It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Balance/weird feeling, brainfog but normal thyroid results (ME/CFS diagnosis)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
    woozyguy
    Inactive
    (male)

woozyguy HB User
    Balance/weird feeling, brainfog but normal thyroid results (ME/CFS diagnosis)

HI

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with ME/CFS and was doing ok. But in October I started to feel off balance and weird while up and about. This was accompanied by brainfog. Now I cant sleep again because I itch and have hot spots of my skin and also I wake up (when I eventually get to sleep) with a massive fatigue...the kind that you just can't arise from. My thyroid tests are normal TSH is 1.7 (0.4-4.0) and FT4 is high 20.8 (11-23) and FT3 is mid range 4.5 (?-6.0). Do people with hypothyroid get these symptoms? I am very anxious and feel like I will never get out of this nightmare. I don't get much pain, but sometimes feel some aches. My illness started all of a sudden with a virus and I was dizzy and spaced out for about a year before it went down. The worst problem is feeling off balance and weird, I am ok wen I am lying in bed or typing here but when I go out to the shops it comes...always comes and the brain fog too. I did take my basal temp a few weeks back and it was 36.0, 36.1 and 36.1C on three morning. But I heard that people with ME can have a low temp too. Has anyone ever felt these balance/weird, spaced out feeling and got better with thyroxine? Oh and were your results normal too?

Martin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
    Ron

Ron HB User
    Re: Balance/weird feeling, brainfog but normal thyroid results (ME/CFS diagnosis)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by woozyguy
    HI

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with ME/CFS and was doing ok. But in October I started to feel off balance and weird while up and about. This was accompanied by brainfog. Now I cant sleep again because I itch and have hot spots of my skin and also I wake up (when I eventually get to sleep) with a massive fatigue...the kind that you just can't arise from. My thyroid tests are normal TSH is 1.7 (0.4-4.0) and FT4 is high 20.8 (11-23) and FT3 is mid range 4.5 (?-6.0). Do people with hypothyroid get these symptoms? I am very anxious and feel like I will never get out of this nightmare. I don't get much pain, but sometimes feel some aches. My illness started all of a sudden with a virus and I was dizzy and spaced out for about a year before it went down. The worst problem is feeling off balance and weird, I am ok wen I am lying in bed or typing here but when I go out to the shops it comes...always comes and the brain fog too. I did take my basal temp a few weeks back and it was 36.0, 36.1 and 36.1C on three morning. But I heard that people with ME can have a low temp too. Has anyone ever felt these balance/weird, spaced out feeling and got better with thyroxine? Oh and were your results normal too?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Your thyroid is trying hard, but it is LOW. So is your T3.
    If you are gaining weight, that is another sign

Get another opinion from a new endocrinologist. They have to supplement you with carefully measured doses until your symptoms go away.

I bet you will feel better when yourTSH is well below.. 1.0

A low T3 is why you are feeling anxious, worried and have a head fog.
    I also wonder about your testosterone levels.

Good luck,
    Ron

Old 01-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
    woozyguy
    Inactive
    (male)

woozyguy HB User
    Re: Balance/weird feeling, brainfog but normal thyroid results (ME/CFS diagnosis)

hi
    Ok, but my ain worry is the balance problem. My brain keeps giving me sensations that I am on a rollercoaster and light headed. I dont know about the weight gain. I know I used to be slim when I was 32 but now I have what I norally call a bit of a beer belly (even though I don't drink that much been, maybe 2 or 3 pints a few times a week)

Can you tell me why you think te FT3 is low at 4.5 and also I seem to have lots of FT4 at 20.8 don;t I? Does the TSH really need to be below 1.0 then?
    Martin

Old 01-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
    Ron

Ron HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by woozyguy
    hi
    Ok, but my ain worry is the balance problem. My brain keeps giving me sensations that I am on a rollercoaster and light headed. I dont know about the weight gain. I know I used to be slim when I was 32 but now I have what I norally call a bit of a beer belly (even though I don't drink that much been, maybe 2 or 3 pints a few times a week)

Can you tell me why you think te FT3 is low at 4.5 and also I seem to have lots of FT4 at 20.8 don;t I? Does the TSH really need to be below 1.0 then?
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

If you didn't have any symptoms, those levels might be fine. Since you have symptoms, they need to be questioned. A blood test called Hemoglobin A1c
    to see how well you are handling blood sugar rises would be a good idea too.

Are you dizzy in the dark when you roll over in bed?
    If so, a simple manipulation of you head to clear debris out of your balance
    system in your inner ear could be all you need to clear that up. An Ear Nose and Throat doc can tell you all about Benign Positional Vertigo. (or you can look it up)

Ron

Ron

Old 01-02-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
    woozyguy
    Inactive
    (male)

woozyguy HB User

I a not reallt dizzy I get a balance problem which will come when I start using energy and then brainfog ad i qwill start to feel ill. And I am fatigued especially in the mornings. I was given a diagnosis of post-viral fatigue synfrom (also known as CFS or ME) 12 years ago and its been up and down since then, but mainly I have coped coz it was mainly fatigue and itchy skin and some aches (not too uch pain). But now I relapsed with this awful balance problem. I am seeing a doc on tues about my thyroid. The ME associations just say it;s caused by a virus which affects your brain but there are so any theories about it out there
    Martin

Old 01-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Based on your tests, I wouldn't treat you for hypothyroidism right away, if I was a doctor.

My suggestion is to look into livier problems and limit things that affect the efficienc of your liver. Things to avoid: extreme low-carb dieting, alcohol, acetominophen, statin drugs, and any other med that is processed by the liver unless it is a dire medical necessity.

Meanwhile, also start yourself on a Selenium supplement. Most of the T3 in your body is made outside the thyroid gland (mostly in the liver, thus my advice above), and Selenium is a vital part of the enzyme that does this. Take 200mcg a day and see if that helps you feel better and get your T3 up.

You may see improvement immediately, but give it at least a month to work, and keep taking it if you see any improvement.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread