It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Can anyone answer a few ? for me

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
jgruhn
(female)

jgruhn HB User
Can anyone answer a few ? for me

I was diagnosed hypo last Jan. and was put on 50 mg Synthoid. I really started feeling better after taking this for a while. Then last summer, my doc did a blood test and said that he wanted to drop me down to 25 mg. I have been taking the 25 mg since then and just havent felt right for a long time. I have ALOT Of questions!!!

1) Does anyone here ever mess with their own doses of meds? I was wondering about trying the 50 mg again and see if my symptoms improve.
2) would taking 2 of the 25 be the same as taking 1 50?
3) these are the symptoms that are bothering me the most right now - can I blame them all on the thyroid?
* VERY bad dizziness - like stumbling backwards when I am just standing there
* very cold
* VERY tired
* irritable - short tempered
* chest pains
* very dry feet - they are cracking really bad
* numbness in the eyelid/eyebrow area
* very forgetful - easily distracted

4) What type of doc would you recommend seeing? I dont seem to have any luck with any doc that I see. I seems that the first thing I heard is - "lets get you on an anti-depressant and see if that helps" And none of them will test anymore than basic numbers. Should I see an endo? Can I just make an appt with one or do I need a referral?

Sorry for so many question. I have kind of given up on every feeling normal or good again. I havent even really gone to see a doc for quite a while because they just make me feel so frustrated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
jgruhn
(female)

jgruhn HB User
Re: Can anyone answer a few ? for me

Oops me again. One of my biggest complaints!! I have been having alot of problems with my weight. When I was on the 50 - I actually started losing a bit but lately I have just been climbing. In fact, over the last couple of weeks, I have gained 5 lbs with no real change in diet. It is very upsetting.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

See an Endo and you do need a referral from your GP. I am assuming you are here in the US. It sounds like your meds need to be up-ped.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

A dose of 25 mcgs isn't enough to keep a flea going. You no doubt need more, but I never advise to self treat. It's risky. You could try going back to the one who prescribed the 50 and tell him what's happened... that you felt better on the higher dose and want to go back to it. If he refuses, move on to an MD who actually cares about his patients.

Most endos want a referral from the general practitioner, even if the insurance doesn't require it. But an endo isn't necessarily the best choice.

The best thyroid doctors practice by taking the whole body into account, not just a part at a time. Osteopathic or naturopathic doctors are often the best at this. Most insurances have no qualms about reimbursing osteopaths (DOs).

Old 02-22-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
CyberGodess
(female)

CyberGodess HB User

All the symptoms you mention are hypothyroid symptoms. One concern is chest pain, however. Can you be more descriptive? Is it really pain or is it more like pressure/discomfort? I believe that prolonged shortage of T3 eventaully causes the heart to weaken and eventually to enlarge. This causes a pressure like feeling in the chest surrounding the heart. The heart isn't able to pump adequate amounts of oxygen in the blood reducing respitory functionality. Same is true for the brain. What ever physiological processes take place in the brain and body during sleep is inhibited which results in unrefreshing sleep. I honestly believe this is what causes narcolepsy and attention deficit disorder. Lack of oxygen also causes the fatique and memory problems.

Do you feel more alert and alive at night? Is it difficult for you to wake up and get going during the day?

Based on personal experience and what I hear a lot of other people say, endocrinologists are the least helpful. Most of them are loaded down with treating diabetes. Diagnosis and treatment for thyroid conditions is well scripted. If the script doesn't work for a patient, they have some other problem and should probably see a psychiatrist. The problem is, the script is severely flawed, which is most unfortunate, considering the thyroid gland is to the human body, like what the sun is to the earth. Imagine what would happen to earth if the energy it recieves from the sun was suddently reduced by 35%! The thyroid gland is the main energy source that feeds the body's organ systems. If the thyroid gland becomes deficient in its supply, all organ systems are vulnerable to deterioration and even failure.

