It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test Results - What is Normal???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
    May3
    (female)

May3 HB User
    Test Results - What is Normal???

Since I just received copies today, of my last 3 test results, I'm trying to understand them. Does the latest result look normal? My hair still seems to be thinning more and more and not sure if it has something to do with the Synthroid or something else. I would ask the doctor but the answer will probably be: 'it's just old age'. I'm 51, I don't think it's that.

Here are my latest test results from 12/31/04. I've been on Synthroid 0.075MG since August. They tell me the results are normal. What is normal?
    T4,Free 0.58 - 1.64 NG/DL 1.26
    TSH,Ultra 0.34-5.6 UIU/ML 0.79

My previous test was 8/6/04, the dermatologist told me my TSH was low, at this time I was on Synthroid 0.1MG. The results:
    T4,Free 1.24 (0.58-1.64) NG/DL
    TSH,Ultra 0.10 (0.34 - 5.6) UIU/ML
    With this test they also checked the CBC? What type of test is that? I noticed on the results that the EO is high 4.3 (0-3). What is that?

My test result from 5/5/04, I was on Levoxyl 0.1MG for about a year. I was switched to Synthroid 0.1MG, before taking a test to check levels. I noticed on the results, he did not request a T4 test.
    The test results: TSH, Ultra 0.34-5.6 UIU/ML 0.37. I was told the results were normal.

I'm hoping someone would be able to explain this to me, so before I call the doctor and ask for his explanation, I would sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Thank you.
    Arlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Test Results - What is Normal???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by May3
    Here are my latest test results from 12/31/04. I've been on Synthroid 0.075MG since August. They tell me the results are normal. What is normal?
    T4,Free 0.58 - 1.64 NG/DL 1.26
    TSH,Ultra 0.34-5.6 UIU/ML 0.79
    Your free T4 is about where it would be for most people who are on optimal replacement and who feel well. TSH is irrelevant, as it always is for people in treatment. The problem is, most doctors don't believe that and think it's a good indicator of thyroid levels. It absolutely is not. Because you still have symptoms, especially hair shedding, I would insist on having the free T3 tested as well. If that's in a good place in the lab range... in the upper 1/3... I might suspect it's the Synthroid itself. It has been known to cause hair loss even if the free hormone levels are optimal.
    Was there a good reason for them to switch you from the Levoxyl? If you were doing well on it, the brand should not have been changed.
    Quote:
    My previous test was 8/6/04, the dermatologist told me my TSH was low, at this time I was on Synthroid 0.1MG. The results:
    T4,Free 1.24 (0.58-1.64) NG/DL
    TSH,Ultra 0.10 (0.34 - 5.6) UIU/ML
    Again, TSH should not be used as a treatment guideline. Your free T4 was in about the same place as it is now, pretty good; but still, your free T3 may have been low. IMO, your dose should not have been reduced. CBC is "complete blood count". I have never heard that it relates in any way to thyroid, but is usually done as part of a complete physical, or when looking for blood conditions such as infection or anemia. I don't know what EO is. Sorry.

Quote:
    ... before I call the doctor and ask for his explanation, I would sound like I know what I'm talking about.
    You will know what you're talking about, according to the best thyroid experts around, but don't expect your doctor to know it if he treats using TSH.
    Hope I helped a little.

Closed Thread