It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Best time to take Cytomel and Lexvox??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User
    Best time to take Cytomel and Lexvox??

I just got a Rx for 5mg of cytomel. I'm also taking 200 mcg of Levox. I'm hoping the combo will help restart my metabolism and relieve some of my symptoms. I presently take my levox on empty stomach in a.m. approx 1 hr before breakfast. Should I take cytomel at the same time? Directions on bottle say take 1 pill by mouth daily...just doesn't say with food, what time of day or anything. Any advise please?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    Re: Best time to take Cytomel and Lexvox??

Yes, you can take it at the same time as the other med, you can also get a pill splitter and split it and take half in the am and the other half in the afternoon if you get afternoon slumps.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User

Thanks, dea4! I appreciate the advise. Is cytomel known to give you "slumps"? What should I watch out for. I read side effects sheet with rx and didn't notice that. Thanks

Old 11-03-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
    diatron

diatron HB User

Its the lack of Cytomel (T3) that gives me the afternoon slumps. I take my afternoon Cytomel about 1 PM and am up and running again for the rest of the evening.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User

diatron,
    ARe you also on meds other than cytomel? Have you notice improvements in symtoms? Are you hyper or hypo?

Old 11-03-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

diatron is correct. T3 meds are short lived and last about 8 hours, thats why some find that they do better if they take the T3 meds again in the afternoon.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Another trick you can try to get more mileage out of your Cytomel, and this ONLY applies to Cytomel is take it with food. this slows the absorbtion of it so that it acts more like a custom extended release T3 med.

Again THIS ONLY WORKS WITH CYTOMEL and not any other thyroid med.

Otherwise, take half in the morning and half in the afternoon like others have suggested to help prevent the afternoon slump.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
    LucyPearl
    (female)

LucyPearl HB User

I'm getting the feeling that Cytomel is for energy only?? Is that what t3 hormones do, give energy? Is that how they work with t4 hormones? I read somewhere that the t3 hormones are THE most important ones for overall better quality of health...Wow..this is sooo confusing Can anyone help clarify this for me...I'd appreciate it

LucyPearl

Old 11-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #9
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LucyPearl
    I'm getting the feeling that Cytomel is for energy only?? Is that what t3 hormones do, give energy? Is that how they work with t4 hormones? I read somewhere that the t3 hormones are THE most important ones for overall better quality of health...Wow..this is sooo confusing Can anyone help clarify this for me...I'd appreciate it

LucyPearl
    T3/Cytomel isn't ONLY for energy, it is for moods, nerve health and protein synthesis, too, among many other things.

Actually, little is known about T2, but T2 is really the energy thyroid hormone. T2 is used in in the mitochondria (which are the cells' "energy plants") in each and every cell. Without T2, the mitochondria would have difficulty producing ATP as fuel. Too bad we don't know more about that process and how to measure and guage T2 levels.

T4 is critical for lots of things, too, and acts as a reserve for T3, since most of the T3 in your body is made by an enzyme stripping an iodine atom from the T4 molecule.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 11-04-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread