It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test results, doc suggestions, your thoughts, please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User
    Test results, doc suggestions, your thoughts, please

I am currently on .075 synthroid. Still have symptoms. Just got my test results back.

TSH .20 .350-5.50
    FT3 3.3 2.3-4.2
    FT4 1.49 .61-1.76

DHEA-S 28 26-200
    Ferritin 49 10-291

Doc included a script for Armour Thyroid 1/2 gr(30 mg) once a day.

Note on labs reads

Stop the thyroid .075
    Start Armour Thyroid 30 mg take one daily in AM
    Don't take any the AM of your next appt.
    Your DHEA is low - see attached sheet.

The sheet on DHEA says to obtain 25 mg tablets at any pharmacy, vitamin or supplement store. Take one daily. Even if you notice no effects, keep taking DHEA until your next appt. Blah Blah.

So, there you go. ...please reply with any advice. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Test results, doc suggestions, your thoughts, please

I will just bump you lillypad. Sorry you still have symptoms. Maybe your t4 needs to come up some more huh?

Old 10-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

Maybe....think the armour will do it? Just when I think I have this down I find out I don't!

Old 10-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have not taken Armour but have been hearing good things about it here on the boards.

Do you get tired easy?

Old 10-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lillypad
    I am currently on .075 synthroid. Still have symptoms. Just got my test results back.

TSH .20 .350-5.50
    FT3 3.3 2.3-4.2
    FT4 1.49 .61-1.76

DHEA-S 28 26-200
    Ferritin 49 10-291

Doc included a script for Armour Thyroid 1/2 gr(30 mg) once a day.

Note on labs reads

Stop the thyroid .075
    Start Armour Thyroid 30 mg take one daily in AM
    Don't take any the AM of your next appt.
    Your DHEA is low - see attached sheet.

The sheet on DHEA says to obtain 25 mg tablets at any pharmacy, vitamin or supplement store. Take one daily. Even if you notice no effects, keep taking DHEA until your next appt. Blah Blah.

So, there you go. ...please reply with any advice. Thanks.
    Here's what I think on each lab:

TSH .20 .350-5.50 I don't put much stock in TSH due to its variability.

FT3 3.3 2.3-4.2 This is just above the middle of the range. For some people this is great, but for others it may need to be slightly higher. Armour will help, here.

FT4 1.49 .61-1.76 This is right where I like to see mine. Chances are any symptoms you have are not due to low T4. This will likely drop when you you go on Armour.

DHEA-S 28 26-200 This is so low that I believe it is a very likely source of some of your symptoms. DHEA effects might not be immediately noticeable, but over time, getting this level up should help you feel better.

Ferritin 49 10-291 Ferritin this low, is VERY likely to caause symptoms, and it is possible that one of them woudl be thinning hair. Another symptoms of low ferritin might be fatigue.

I must say that I like that your doc gave you the lab sheet, made the notes on the labs that were made, and I agree with the action the doc is taking. The note he made that got my attention most is the advice not to take your meds on the morning of the next appointment. That is GREAT advice, adn tells me that this doc knows exactly what he is doing.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

OOPS, I missed something! If your doctor hasn't mentioned it, I have to. With your Ferritin that low, it would do you well to get on a good iron supplement. Take the Iron with food to avoid nausea and don't take it withn 4 hours of your thyroid meds. I would recommend taking your Iron with your evening meal if you take your thyroid meds in the morning.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
    lillypad
    Veteran
    (female)

lillypad HB User

Thank you so much! I am pleased that I am on the right track. Doc didn't say to supplement iron, but everything I've read does. I will do that also.

The most distressing symptom is fatigue, so fatigued I can't explain it. So hopefully the DHEA and the iron will help. Are you familiar with DHEA? I was reading about 7-Keto DHEA. Supposedly less adverse side effects for women.

I was looking at the armour website and the amount she wants me to take doesn't correlate with the amount of synthroid I am taking. I guess I start with 1/2 grain and work up?

Thanks, Meep!

Old 10-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #8
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meep

I must say that I like that your doc gave you the lab sheet, made the notes on the labs that were made, and I agree with the action the doc is taking. The note he made that got my attention most is the advice not to take your meds on the morning of the next appointment. That is GREAT advice, adn tells me that this doc knows exactly what he is doing.
    MEEP? Why is the advice NOT to take your meds on the morning of the next appointment GREAT?

Is this advise for the morning of the next blood testing appointment? (I'm assuming? ) If so? Why so?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynnHan
    MEEP? Why is the advice NOT to take your meds on the morning of the next appointment GREAT?

Is this advise for the morning of the next blood testing appointment? (I'm assuming? ) If so? Why so?

Thanks!
    After taking the meds, your Free T4 (if you are taking Synthroid or any other med that has T4 in it such as Armour) and Free T3 (If you are taking Armour ot Cytomel) will be artificially elevated within two hours and for up to six hours. 2+6=8, so for up to 8 hours after taking the pill, your Free T3 and or Free 4 labs will not be accurate, so it is better to take the meds AFTER the blood is drawn on lab days.

This advice does not apply if your doc is checking only Total T4 "T3 Uptake" (doesn't actually measure T3 at all!) FTI, and TSH, like most do. It also doesn't apply to Total T3 or any antibodies tests.

Last edited by Meep; 10-24-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Old 10-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Thank you. I'll make a note of that...because HOPEFULLY I'll soon have a Dr. who WILL take the right tests! I'll be curious IF that Dr will "inform" me of that as well!

Closed Thread