It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• "normal" TSH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
    givenup
    (female)

givenup HB User
    "normal" TSH

Within the past 2 years I have completely lost my sex drive, have become exhausted all the time and have developed severe acid reflux. I began getting a terribly raspy voice about 1 1/2 years ago, then started to sound like a teenage boy going through puberty (I'm a 29 year old female).

I finally went to the Dr. June 2004 for my voice, she immediately suspected thyroid problem, but my TSH was 2.4 so she referred me to an ENT.
    ENT diagnosed "the worst case of GERD she had ever seen" said that my vocal chords were just being very abused. Now you have to understand that I don't do an over abundance of talking during the day or night and don't eat bad because of high cholesterol which was discovered when I was 19. (at the time I was 5'10" weighed 120lbs and my total cholesterol was 319).

I have been on Lipitor 20Mg since 2000 after switching from Zocor 40Mg. Since seeing the ENT in summer 2004, I have been on Nexium 40Mg extended release twice daily. I return to the ENT every 3 months and she isn't seeing much improvement. Now on my last visit she found a pollup on my vocal chords that wasn't there before (she scopes me each time) and that is being removed on March 18. More background: I have had a swollen lymph node in my throat (to the right of my windpipe and under my jaw a little) for 5 years. It started with that 5 years ago, then my throat swelled completely shut and I was hospitalized for 5 days and they never could figure out what was wrong. I still have the pain in my lymph node, the ENT did a CAT scan and said it wasn't "enlarged, or abnormal".

So, back to the rest, with all this happening, I continue to have the following:
    IBS since age 15
    High Cholesterol Since age 29
    Now GERD for 1 year
    NO sex drive AT ALL
    cold hands and feet ALWAYS
    tingling from my elbow to my ring and pinky finger on my left hand
    Weakness
    Forgetful or foggy
    depression
    major mood swings
    When I get sick I get REALLY sick and it lasts a LONG time
    Gained about 15 lbs and cannot for the life of me get rid of it.
    family history - grandma had thyroid removed at age 32
    I have had every doctor check my right ear that always seems to hurt with them never finding anything wrong.

So I recently went to my gynocologist and asked for another TSH test because I just have a general feeling of fatigue and NO energy, that test 2 weeks ago was "within range" which was now 1.4. So in june 2004 it was 2.4 and now it is 1.4.

Can I get some opinions as to whether you all think that I should become more aggressive about this? Or are these not things associated with thyroid, or is there something else that i am missing that could be causing all of this?
    I have never had a history of depression or anxiety.
    I am on depo provera for birth control and my gyno said my estro/progesterone levels were fine.

I would love any advice you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: "normal" TSH

TSH can change half a dozen times in a day, so the change in yours isn't significant, in and of itself. But... if it went down, you can safely assume it has also been higher than 2.something.
    Also, people with autoimmune TD - which runs in families - can show signs and symptoms long before TSH rises. You should have your free thyroid hormones tested, and tests for thyroid antibodies would be a good idea, too. If the free hormones are low, even if within the normal range, you can safely take supplemental hormone.

My first sign of hypoT... long before I was diagnosed with it... was chronic heartburn. Now that I'm in treatment, I get only occasional heartburn when I eat something disagreeable.
    Yes, be more aggressive... Find a better doctor to look into this for you.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-04-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
    givenup
    (female)

givenup HB User

I should also tell you that I had my daughter when I was 18, high cholesterol and all this came after.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

That makes me even more suspicious that it's your thyroid. Puberty, pregnancy, and menopause... Any of these estrogen fluctuations is a common trigger for hypothyroidism.
    Has TSH been the only test you've had for thyroid? It isn't enough. You ought to have a full thyroid workup. The best 'panel' consists of TSH, free T4, free T3, and TPO & Tg antibodies. Try to convince the doctor that's what you want. Don't be intimidated. It's your health at stake.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
    givenup
    (female)

givenup HB User

Thanks for your advice, I will do that. I went today and got an herbal supplement hoping that it will make me feel more "normal" on a daily basis. I am seeing my Gynecologist on Tuesday for a regular checkup and planned on speaking with him more thoroughly about this as it is hormonal. Also, I have an appointment with the ENT in the middle of March for my presurgery appointment and planned on asking her whether my thyroid feels abnormal.
    I appreciate the responses.

Closed Thread