It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone tried thyroid supplements i.e. Kelp..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2004, 05:50 AM   #1
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User
    Anyone tried thyroid supplements i.e. Kelp..

First I want to thank all those who have offered encouragement, support and valuable information to me with their responses to me. I'm very grateful.
    Now I just want to know if anyone on here who is hypoT like me have ever tried Kelp or any of the other vitamin supplements that claim to help low thyroid function improve? Ive been reading a lot about it. Is Kelp good?
    Thanks
    LucyPearl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User
    Re: Anyone tried thyroid supplements i.e. Kelp..

I've added suppliments because of what I've read on being hypo. BUT...honestly, I don't mean to appear STUPID, but I tend to "forget" why I found the ones I take important. Oh, how embarassing to admit...but, it's so true.

Here's what I take. I'm hypo.

GNC woman's multiple "Ultra Mega"....without iron and iodine. (this might be a mistake? Perhap I NEED the iodine? (after reading Meeps thoughts on this??)

High Potency Selenium 200 mcg.
    Chromium Picolinate 200 mcg.
    Potassium 99 mg.
    Omega 3 Fish Oil 2000 mg
    B-12 2000 mcg

Now, again, remember, I'm not sure why? LOL BUT, again, all of this is due to my own research! And..lol...I'm VERY GULIBLE! lol

It's just upsetting to know that I'm "willing" and "trying" and yet, I don't know WHERE to go for help and answers. I've even talked to the health food store employees and owner...but AGAIN, it's all half information based on what?....they certainly only KNOW what I tell them in that brief exchange. And then my own Dr. refuses to give me advise because it's not HER IDEA!

IF anyone has helpful tips, I'd LOVE to hear them...or even advice on what they see ME taking? I'm "open" to any and all comments.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #3
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Oh and Lucy? I once was shown a dietary supplement called "thyrostim" and iodine drops...but AGAIN? I don't know IF it's a good thing or a bad thing? I bought it, of course, but, I tend to "chicken out" after taking it...because I don't know what I'm "doing"....

I don't know if my comments will help YOU...but, certainly OTHERS have been in this situation?

Old 11-01-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User
    Talking Re: Anyone tried thyroid supplements i.e. Kelp..

LynnHan...
    Thanks for your input
    - have any of the supplements you use been helpful to you? How do you feel overall? I was just wondering if they really work. I guess it depends on each individual. I've never taken anything else except t4 (levoxyl). I beginning to wonder if I should look into supplments as well...I'm desperate to find something to get my metabolism back, if not better, then where it was before this temporary "setback" I'm having.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

You know Lucy, I'd have to say they do! I once thought I'd "go off" them to because it's so expensive....(I get this BRILLIANT ideas (NOT!) in my pea brain sometimes) and stopped taking them. I recall DEFINITELY feeling a "difference". However, as I "add" them, I don't feel as though I "feel" anything. Until, I'm WITHOUT. This happens to be the case with my thyroid med too! Does this make any sense?

My point is, I think the MORE you can do for yourself in your particular situation and with your particular condition I feel the BETTER! It's an intricate PUZZLE and it all needs to work "in concert" with it's self. HOW one goes about "finding" what's right and appropriate for themselves IS CONFUSING! But, see if the information your reading and researching definitely applies to YOU AND makes sense to your logic! That's so far how I've come to "learn" I suppose. But, again, I've been frustrated with my Dr. and it's high time I STOP being frustrated and find a Dr. who will work we me and have advise and guidance.

In other words..it takes time. OR...just do what MEEP, HYPODUDE say! ROFLMAO!!! Just kidding!!!!! lol

Old 11-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

I also feel it VERY IMPORTANT to buy quality vitamins and suppliments. I can't, however, tell you IF I DO or not! lol. (I'm such a pain! lol) ~ armed with ENOUGH INFORMATION TO BE DANGEROUS! lol

I mean, all of these things can be costly. BUT? I'm TRYING to "figure" it all out!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User

LynnHan...
    Been a while since I've felt like laughing but I sure NEED to!! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with me. I'll keep researching and make the best decision based on what I think. I kinda get the impression that I'm gonna find out a lot more here on these boards than I ever will in my doctor's office
    Have a wonderful day...I'm off to do some errands. Today is the first time I've been able to "drag" myself out of the house ... just haven't felt like interacting with people face to face lately. Thanks again!
    LucyPearl

