would give it at least 6-8 weeks, get more bloodwork done then, and look at it to see if your levels are being impacted. if not, i'd try more medication, and not give up.

good luck!

Old 10-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    dea4,
    I was wondering why you take Nature Throid and also Unithroid?? Is that cause there wouldn't be enough T4 in the Nature Throid alone?
    Yep, I need the added T4. I'm very sensitive to T3, I can only take a small amount, but the T3 I do take via the Nature throid, has helped tremendously in how I feel.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #15
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:

Your on what is about equivilent to 148 to 200 mcg of T4, your body uses the natural a bit different thats why the range. 200mcg I believe is about an average, some need more and some less, but generally I think a large percentage on full replacement are around 150 to 200mcg.
    You may need more, it has a lot to do with how your body is using and absorbing it. My dr has also said that some people require more of the natural, she has some patients on 3 to 6 grains, your on 2 grains.

Last edited by dea4; 10-17-2004 at 01:12 PM.

Closed Thread