It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• high thyroid peroxidase

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2004, 02:34 AM   #1
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User
    high thyroid peroxidase

Hi everyone. Should I be concerned or pursue any of this? I am having severe hairloss . It is scary because I am only 24. It is diffuse shedding over all of my head, and on my arms and legs too. I was tested and this is the results:

TSH: normal
    Thyroid peroxidase 230 (normal is 40).
    Thyroid Globulin: normal
    T3 and T4 were never tested.
    ANA-positive

So my docs say do worry about the grossly abnormal Thyroid peroxidase, sometimes people have antibodies.

What do you think? My mom is hypo thyroid and most of her cousins are too. However, when I looked at my symptoms some are hypo (hair loss) some are hyper (weight loss). The docs are doing nothing, saying sometimes people loose their hair. How should I pursue this. Could this be Hashi's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    Re: high thyroid peroxidase

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kathie T.
    Hi everyone. Should I be concerned or pursue any of this? I am having severe hairloss . It is scary because I am only 24. It is diffuse shedding over all of my head, and on my arms and legs too. I was tested and this is the results:

TSH: normal
    Thyroid peroxidase 230 (normal is 40).
    Thyroid Globulin: normal
    T3 and T4 were never tested.
    ANA-positive

So my docs say do worry about the grossly abnormal Thyroid peroxidase, sometimes people have antibodies.

What do you think? My mom is hypo thyroid and most of her cousins are too. However, when I looked at my symptoms some are hypo (hair loss) some are hyper (weight loss). The docs are doing nothing, saying sometimes people loose their hair. How should I pursue this. Could this be Hashi's?
    "Normal" is not a valid result for TSH. You need to get the actual number and the lab range of any test result, so that there is a basis to compare it to. "Normal" is a dirty word here.

Thyroid Peroxydase antibodies attack the very process that produces thyroid hormones, so you are likely hypo or feeling symptoms whether you are "normal" or not. a smart doc would treat you, even with a normal TSH in the presence of antibodies. I woudl get a second opinion an dfurther testing.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 12-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

Can I be loosing my hair even before the TSH is affected. This whole thing started because I am loosing my hair (diffuse shedding), not only on my scalp but my arms and legs . These are the numbers. I am 24 and female, reletively small, if any of this factors into anything.

TSH 1.81 (.35-5.5, normal)
    Thyroid Peroxidase 230 (0-35 normal)
    Thyroid Binding Globulin 19
    ANA- positive

Any thoughts on these lab numbers would help! Like I said I am having hairloss (hypo), but weight loss as well (hyper). No doc cares so this will be me figuring it out. What do people think?
    Kathie

Old 12-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

Kathi:

Personally I do think the TSH is a very poor indicator of thyroid disease. There is growing evidence in the medical field that some doctors are beginning to embrace a new way of thinking about this. My TSH was normal and I had thryoid cancer developing...the doctors were in denial. It took a year and a half before a nodule grew big enough...and a doc examined me closely enough. Even then...the TSH was still reading "normal".

My only indication that something was off...was sudden weight gain...but the doctors dismissed that single critical clue. I'm still waiting for an apology.

If you study up on it..you'll get to know...all the various thryoid maladies you could have going on there. I had Hashimotos...and had NO clue.

I say...keep knocking doors until ALL your questions are answered...hit them up for tests...and neck checks...and express...you are not fooling around...here!

Good luck!

~S

Old 12-26-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Also get these tests done to rule out anemia as a cause of your hairloss. Get these tests: Red Blood Cell (RBC) Count, Hemoglobin, Iron, and Ferritin. Any of these, wehn low or low-normal can cause hair loss.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
    dogtired

dogtired HB User

Quote:
    Can I be loosing my hair even before the TSH is affected. This whole thing started because I am loosing my hair (diffuse shedding), not only on my scalp but my arms and legs . These are the numbers. I am 24 and female, reletively small, if any of this factors into anything.

ANA- positive

Any thoughts on these lab numbers would help! Like I said I am having hairloss (hypo), but weight loss as well (hyper). No doc cares so this will be me figuring it out. What do people think?
    Kathie

Here's some info on the positive ANA:

What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease. Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA yet fewer than 1 in 1,000 have lupus. Thus, at least 95% of the people who have a positive ANA do not have lupus! A positive ANA test can sometimes run in families, even if family members have no evidence of lupus. The ANA is only a test and, like a high cholesterol value, a positive ANA doesn't necessarily equate having a disease. A positive ANA is only an indicator which points in several possible directions, and indicates that further investigation and analysis may be needed.