Old 11-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

All I can add to the discussion is that Mary Shomon has spoken of her experience with iodine supplementation in her Living Well.... book, and it was bad. She felt much worse taking it, and of the thousands of people who have reported their experiences with it - they felt worse, too.
    Mary has Hashi's, as do the majority of hypo patients. I'm going out on a limb when I say that a Hashi-affected gland is partially-to-totally dead, and therefore can't make use of the extra iodine, and perhaps that's the reason people report feeling worse. I suppose too, that someone who is hypo for another reason might benefit, but it would be wiser to have mineral testing before altering the body's balance of selenium and iodine.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

I appreciate the compliment but I am far from useful as an information source as I am still myself, unfixed. I just do a lot of reading and took a fair amount of the sciences in college and high school and have always had a "fix it myself" attitude versus taking a doctors advice, which is probably pretty unwise. Meep is much more useful as a source of solid info. Read, read and read. The human body is actually very mechanical, like a car....all the parts have a specific function and if you figure out what parts are broken and why, you can get that old jalopy running again.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #10
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Just a tip. One brazil nut a day takes care of the selenium needs.

BTW, I take supplements, I feel the difference, I can't explain (it might all be in my head). I was taking "fatigue to fantastic" and felt good. I hated the taste and therefore stopped taking it. My thyroid got out of whack and I am wondering if I should start taking it again. This formulation has every vitamin and mineral, it is prepared for people with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Mintchoc

Old 11-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #11
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Mint... I read Dr. Teitelbaum's book, and there is a hint in there about making the supp more palatable, but I can't remember it. It might've been to mix it with apple juice or something... Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. You could then look it up in the book if you don't already know.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User

I take kelp and something this naturopathic doctor makes he calls it "thyrodine" it makes me FEEL better and my numbers are coming down, but Im also taking synthroid so theres no telling which one is doing it, or if its a combination of the two.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
    trian1

trian1 HB User

I am Hypo T, possibly have hashimoto's, and I have also asked which supplements to take to help with symptoms and the wonderful people here have gave me great info.. I have only been taking them a week and already feel better.
    Here's what I take
    Selenium- 200mcg to bring antibodies down (I am told this is a little too high of a dose, that 100 mcg isa better long term)
    Magnesium to help with leg pain
    Calcium to help the absorption of magnmesium. Plus, it never hurts to take calcium anyway
    Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2004, 04:46 AM   #14
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Midwest,

Thank you for the hint. You know, I knew that, I discovered it one day that I took it with cranberry juice, but with my hypoT mind it did not occur to me to do it everyday. Duh!

BTW, I think it is a really good preparation it has everything we hypos need. I buy it online because it is cheaper that way. The name is "Fatigue to Fantastic".

Mintchoc

Last edited by mintchocolate; 11-02-2004 at 04:47 AM.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:44 AM   #15
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LucyPearl
    First I want to thank all those who have offered encouragement, support and valuable information to me with their responses to me. I'm very grateful.
    Now I just want to know if anyone on here who is hypoT like me have ever tried Kelp or any of the other vitamin supplements that claim to help low thyroid function improve? Ive been reading a lot about it. Is Kelp good?
    Thanks
    LucyPearl
    I am a BIG believer in taking the natural route, whenever possible. However, I also caution you that things might not always work the way we woud hope or expect.

Before I was formally diagnosed by my doctor, I had already done lots of research and knew that I had a thyroid problem. Based on my symptoms, I was hypothyroid, adn I was right. I felt that Kelp would be a good choice, but I was SO wrong about that.

I started takign Kelp and over the next few weeks, my symptoms, especially the fatigue, got worse and worse, leading up to my going to the doctor explaining the symptoms and my diagnosis, as well as how Kelp had made me "crash".

Later, I realized that the problem was probably a nutritional one that caused the crash, but something to be aware of before you delve into treating yoruself, even with natural products. Here's a breakdown of what I know now:

If you are Iodine deficient and hypo, adding Kelp to your diet may correct your hypo condition IF you are not also selenium deficient.

If you are hypo, Selenium deficient and Iodine deficient, taking Kelp without supplementing Selenium, could cause your hypo sympoms to worsen, but taking proper amounts of both could correct the hypothyroidism.

If you are thyroid healthy and take Kelp, you could possibly go hyper.

If you are hyper and take Kelp, you could go more hyper, but too much iodine can inhibit thyroid function in some people, so Kelp MAY possibly help instead of making it worse, in some cases.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread