It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Radioactive iodine treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
    poiball
    (female)

poiball HB User
    Question Radioactive iodine treatment and iodine-free diet

I go for radioactive iodine treatment on Friday and it's bothering me that they put me on a no-iodine diet (which is REALLY hard) so that the treatment will work well. The theory (I think) is that you deplete your system of iodine then the thyroid will take up the radioactive iodine well when you do the treatment. Then they say that 80% of the people who take this test go hypothyroid afterwards and have to be on thyroid medicine for the rest of their lives. They measure your dosage based upon your BMI and your uptake rates from the tests and yet they are telling you to change the way iodine gets absorbed??? Something just doesn't make sense. It's like they want you to go hypo so you can be on drugs for the rest of forever. Maybe it's a plot from the drug companies. I'm torn between following doctor's orders and just eating the way I want to. Does anyone know anything about this? Am I way off base here?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bonnie

Last edited by poiball; 01-12-2005 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarify title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
    Re: Radioactive iodine treatment

Did you try antithyroid meds first??

April

Old 01-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
    poiball
    (female)

poiball HB User

No, no thyroid suppressing meds here. From everything I researched on my condition (toxic multinodular goiter) it wouldn't help much anyway.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Oh ok! I would follow the docs orders, you just have to do it until you have the treatment, right?

Old 01-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

Pioballs:

There is places on the web that serve thyroid cancer folks...perhpas you should see if you can't find them. It would help you better understand the thinking behind the diet and the way the procedure is conducted.

It looks to me, like a lot of patients really don't get a comprehensive understanding from their doc...and that leaves you to figure it out yourself. The good news is you have the web as a resource.

I had a t-t, but didn't have to do the RAI...and I think its some scarey stuff for sure, so I'd want to get as armed as possible.

Good luck...!

~S

Closed Thread