It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can I have hyper & hypo symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Can I have hyper & hypo symptoms?

Hi everyone,
    First off, I want to say that I am honestly not very educated on thyroid disorders, but am trying to learn. Thyroid disorders, as I've found out, DO run in my family. I've been sick since last January. My story is a long one, but basically, I'm on a quest to figure out WHAT is causing my sickness, especially my complete inability to gain any weight while not exercising one bit and eating at least 5-6,000 calories daily, and LOSING weight. I have many symptoms, but I don't fit either symptom catergories of hyper or hypo thyroid. I realize that you don't have to have ALL the symptoms, but has anyone had symptoms of both before being diagnosed? Also, I have been told that weight loss can be a symptom of many things, but the three most common being HIV, which I don't have, malabsorbtion (which I have been told by a doctor that didn't, in my opinion, do a very accurate test), and thyroid problems, which, obviously, I don't yet know if I have.
    Thanks so much: )
    ~Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
    mintchocolate
    Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
    Re: Can I have hyper & hypo symptoms?

I had hypo and hyper symptoms when I started taking thyroid meds, after I adjusted to the meds the symptoms went away.

It is posible you have hashimoto where the thyroid produces too much thyroid hormones at times and too little other times. I have hashis but was mostly hypo and taking thyroid replacement has helped to control the fluctuations.

Have your thyroid levels tested. Get the TSH, free T3 and free T4 and post it here.

A good book to read is "The thyroid solution" by Dr. Arem.

Mintchoc

Last edited by mintchocolate; 11-08-2004 at 04:57 AM.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yes you can have both, especially if you have Hashi's then your symptoms can bounce all over the place.
    Have you been tested for antibodies? If not it would be a good idea to get both TPO and TSI antibody testing.

Take care

Old 11-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Go get yourself a solid blood test:

TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Thyoid Antibodies (both types) and see if you have a problem.

I have Hashi's (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and I do experience hyper and hypo symptoms depending on what's going on in my body at the particular time. When Hyper, I lose weight quickly and feel very nervous and shakey. When Hypo I tend to gain or maintain my weight and am sluggish and tired.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

hypodude,
    I do have both fluctuations, actually. Especially feeling very shakey and losing weight quickly. For the past two weeks, I haven't been able to pinpoint why I feel innerly shaky, very nervous, and am losing tons of weight, all the while eating like crazy. But other times, for weeks, I feel so fatigued I can't move, require extra sleep, and maintain my weight. Hmnn. I am waiting for my grandfather to give me money for these tests (I don't have insurance and he agreed to pay) but I will absolutely request all of the above mentioned tests because in the past, I've had only my TSH tested, which I now know isn't enough. Thanks so much, everyone: )
    ~Katalina

Old 11-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

that inner shakey feeling is known as a tremor. Your doc will know if you just call it a tremor. Its a pretty sure sign of Hyper and/or nutrient deficiency among other things. My tremor can get pretty bad at times, but mostly, its just a nuisance. It feels like my inner leg between the top of my calf and my groin are trembling ever so slightly. Once in a while I'll get it across my ab muscles and left hand, but that is less frequent than my legs.

I didn't re-read your post. There's a few things you're gonna want to have checked:

Adrenaline glands with a cortisol test.

Adenoma - this is a Pituitary tumor via MRI scan - don-t worry - they're not usually cancerous and can be removed if you have a tumor that is squirting hormones into your body but can be a cause of Hyper - that's what my doc checked for me and no tumor for me.

Songram and biopsy of Thyroid to see if you have any hot or cold nodules that can once again squirt extra hormone into your system.

In addition to those mainstays, you are probably gonna want a full metabolic panel to see if you are deficient in a particular nutrient which can make your sugar go nuts as well as make you shakey and throw everything esle off. Magnesium and other can help with that, but you need to see if you are deficient in anything first. Diet is very important to Thyroid problems. Its like a fine balancing act. Eat too much of one thing and you feel like crap. Eat too little and you feel like crap.

Get your antibodies checked too - both Thyroid antibody tests. Your are probably high if you do in fact have a problem and are experiencing Hyper.

When I was at my worst, my antibodies were over 1400 I think it was. Its supposed to be almost zero in normal people.

What's happening, if it is your thyroid, is your thyroid antibodies are killing the gland. As the gland dies, those cells that are filled with fresh thyroid hormone release all that hormone into your system at once, sending you into hyper land and making you shakey.

Usually after a good burst of this shakiness, I notice at least, its usually followed by a few days of tiredness cause all the stored up hormone was released in the antibody attack and now there's not enough for normal daily life until it builds up again in a few days and the cycle repeats itself. Could well be an adrenal issue too. I usually get pretty nauseous when the hyper feeling first comes on depending on how quickly it comes. Sometimes if its not too bad it actually feels good for a while, like Im on speed or something but that usually doesnt last long and then it becomes scary.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

hypodude,
    Wow, thank you so much for all of that information, that is sooo incredibly useful and gives me DIRECTION, which I really didn't have before. I can't BELIEVE how much I related to the last paragraph. Especially when you said you feel tired for a few days after all the shakiness because you feel like there isn't enough stored hormone left because it's all used up. Boy, can I relate with EVERYTHING you've said in that paragraph- the nausea, and the feeling like you're on speed until it gets a little scary. That's amazing that someone summed up EXACTLY how I feel, I have to show my mom this post. I should, in a few weeks, have the money to see an endocrinologist again. Like I said, I went to one a long time ago because I was having low blood sugar "attacks" constantly, but she was soooo skeptical and made me out to be a hypochondriac even though I was taking my blood sugar and charting the numbers, and I had numbers to show. So I don't think I'm going to go back to her, but at least now, I know what to ask for, what to insist on, and what to look for. I also suspected adrenal problems, b/c of the whole fatigue after the adrenaline rushes. Thanks again
    ~Katalina

Old 11-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #8
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Oh...and my blood sugar issues cleared up after I stopped eating foods I'm allergic to, even though I keep forming NEW food sensitivities and allergies, but low blood sugar isn't really an issue anymore.
    ~Katalian

Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 PM   #9
    Felix73

Felix73 HB User

Hypodude,

Just picking up on something that struck me in your post. I have hypo and was told I did not have Hashis because my antibody levels were "normal". The last test I had showed levels of 200 as far as I can recall.

Would this indicate Hashis?

Thanks,
    Felix x

Closed Thread