It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Feel Like I'm in a dark tunnel with no light..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User
    Feel Like I'm in a dark tunnel with no light..

I thank you all who responded to me. I've needed the encouragement. I'm always the one in my world who has the encouraging word for others. Most times I don't get to say what's right or wrong with me because I'm usually listening to someone else. I'm not used to talking about my problems...even with doctors...HMO docs are in and out before you know it
    I'm just waiting for my new higher dose meds to kick in. I've been so very depressed and discouraged because of the weight gain. I'm probably the only one who really notices. I'd taken so much pride in keeping the weight off and now this. I know it's my thyroid but I feel like a total failure still. So much of my self confidence and esteem is tied into my continued success at keeping my weight off...that may be bad or good (probably more bad) but it's true. My husband and I seperated a couple of years ago. Instead of turning to food, I decided to take better care of me and I lost the weight. We've been back together a couple of years now and I've had more self esteem than ever. Now...with this weight creeping back...I don't know...I feel like I'm going backwards and I'm crying all the time and don't even want to get out of bed...still I keep working out and trying not to starve myself...doesn't seem to help because I haven't lost another pound. Never minded working out because I saw results...now I don't ... just don't know what else to do. What is Amour? been reading about that on here a lot. Think it may help me? So sorry to go on and seem self absorbed...just needed to talk without being judged. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: Feel Like I'm in a dark tunnel with no light..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LucyPearl
    I thank you all who responded to me. I've needed the encouragement. I'm always the one in my world who has the encouraging word for others. Most times I don't get to say what's right or wrong with me because I'm usually listening to someone else. I'm not used to talking about my problems...
    You're in good company, here. I think alot of uus are like that.

Quote:
    I'm just waiting for my new higher dose meds to kick in.
    What was the old dose and what is the new dose? I remember postig to yo u aboput it, but I can't recall.

Quote:
    I've been so very depressed and discouraged because of the weight gain. I'm probably the only one who really notices. I'd taken so much pride in keeping the weight off and now this. I know it's my thyroid but I feel like a total failure still. So much of my self confidence and esteem is tied into my continued success at keeping my weight off...that may be bad or good (probably more bad) but it's true.
    Most people would tell you it is not healthy to obsess with your weight, but who is anyone to tell you how to feel or what to worry about, right? You are right that you notice it more than you husband does. Speaking from a man's point of view, he will be more likely to notice your face and your smile and worry about tangible things that he can "fix" that relate to your happiness. We men are wired differently than you ladies when it comes to that stuff.

Quote:
    My husband and I seperated a couple of years ago. Instead of turning to food, I decided to take better care of me and I lost the weight.
    I am glad you two worked things out. That is great news! There are so many who just throw in the towel and give up. (putting on my relationship counselor hat, here) When you feel better about yourself, your husband takes notice, doesn't he? When you feel better about yourself, he is attracted to that. When you feel better about yourself, you are more receptive to allowing him to do things to make you happy and keep you feeling better about yourself. Men are attracted to women that they can make happy. Theres more to attraction than that, but a man will find it hard to stay with the woman he thinks is the most beautiful thing in the world if he can't make her happy. On the other hand wehn he sees that he can make you happy and that you love him taking care of you all seems better in the world for both of you. I am glad you found that and I don't want you to lose it.

Quote:
    We've been back together a couple of years now and I've had more self esteem than ever. Now...with this weight creeping back...I don't know...I feel like I'm going backwards and I'm crying all the time and don't even want to get out of bed...still I keep working out and trying not to starve myself...doesn't seem to help because I haven't lost another pound. Never minded working out because I saw results...now I don't ... just don't know what else to do.
    Hang in there and give the new dose time. It WILL help and you will get back on track.

Quote:
    What is Amour? been reading about that on here a lot. Think it may help me?
    Armour (and the other meds like it (westhroid, naturethroid, biothroid, generic Thyroid...) are a natural thyroid med made from dried pork thyroid glands that have been mixed nad standardized to be very stable (much more stable than the synthetic meds, anyways). Armour has T4 in it like your synthetic med, and also has T3, but at a level higher than wha many people need. Consequently, it is a great med for many, but is not for everyone. I have taken it all along, bu a few years ago, I started taking Unithroid with my Armour to get a better balance and get the benefits of both meds. I believe that their strengths complement each other and their weaknesses cancel each other out when taken together. Most doctors dont' liek the idea, becasue calculating and adjusting doses can involve a little math, rather than a simple raising or lowering of the dose.

Quote:
    So sorry to go on and seem self absorbed...just needed to talk without being judged. Thanks.

Eveyone needs a place to vent now and then and get things off their chest. Let this place be an outlet for that and don't worry about having to let loose your emotions now and then. It is perfectly natural to have the feelings you are having and it is perfectly natural to need to talk about them. Anyhow, you will be better. The med increase will start getting you back on track, which will help you physicaly and emotionally.. Thyroid hormone has direct ties to both sides of that equation. Meanwhile come back all you need to. Despite the anonymous nature of these boards, we are all friends here and this is one of the most supportive places I have ever been There are some great ears to "listen" and some soft shoulders to cry on. Noboody will judge you and we have AL had our moments where we needed to vent, so we understand perfectly wehn you do. You are NOT being self-absorbed, at least I don't think so.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Your not alone in your frustration, many of us either are frustrated as well, or have been. Thyroid problems cause a lot of frustration and the hormone inbalance effects other hormones so we are on an emotional roller coaster ride. It will get better once your numbers are stabalized.

Armour is a natural med, made from pig glands which sounds awful but really isn't that bad. The pig thyroid hormone is the closest to the human, thats why they use pig. It does have both T3 and T4. Many people find they feel much better when using a natural med, even if only a small amount. I use only 1/2 grain added to my synthetic T4.

Hope things get better for you soon, hang in there.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User

Meep and Dea4
    I'm very blessed that two senior veteran members have responded to my whining (lol)Thanks for you for being here and for your patience, kind, kind words, encouragement and sharing your knowledge and experience with me. Meep, I especially took notice of your words to me when you were wearing your "counselor hat"...I "get it"...and I'll try to do better ... thank you so much.
    Dea4...you said a mouthful when you referred to "rollercoaster" emotions...it's so true. Thank you both, too, for explaining about Amour. I'll just try to continue to be patient...what else can I do, right? God bless

Closed Thread