HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   The Thyroid Solution (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/232115-thyroid-solution.html)

Guiffre 12-10-2004 06:44 PM

The Thyroid Solution

I have never responded to medicine for ADHD and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. My mood had gotten much worse and they diagnosed me as Bipolar. I got worse and was hospitalized several times. My mother got a book called The Thyroid Solution and in it the conditions sounded like mine. She took me to Houston to see the doctor who was the author and now my medicines seem to be working. I don't think that the Thyroid was causing these problems, but I think it was keeping the medicines from working. I know am able to get help for my OCD and the Bipolar is for the most part under control. Could it be possible that my medicines are working now with the thyroid treatment with vitamins and synthroid and Kealation treatment (which is vitamins).

Meep 12-11-2004 09:09 AM

Re: The Thyroid Solution

[QUOTE=Guiffre]I have never responded to medicine for ADHD and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. My mood had gotten much worse and they diagnosed me as Bipolar. I got worse and was hospitalized several times. My mother got a book called The Thyroid Solution and in it the conditions sounded like mine. She took me to Houston to see the doctor who was the author and now my medicines seem to be working. I don't think that the Thyroid was causing these problems, but I think it was keeping the medicines from working. I know am able to get help for my OCD and the Bipolar is for the most part under control. Could it be possible that my medicines are working now with the thyroid treatment with vitamins and synthroid and Kealation treatment (which is vitamins).[/QUOTE]

The symptoms od hypothyroidism are very much like ADD and ADHD as well as symptoms of depression, and even bipolar. Many doctors misdiagnose a thyroid problem as those one or more of the problems you mention.

It is GREAT that you got to see Dr. Arem. If Dr. Arem is treating your for a thyroid disorder, he knows what he is doing, and you DO have a thyroid disorder. I would lay odds that it is restoring the thyroid hormmones to proper balance that is helping your other symptoms the most, though, getting the thyroid levels properly balanced might be allowing the other meds to be more effective, too.

As a side note, if you are taking Lithium for your Bipolar symptoms, that can cause hypothyroidism, which exacerbates the bipolar symptoms, practically defeating the purpose for taking the Lithium in the first place, if your doc doesn't watch your thyroid levels. I am sure that Dr. Arem is well aware of this, due to his extensive experience.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Do you have lab results that you can post so we can get an idea of where you stand?