It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What is Thyroid Peroxidase AB Test for?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
    Christine L
    (female)

Christine L HB User
    What is Thyroid Peroxidase AB Test for?

Hi all. What is the thyroid peroxidase AB test for and what do the results mean? I got an out of range reading:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB test results were 3.9. Range is 0.8 - 1.8.

Thanks.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
    Gopherhead
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gopherhead HB User
    Re: What is Thyroid Peroxidase AB Test for?

The TPO antibody test is used to help determine if you're dealing with an autoimmune type of thyroid disease - Hashimoto's most commonly.

The presence of these antibodies indicates you do have an autoimmune thyroid disease. These antibodies attack the mechanism your thyroid gland uses to manufacture thyroid hormones; over time your thyroid wont be able to to make enough T4 and T3 because of this. If your other readings are normal right now (and by that I mean a real normal, and not just within the lab range) these antibodies suggest that eventually things will change and you should keep an eye on your FT levels.

Nat

Closed Thread