It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• This is the FIRST time I have been "normal"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User
    Talking This is the FIRST time I have been "normal"

Yay! This is the first time that my thyroid bloodwork came back in normal ranges. I know that doesnt always mean normal but its a HUGE improvement from where i was at tsh of 92 and all that. So, if you could please help me out on deciphering how normal my lab values are that would be awesome!

TSH 3.410 range:0.350-5.500
    Thyroxine (T4) 9.9 range:4.5-12.0
    T3 uptake 26 range: 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Index 2.6 range: 1.2-4.9

Thank yall! Have a good day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User
    Re: This is the FIRST time I have been "normal"

For someone who was pretty messed up I would say that is totally AWESOME! Congratulations. I would not tweak the dose a bit if you are now feeling well.

So for all us sufferers here, can you tell us how it feels to be "normal"?

Do you feel well now? I forgot your story...did you have surgery or RAI? Please tell. We can use a little hope over here.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User

Thank you so much!

No I didn't have surgery or RAI. Last May I got really sick and the doctors werent figuring out what was wrong with me. I couldn't eat or drink anything and had to be hospitalized 2 times. I was having acid reflux something fierce. They took out my gallbladder. That wasnt the problem obviously. I had 2 scope down the throat things (cant remember what they are called). Then the second time I was in the hospital they told me that my TSH was 92. Then I went to see an endo. He scheduled me for an ultrasound, an iodine uptake scan, and a CT scan. I found out I have hashimotos with high antiobodies (4,699 range: <35). I was just really really sick. It makes me cry to think of it because I honestly thought I was going to die. But I finally got a good doctor and he has been running the tests and everything and now my bloodwork is finally normal. I feel great! It feels wonderful Of course I still have times when I dont feel as good, like that time of the month makes me feel bad because its like my levels still jump around, or sometimes ill get a few small symptoms. Mostly just a sore throat. But I'll take it As long as I feel healthy thats great! Thank you all for your support.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
    Ltraci2
    (female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Whooohooooooooooooo! I had to giggle over post #2. What's it like to feel normal? lol

Isn't it scary how doctors go down the totally wrong road! Removed your gall bladder? Yikes!

So glad you are feeling better!

Old 03-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Let me ask a few more things as this intrigues me. You had straight Hashi's with raging symptoms and the ups and downs and hyper and hypo and cramps and tremors and all that good stuff up and down?

What did they do for you?

Was it only a matter of taking Synthroid or something and adjusting the dose? What about those hyper periods when your own natural thyroid kicks in? Does that make you really hyper with the meds?

I am very curious cause I have been messed up for 2 years now with a wicked case of hashi's and recently was told I have Graves' too with high TSI antibodies in addition to the other AB's. I tried taking synthroid 3 different times and it was absolutely aweful. Thought I was gonna croak. It like made everything worse. I woke up the next morning to a 95.2 body temp and horrible shakes and then my temp skyrocketed to over 100.6 and I had tremor and heart palps...I mean I like literally wrote out my will that day....it was bad and that was only on .25 mg.

I would love to know if the meds actually supressed your antibodies. Do you know what your new antibodies count is like?

Sucks about the gallbladder too. You should ask for it back.

Im happy for you to be well. It seems like such a far reach for me right now. Hopefully I'll get my deal squared away soon. I think I might require surgery though.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 03-02-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User

Ihope I used this quote feature correctly...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastyhashi
    Let me ask a few more things as this intrigues me. You had straight Hashi's with raging symptoms and the ups and downs and hyper and hypo and cramps and tremors and all that good stuff up and down?
    Yes maam, I had terribly high antibodies when they were tested in september. All my bloodwork I have ever taken has come out Hypo. I havent had any come back hyper. However, I experience several Hyper symptoms, such as heart palps, hot flashes, tremors, feels like a rush of adrenaline that wont quit! Then I can tell when Im having Hypo symptoms because I am so tired, which is hard to cope with when you are 19 and trying to work and start college and stuff. I also feel a lot of the time like I am out of my body watching myself, like I'm not really doing what I'm doing...which can be frightening. But thankfully that feeling hasn't occurred in a while! So I feel like its pretty much gone away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastyhashi
    What did they do for you? Was it only a matter of taking Synthroid or something and adjusting the dose? What about those hyper periods when your own natural thyroid kicks in? Does that make you really hyper with the meds?
    I just have stayed on synthroid, that is the only medication that I have taken for my thyroid. The generic makes me feel terrible, so I only take the brand. I am up to 100mcg right now...seems to be doing the trick. Before that I was at 88 and it was almost there, but not quite. I went from 50 to 75 to 88 and now 100. When hyper periods do occur, they are not as intense I have noticed as they were before, they are definitely manageable. I am careful to limit my sweets especially if I feel like my heart is racing. I also do things to reduce stress and I find that that helps a great deal in minimizing those hyper periods. I dont think the meds make me really hyper, I pretty much feel normal now. But I know what you mean, because I asked that same question to someone a few months back before I started feeling better, so you will get better

Unfortunately I do not know what my antibodies count is...I haven't had another test since the first one in september. However, when I get one I will be sure to post the results on here for you to see! I might consider asking my doctor the next time I go in, he's pretty easygoing and might even do it just to humor me.

I hope you start feeling back to normal soon, I know you will, and when you do you will feel so wonderful!
    Take care of yourself!
    Megan

Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 AM   #7
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

That is fantastic news good on ya girl good luck

Old 03-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

That is sooo great to hear and inspiring for me personally. I so badly want to know that it is ok to take meds and get better. I just had such a bad experience with synthroid the last 3 times I tried taking it that it sticks with me and the thought of having to take it again possibly, gets me very nervous.

Can I ask if you ever suffered anxiety attacks and a lot of mental dysfunction? If so, have they gone away too since your numbers are good?

I really am happy for you, particularly at your young age. I'm 34 and I couldnt imagine going through this crap at such a cool age. Don't forget about us here now that you are fixed. Positive posts to me at least are the best kind. I love hearing the success stories.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User

Yes I had a lot of anxiety, when my tsh was 92 everyone kept saying you look so anxious!!! but i felt very tired and relaxed. So it was interesting. Lots of mental dysfunction...forgetting things mostly!! That got a lot better so yeah...much better!

I wont forget to post on here dont worry I like to read the posts still

Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
    Ellyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Ellyn HB User

Hi Megan
    I'm so thrilled to hear that you are feeling better. I read your post and said that was me back in 1988 when I first got sick. I too was in the hospital so sick to my stomach and they thought it was gallbladder. Then after a few blood tests my TSH came back at 95. I was then tested for antibodies and sure enough they were 1,500. Hashi they said.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
    kmac10
    (female)

kmac10 HB User

Hey Megan,

I agree with nastyhashi that it's very encouraging to hear success stories. We can get so hopeless when dealing with this stuff since improvement is so gradual. I am only 25 years old, so I can feel your pain of going through this at a fairly young age. Congratulations to you on feeling better!

I wanted to tell you that I also have had that feeling like you are not in your body; it's like you are there, but you aren't...very removed from the situation, so much that it is surreal. What a weird feeling, isn't it? If somebody hasn't experienced it, I'm sure that it sounds crazy. I'm glad to hear that this could be related to my thyroid. I was starting to think that there must be something else causing it. I don't have the feeling all the time, just intermittently.

What other 'mental' or psychological symptoms did you have?

Thanks,
    kmac

Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 AM   #12
    Its Megan

Its Megan HB User

As far as mental problems just mostly the out of body experience, forgetting things, and depression and anxiety like crazy!

Closed Thread