It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone else experienced very dry patches of skin at their waist?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User
    Has anyone else experienced very dry patches of skin at their waist?

I've had this now for MONTHS, and I've never had it before? I'm positive it's related to my thyroid, but I'm NOT quite sure what it may mean...too much medication or too little? So, much of these symptoms you just "live" with if you have a Dr. that isn't paying that close attention....but, now that I'm really "thinking" about it all....I'd like to be as informed as possible.

So, has anyone else experienced this?

Also, when you go through periods of losing hair noticably...what does THAT mean too....your not getting enough or too much?

I know BOTH of these symptoms are related to the thyroid...but unsure in which direction?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
    suem
    (female)

suem HB User
    Re: Has anyone else experienced very dry patches of skin at their waist?

Yes I have also noticed the dry areas on my waistline.
    and some itching. I changed to dye free fragrance free
    detergents and softeners. The hair really bugs me but
    hoping that stops soon. I also started with hot flashes
    more and stinging with my hands and feet. Some type
    of hyper symptoms and I am hypo. That is if the labs were
    right. Im begining to wonder and I am also wondering if
    the prep of T4 has changed in the companies. I never
    experienced all this years before 2002 and have been on thyroid med
    for a long time. When you feel all this it makes you start to question
    other things. Do you do ever feel that way?
    Take CARE SUEM

Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
    suem
    (female)

suem HB User

LynnHan,
    Sorry I got carried away. My opinion is the hair loss and dry skin are
    symptoms of hypo. Sounds like time for more levels with your doc,to
    see if your on the right dossage. suem

Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
    PMH

PMH HB User

I am hyper and i have been noticing latley a dry and itchy spot on my waistline.. i have been scratching it so much now it;s all red. There are too many symptoms to keep up with!

Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The hair loss comes from fluctuation of levels... not so much particularly high or low. For example, you go from optimal levels, to slightly low or high, back in the other direction, then have a dose change ... up, down, up, down. The bouncing levels cause changes in the rate of the hair's growth and resting phases. The hair shafts also become more brittle, causing breakage that seems like shedding, but is actually somewhat different.
    Once you get on a steady supply of the amount of hormone right for you, the hair loss will stop. Hope that was clear.

Last edited by midwest1; 10-21-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Thank you Midwest! Yes, that makes sense. I suppose there's really nothing that can be done about it then? Just suffer through it. What does it mean if you aren't having a change in dosage AND it's still happening? ~ meaning the "hair" loss problem?

Secondly Midwest ~ these "dry" patches, do you have any specific advise on that? It's so ODD of a dry patch....it's extremely noticibly DRY and flaky, and course. (not to be to gross or anything) It's just it's on BOTH sides and unlike I've EVER seen before...and this has happened for a few months now. I thought it was just caused by my waist band, because it falls EXACTLY there. Also my eyebrows are "flaky" too. I even mentioned this to my own Dr last week...and got NO real response. I thought it was poriasis or something? ~ but it got "brushed" aside. VERY ANNOYING!

Thank you Suem....YES! oh yes I "feel that way"...but I'm sort of feel I'm a "babe in the woods" so I'm just now piecing all of the pieces of this puzzle together! I'm learning so much daily...and YES, it ALL makes me WONDER....wonder IF the Dr's even have a clue actually. Sorta has made me feel "stunned" at the THOUGHT of how little it seems that MOST Dr.'s know and/or listen. I'm trying to get ahold of myself so I can get it together enough to be my own best advocate and get the care and service I deserve!

This "dry" patch has ONLY been "recent" ~ and I TOO wonder about it now as well. I take synthroid...only. AND in the last year we've had to switch to mailing IN our prescriptions...so it makes you wonder if in fact the medicine is "different" somehow?

PMH ~ I agree! TOOOOOOOO MANY SYMPTOMS ~ its almost overwhelming! But, I guess just being knowledgable and aware will "help" us help ourselves in being specific with a good Dr. one day? I'm hoping so anyways!

THE MORE people respond to sharing the SAME symptoms that to me are uniquely odd...the MORE I learn! Thanks all for sharing...brings me comfort in some itchy scratchy way! lol

I hope OTHERS will respond to this and share their experience too.

Lynn

Old 10-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

OK... I don't want you to think I know for certain about what's causing your hair loss.... but I have read people's accounts that they started losing hair, or started losing more hair, after they went on Synthroid... and that it stopped after they changed brands. Hair loss is listed as a side effect on Synthroid's prescribing information. Ironic, isn't it? I will assure you though, that it's only temporary, and stress again that once the right brand and dose is found, it will reverse.

About the rash... again, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like something specific to hypoT. Now.... I can say that hypo is known to increase allergies and sensitivities in some people, and it may be that you are now sensitive to the latex in the elastic of your clothing.
    It's really tough to say. But it's less likely that one itchy spot here and there is directly related to low thyroid than overall, general dryness would be.
    Have you tried applications of hydrocortisone cream?

It grinds my gears too, when an MD listens to a concern, shrugs, and changes the subject. It's almost as if you disappoint them by not having a fatal illness. MDs aren't my favorite people, either.
    (I just saw the results in an old Reader's Digest of a poll that found people have the most trust in RNs, second is pharmacists, and doctors are fifth on the list. Don't we know why, eh?)

Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #8
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynnHan
    Also my eyebrows are "flaky" too. I even mentioned this to my own Dr last week...and got NO real response. I thought it was poriasis or something? ~ but it got "brushed" aside. VERY ANNOYING!
    I hope OTHERS will respond to this and share their experience too.
    Lynn
    I've been reading all these "symptoms" threads, but this is the first time I've seen anyone else report the flaky eyebrows! Yes, I have that! I hate it! It's like dandruff, but I don't have dandruff on my scalp, just eyebrows. I bought a sample-size bottle of Head and Shoulders and once a week I use it on my eyebrows (a teeny tiny dab) and that seems to help. Don't have the waistband dry patches, but do get occasional ones on my shoulders. Have switched to fragrance-free, additive-free, everything-free detergents, but it hasn't helped.

I have the hairloss, too. That's very frustrating. My levels have been fairly stable, and the hairloss seems to have slowed down a bit. But then I'll have a day when I get totally freaked out in the shower by how much comes out, then it again slows down. I'm so tired of dealing with it, I'm pretty much resigned to thin ugly hair anymore.

Nornie

Old 10-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #9
    juner50
    (female)

juner50 HB User

I had a rash around my waist many years ago and my Dr. asked me if I use bleach when laundering my undies. I did use bleach and he told me to stop because the bleach reacts with the elastic and sometimes irritates some people. I stopped the bleach and VOILA rash disappeared. This may or may not apply to you but I thought I'd throw in my experience. Hope this helps someone.
    by the way....I'm a new poster but recent lurker. really enjoy the people on this board.
    Dx hypo in 1974 probably mismanaged for about 28 of those years. Just found a GREAT Doc in Ca. and he just started me on Armour Oct10th. Jury is still out LOL
    june

Old 10-22-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nice to meet you, June!
    Don't be shy... jump right in!
    Hope the Armour works out well for you. Let us know, ok?

Last edited by midwest1; 10-22-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #11
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Nornie posted: "I've been reading all these "symptoms" threads, but this is the first time I've seen anyone else report the flaky eyebrows! Yes, I have that! I hate it! It's like dandruff, but I don't have dandruff on my scalp, just eyebrows. I bought a sample-size bottle of Head and Shoulders and once a week I use it on my eyebrows (a teeny tiny dab) and that seems to help. Don't have the waistband dry patches, but do get occasional ones on my shoulders. Have switched to fragrance-free, additive-free, everything-free detergents, but it hasn't helped."

~ Nornie....Don't you just HATE that "flaky eyebrows" business! I HATE IT! Is your not only flaky but redish under it? I mentioned this to the Dr. and she gave me that it's STRESS related...and it very well could be....but, I also think it's connected to the thyroid business. Especially since I felt like I was "losing it" being on this stupid generic substitute for the synthroid! So, my question to YOU is....have you had more then usual stress going on in your life....OR have YOU TOO been prescribed the generic?

I've been back on synthroid now for a little over a week....my emotional symptoms have improved alot, my foggy thinking went away....and even my dry patches at my waist are starting to go away too! I really think this is allllllllll generic medication related!

When your undermedicated, you feel bad, you can't "handle" stress well....and all things start to feel like they are "unraveling" (for me anyways), my joints were aching again too. ALSO, I've noticed MUCH WORSE ACNE!!!!!!!! Horrible acne! My complection is usually rather good but I was having HORRIBLE blemishes....not just your basic pimples either! Has anyone ELSE experienced this too? Most ALL of them were on my jawline. It TOO is starting to "clear up" in this over a week of going back on synthroid.

I don't mean to be gross in discussing this (pimples)....but.....I guess, I feel when someone is so DRASTICALLY different then my "normal" I'd rather discuss it with those whom might relate do to this condition. SOMETHING is the cause.

ONE GOOD benefit from taking thyroid meds that's postive, my nails are very VERY strong!

Thanks for the suggestion June! Welcome to the board. We haven't "changed" detergent....or anything else in our laundry. Only thing that DID change was the change from synthroid to generic. It's GOT to be the cause.

Lynn

Old 10-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynnHan
    Nornie....Don't you just HATE that "flaky eyebrows" business! I HATE IT! Is your not only flaky but redish under it? I mentioned this to the Dr. and she gave me that it's STRESS related...and it very well could be....but, I also think it's connected to the thyroid business. Especially since I felt like I was "losing it" being on this stupid generic substitute for the synthroid! So, my question to YOU is....have you had more then usual stress going on in your life....OR have YOU TOO been prescribed the generic?

I've been back on synthroid now for a little over a week....my emotional symptoms have improved alot, my foggy thinking went away....and even my dry patches at my waist are starting to go away too! I really think this is allllllllll generic medication related!
    Lynn,

No, I can't blame it on the generic as I've always been on synthroid. Interesting about the stress relationship though. Hard to measure - I'm normally an anxious worrier, so usually feel pretty stressed out. Some days are worse than others, I'll have to keep track and see if there's any correlation. Looks like your problems seem to be going away with the switch to synthroid though. Great! Keep us posted on progress.

Nornie

Closed Thread