There's a medical mentality throughout the world that thyroid problems are easy to diagnose and simple to treat. So simple in fact, that it's been forgotton in the minds of most physicians. And when remembered, the mentality assumes that T4 is automatically converted by the liver to T3 and a few other major organs. Well, thanks to the Internet, people can research and communicate with eachother about things never possible before and what we're learning is, we truly have a crisis on our hands. Why are so many people suffering from Thyroid hormone problems? Too much or too little. We're learning that medications most prescribed aren't working as well as we've been lead to believe for the past 36 years. It doesn't work at all for some and for others it makes them worse. We also know that diagnostic tests are severely flawed and totally inconsistent with how most patients feel.

Don't let doctors suck you into becoming a lab test instead of a human being. The lab tests are only guidlines. If a T4 drug doesn't work well, insist on trying a natural hormone replacement which contains T4 and T3. Don't let a doctor cut your dose in half if you feel well but a lab test is out of range. This lab test paranoia began with a clinical study that indicated too much T4 may cause osteoparosis. That study was severely flawed because it only took a part of the picture into consideration. The mentality assumed where there's adequate T4, there's adequate T3 and the subjects in this study probably had conversion problems which is why they developed osteoparosis.

You should try to find a good Osteopath (D.O) or Alternative Medicine physician. Another good approach is to locate a physician that prescribes natural thyroid hormone replacement. This is a good indication that they are willing to try what-ever it takes to help people feel well. Overloading a patient with a synthetic T4 isn't going to do them much good if their body isn't adequately converting T4 to T3. It only took 36 years to finally get the opportunity to prove this point to myself recently. If I had only been diagnosed a year earlier, the quality of my life would have been so much beter! I hope I have helped you some. It's a challenge to try to be helpful and abide by all the rules. I don't think I broke any. If I did, it's only becuase sometimes the truth hurts. Improvement or great things never occur without constructive criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruhn
I was diagnosed hypo last Jan. and was put on 50 mg Synthoid. I really started feeling better after taking this for a while. Then last summer, my doc did a blood test and said that he wanted to drop me down to 25 mg. I have been taking the 25 mg since then and just havent felt right for a long time. I have ALOT Of questions!!!

1) Does anyone here ever mess with their own doses of meds? I was wondering about trying the 50 mg again and see if my symptoms improve.
2) would taking 2 of the 25 be the same as taking 1 50?
3) these are the symptoms that are bothering me the most right now - can I blame them all on the thyroid?
* VERY bad dizziness - like stumbling backwards when I am just standing there
* very cold
* VERY tired
* irritable - short tempered
* chest pains
* very dry feet - they are cracking really bad
* numbness in the eyelid/eyebrow area
* very forgetful - easily distracted

4) What type of doc would you recommend seeing? I dont seem to have any luck with any doc that I see. I seems that the first thing I heard is - "lets get you on an anti-depressant and see if that helps" And none of them will test anymore than basic numbers. Should I see an endo? Can I just make an appt with one or do I need a referral?

Sorry for so many question. I have kind of given up on every feeling normal or good again. I havent even really gone to see a doc for quite a while because they just make me feel so frustrated.

Last edited by CyberGodess; 02-22-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Reference

Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
jgruhn
(female)

jgruhn HB User

Thanks so much for the reply. The chest pain varies. Most of the time, it is like it hard to breath - the one doc just said it was anxiety attacks but I get this at times that I am very relaxed even. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest. But then less frequently, I will get the stabbing pains in the chest. Another problem I have noticed is that sometimes when I take showers, I feel like I am suffocating. I dont know if it is the steam or what but I just want to hurry up the shower because I feel like I cant breathe.

In response to your other question, I am terribly tired in the morning. Like I didnt sleep all night. It seems like it has been getting worse lately. I tell my husband not to even talk to me until about noon. Because I am so tired and cranky when I wake up.

And my serve dizziness is getting scary. it seems to be getting worse.

It helps knowing that I am not going crazy and that alot of this could be related to the thyroid. I know that anit-depressants arent what I need but I cant seem to convince a doc of that.

Closed Thread