It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• menstral cycles on synthroid w/ hahi's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #1
    KeriLea

KeriLea HB User
    menstral cycles on synthroid w/ hahi's

I am hoping someone here can shed some light on my situation. I have been trying to conceive for 16 months. After 2 miscarriages my OB dx'd me w/ Hashimoto's and referred me to an endo. I have been on synthroid since July and trying to get my dose adjusted. This past month was the first that it was in the "normal" range for getting pregnant. The problem is that prior to starting the synthroid I always had 29 day normal cycles. Since starting the synthroid my cycles have been getting one day longer each month. I believe I am up to a 34 day cycle. This doesn't help when trying to get pregnant. Does anyone know why this may be happening? What would you suggest for trying to correct it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
    LynnHan

LynnHan HB User
    Re: menstral cycles on synthroid w/ hahi's

You maybe be estrogen domient. Which means your body isn't making ENOUGH progesterone. Progesterone is absolutely crucial to the survival of the ovum once fertilized. This is what progesterone does:

Prepare the endrometrium for implantation of the fertilized ovum.

Ensures survival of the fetus in the uterus.

Amoung a whole host of other stuff.

You need your Dr. to take your hormonal blood levels. On the 18 -21 of your cycle. You cycle begins your first day of you period.

Your estrogen/progesterone could be out of balance?

Old 11-19-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yep have the hormones checked, but also make sure your FREE T3 and FREE T4 thyroid hormones are within the upper 1/3 of the lab range, this can also affect the length of your cycle and your ability to get pregnant and carry a baby to term.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
    LuvMyLilDoggie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I agree with the previosu posters. Get all of those levels checked.
    I just wanted to add I hope you get pregnant very soon and have a healthy bouncing little baby!
    Good luck and good wishes!
    Sending prayers your way and a guardian angel for you to give to your baby when you get pregnant.
    Barb

Old 11-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
    KeriLea

KeriLea HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. I have had so much blood work in the last 1 1/2 years, I don't know what was tested and when. I think that I will start over from scratch and have my estrogen and progesterone levels checked along with my normal thyroid bloodwork. I do know that with my last pregnancy that ended in miscarriage my progesterone levels were low and I had to be put on suppositories. I do have a feeling that in the end my problems with ttc will be linked back to my progesterone or estrogen levels. I don't know what my levels were from my last thyroid blood draw. I was so excited that the Dr. said that they were within the "normal range" that I forgot to ask.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeriLea
    I was so excited that the Dr. said that they were within the "normal range" that I forgot to ask.

Within "normal range" does not mean that they are o.k. Your FREE thyroid levels NEED to be in the upper 1/3 of the lab range, if they are too low or too high it can cause you problems, so be sure your dr is checking your FREE T3 and FREE T4. It is very important that your Free levels especially your T4 to be in the upper 1/3 of the labs range before pregnancy and during.

Hope all goes well for you so you can have that baby!

Closed Thread