Also with having hair loss on other areas of your body you might want to
    see a dermatologist to rule out some form of alopecia.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Can I be loosing my hair even before the TSH is affected.

Yes, you might lose hair with a "normal" TSH because normal doesn' mean normal for you. How do you know your TSH is not affected? HAve you ever had it tested before when you were feeling your best? If your TSH is normally at .7 when you feel your best, then a TSH of 1.81 would be elevated for you, right?

Another thing to take into account is that TSH can vary by up to 3.0 in the course of one day in a "normal" person, so, depending on when your TSH was measured, it moght actually be as high as 4.81 at another time of day--even more elevated. Due to its variability, TSH is not really a good indicator of thyroid health, and is really only useful as a screening tool at its extremes. Many smart docs have realized that a TSH over 2 is suspect for hypothyroidism. Many smart docs also realize that the presence of elevated thyroid antibodies is cause to start treatment with thyroid meds.

Quote:
    This whole thing started because I am loosing my hair (diffuse shedding), not only on my scalp but my arms and legs .
    There are many causes for hair loss, hypothyroidism only being one of them. The presence of antibodies tells me that you are probably hypo, but as I stated in a previous post, get your Ferritin and other iron levels checked. If your ferritin is below 50 you will very likely be losing hair.

Quote:
    These are the numbers. I am 24 and female, reletively small, if any of this factors into anything.

ANA- positive
    TSH, possibly suspect for hypo, depending on the time of day that it was taken.

TPO Antibodies: warrant treatment with a trial of thyroid meds.

Thyroid Binding Globulin: IS this Thyroid Binding Globulin antibodies or just thyroid binding globulin. Also I can't tell anything without the lab range on this one. My GUESS is that it is TBG Antibodies and that it is slightly elevated, but maybe still "normal" (I HATE the word "normal" though.)

ANA as someone already explained, this is wide open for interpretation. It might be elevated because of the thyroid antibodies, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
    Kathie
    Waht other symptoms are you having? Hairloos and weight loss can't be the only two things you are experiencing. Other symptoms and a full lab workup woudl help to paint a better picture of what is going on.

Labs I would demand at your next doctor visit (don't back down. have the doc "humor" you and get these done):

Free T3
    Free T4
    TSH
    Red Blood Cell Count
    Hemoglobin
    Iron
    Ferritin
    Sodium
    Potassium
    Chloride
    BiCarbonate
    and a Liver Panel {includes Albumin, Alkaline Phosphatase, Alanine Transaminase (ALT) (SGPT), Aspartate Transaminase (AST) (SGOT), Total Bilirubin, Direct Billirubin, and Total Protein}

The above tests will paint a good picture of your electrolytes, Iron and thyroid levels as well as yoru liver health (Important for thyroi function, since the liver converts most of the T3 that your body uses). I still think you need to be on thyroid meds already, but a clearer picture need to be seen and interpreted.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
    Kathie T.
    (female)

Kathie T. HB User

Meep,

This is my full lab results: First, I had my TSH tested a month before this blood test, and again it was 1.81, exactly the same.

RBC= 4.13 (3.8-5.3)
    Hemoglobin= 12.9 (11.7-16.0)
    Iron= I know it was tested, but don't know which one. Maybe it wasn't tested, but I know I couldn't take iron vitamins a week before the bloodtest.
    Ferritin= 69 (10-291)
    Sodium= 140 (136-146)
    Potassium= 4.2 (3.5-5.1)
    So the Liver thing is a bit off:
    billirubin: 1.6 (.3-1.2)
    Alt 14 (10-37)
    ALKP 50 (30-120)
    Protein Total 6.8 (6.6-8.3)

So as you can see though some of these numbers are normal, many are just normal. And no doctor is doing anything! So if anyone has advice, on what I should start demanding please feel free. The thing is, I just have this really gut feeling that I know my body and I can't chalk my hairloss up to nothing.

Thanks all! You've been a wealth of info!
    Kathie

Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
    Lan100

Lan100 HB User

Hi Kathie,

Did you find an answer to your hair loss? I noticed my hair thinning about a year ago. My dermatolgist ordered T3, FreeT4 and TSH. All were normal at the time. I just recently went back (1 year later) because I'm still concerned about my hair loss. They ordered all the tests again including antithyroidglobulin and antithyroid peroxidase. Globulin was 49 and peroxidase was 722. Everything else is normal. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread