It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• biopsy tommorow, very scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
    storms_refuge
    (female)

storms_refuge HB User
    biopsy tommorow, very scared

Ok tommorow is the biopsy on the nodule on my thyroid. It is 1.2 cm on lower left lobe. I have alot of allergies tomedications and have been considering having the biopsy without using lidocaine, because I avoid drugs when I can (due to my allergies) I was told my the tech at the lab that alot of people do it without lidocaine. Have any of you undergone the FNA without the lidocaine and if so, was it pretty bearable for you? Also for those
    who did take a shot to numb you, did it give you that same feeling, like you cant feel yourself swallow, like when you get a shot at the dentist? I am totally neurotic about that feeling- I hate it. ugh. Anyway, any reassurance or caution that I should keep in mind, is appreciated. I haven't been very worried about actually having the biopsy done, been worrying more about the results, but now that it is at hand, I am getting scared. How long does a biopsy take? I asked the dr. but he said it varies so I didn';t get much information there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #2
    chathamdb
    (female)

chathamdb HB User
    Re: biopsy tommorow, very scared

Hi,

I dont know if i will be of any help, but i had a FNA and they biopsied 3 different areas of my thyroid. The dr used lidocaie,but i still felt everything. When he began aspirating the cells i felt like he was going to go all the way through my throat, but he said that is common to feel that. I was scared too so that didnt help. The procedure took about 30-45 minutes for me. I dont mean to scare you, but i am being honest.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
    Timaay
    (male)

Timaay HB User
    Re: biopsy tommorow, very scared

Quote:
    Originally Posted by storms_refuge
    Ok tommorow is the biopsy on the nodule on my thyroid. It is 1.2 cm on lower left lobe. I have alot of allergies tomedications and have been considering having the biopsy without using lidocaine, because I avoid drugs when I can (due to my allergies) I was told my the tech at the lab that alot of people do it without lidocaine. Have any of you undergone the FNA without the lidocaine and if so, was it pretty bearable for you? Also for those
    who did take a shot to numb you, did it give you that same feeling, like you cant feel yourself swallow, like when you get a shot at the dentist? I am totally neurotic about that feeling- I hate it. ugh. Anyway, any reassurance or caution that I should keep in mind, is appreciated. I haven't been very worried about actually having the biopsy done, been worrying more about the results, but now that it is at hand, I am getting scared. How long does a biopsy take? I asked the dr. but he said it varies so I didn';t get much information there.

Please reply on how it goes as I am getting a biopsy done next week.
    Nothing to be real scared about. Thyroid problems can be fixed with medication and them with thyroid cancer is the most curable and easy fixed cancer. It is not life threatning so just look forward to the future

Closed Thread