It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need Help. How long does it take anti thyroid meds to kick in?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User
    Need Help. How long does it take anti thyroid meds to kick in?

I've been very hyper the last 7 days and today has been the worst so far. Curious how long it takes anti-thyroid meds to kick in after taking the first pill?

Do they work quickly? Need to slow myself down asap...this sucks.

Should I try some xanax for now? I have no anti throid meds yet but got a call in to the doc to see if he can do something for me.

Will xanax affect the thyroid meds if doc writes me a script?

Last edited by hypodude; 11-16-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Need Help. How long does it take anti thyroid meds to kick in?

When I started on atds, it took about two weeks to start feeling a little better. I was also taking toproxl 100mg. once a day along with the ATDS.

I wish that I would have got some xanax at the time. They are very addicting though. Am not sure if the xanax will effect the ATDs.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Thanks for the input. God I can't take these totally wild swings between hypo and hyper any more. I did great for almost 5 weeks where I felt almost toally normal and it all came crashing down worse than ever with waves of swings every 20 minutes it seems....feel like crapola.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I am sorry you are feeling so awful. Definitely remember that hyper junk. It is hard to live with.

I forgot, do you have hashis?

Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Lady and K9....My doc just faxed my pharmacy a script for Propolynol (sp?) which is a beta blocker. Have any of you guys used this and if so, are there any side effects and/or things I might need to deal with when taking this?

Is it like you take the pill and your heart just starts slowing down and you mello out?

I've never taken anything like that before. How much does it slow you down and what does it feel like when you take the pill and hopw long does it take before it kicks in?

I was wondering because of the way I toggle from Hypo to Hyper. I figure if my heart is pumping out 115 beats per minute and I take the beta blocker and after 20 minutes I turn Hypo again and my heart rate naturally slows to about 82 beats per minute on its own cause Im turning Hypo again, will it be VERY slow if I turned Hypo while on the beta blocker?

I'de appreciate any input. I hate taking any pills in the first place but anything has to be better than Hyper. I'de rather swallow a fistful of nails than deal with this Hyper feeling any longer.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah that is what you need to take when you are going through the hyper stage.

I think I would just take it when you feel you need it. It will definitely make you feel better.

I would ask the doctor if he or she thinks you should take it all the time or just when you feel hyper.

I didn't have any problems with a beta blocker. When I went hypo, it made me feel tired.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Thanks. Doctor said "as needed". Does it make you feel mellow like if you drank a few beers or something? Is there any "feeling" when you take it? Blood pressure issues?

Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The beta blocker made me feel mellow. It depends on the amount you are taking. It slows the heartrate down and gets rid of the tremors,lowers blood pressure.

When my ft3 and ft4 got into normal ranges, I didn't need it anymore. Hope you get to feeling better. It also slows the metabolism down. So, it is not good to take when you have untreated hypo.

Hope the beta blocker helps you

Old 11-16-2004, 03:09 PM   #9
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Thanks. Im not on any meds at all right now and my last TSH was 5.5 and my Free's were perfect. In trhe past, my Free's have shot into the abnormally high range, which might be the case now. Might be getting a nice healthy dose of T3, which is what my symptoms feel like. What's causing it though, I have no clue yet.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That has me stumped too. Hope you get better!!!

Old 11-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
    K9Mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

K9Mom HB User

Beta blockers will lower your blood pressure and heart rate. You will feel the effects of them soon after you take it.

Since you swing hyper to hypo, you'll want to keep an eye on your pulse. If your resting pulse is already low, don't take a beta blocker, it can get it so low that you pass out.

You can do a little test and take your pulse before you take your first pill, then wait 2 hours and take your pulse again....this should show you how much the beta lowered it.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:52 AM   #12
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Hypodude,

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily...but? Could you be experiencing bipolar? ~ I'm just throwing that out there...again, not to "add" to your anxiety?

Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #13
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Bipolar or severe anxiety problems could be the case, although my mother had hashi's and thyroid was removed and I have the antibodies also. My TSH has been as high as 15.5 over the summer.

I remember the last time my free T3 was abnormally high I felt really panicky as well.

This was my results in August and I was having a ton of these attacks back then.

T3 FREE - 4.51 ABNORMAL HIGH - Reference Range 2.30 - 4.20

Plus I've already been tested for pretty high antibody levels. Doc diagnosed Hashi's but Im not going to rule out bipolar. One shrink already thought that might be the case and I do have a ton of the symptoms.

We'll see...I just went a drew a full thyroid panel this morning....will see what's going on inside in a day or two.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #14
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User

Anxiety isn't very fun to live with. I'm thinking about you Hypodude! Hopefully someone (Dr.) can come up with an answer and get this addressed for you! Kinda bothers me why the shrink "might think" when you identifying with those symptoms! I'd THINK they'd KNOW? But, I've ALWAYS felt that ALL DR's are ALL KNOWING! lol ~ look where that gets ME, huh? LOL

Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #15
    hypodude
    Inactive

hypodude HB User

Well, in all fairness, I didn't really give the shrink much of a chance...one or two visits is all and he wanted to put me on some serious stuff. Before I was to fry my brain with tons of meds, I wanted to make sure my Thyroid isn't the cause of these swings. If it turns out it is bipolar, which I really don't think it is, then I'll take the meds and pursue bipolar. I've got too many Thyroid connections for it to be all mental, ie, a large goiter that shrinks and swells corresponding to my symptoms, the antibodies, a high TSH, hot and cold basal body temp and others.

But you are correct, the anxiety stinks. I'de rather be Hypo any day than Hyper.

Closed Thread