It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low TSH and HIGH Blood Pressure? HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
    Low TSH and HIGH Blood Pressure? HELP

hello everyone, I am very lost about this hypothyroid disease.

My TSH is finally much lower was at 56 now at 0.085

however my blood pressure is high it was 198/150 yesterday and now its 168/120, never have I suffered from high blood pressure, plus my face is pretty puffy, and I have this painin the back of my neck, and dizziness.

not sure if maybe I am on too little meds, I am on 50 mcg of synthroid, anyway let me know what you guys think? I am not sure what else to do, so sick of going to the doc.

T3 UPTAKE-34.10- RANGE 23.50-40.6
    T4-9.3 RANGE 5.5-11.0
    TSH-0.085- RANGE 0.465-4.68
    TOTAL T3- 1.21- RANGE- 0.97-1.65
    THYROXINE FREE- 1.5 RANGE- 0.8-2.2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User
    Re: Low TSH and HIGH Blood Pressure? HELP

Jenny, you probably know that hypothyroidism is known to cause secondary hypertension. However, I believe that should clear up, once you are on thyroid meds, and have your levels optimized.

Many people report some symptoms releaving quickly, and other symptoms taking a while to work themselves back out.

Now, in my case, hypertension started showing off and on, back then my thyroid gland started failing, maybe as far back as 1993. I started blood pressure meds in 1998, when it stayed high with readings often as high as 155/90. I didn't like the idea of meds, but felt the safeguard was wise. I wasn't diagnosed hypothyroid until 2003.

So, I thought the hypertension would work itself out, once thyroid levels were optimized. It did not. In fact I have had to double the dose a year ago.

No answer to your question, I know. But maybe a paralell anyway. Not to frighten you, but I would be concerned about the 160/120, not to mention the higher reading.

I presented once in my former Endo's office with 160/120, and she admitted me to the hospital for observation. Of course, I was so hypo at the time, I was lethargic too. So, the combination may have been more the cause for concern.

Now, of course, panic can cause temporary hypertension too, ya know. And just reading this post probably didn't help. But those are some pretty high readings. I would not hesitate to call your Doctor.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi, I went to CVS and got the Bp checked and its at 117/110 so I guess its back to normal, my goodness, its going up/down not sure what else to do

Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Hi Jenny i am hyper and l have high blood pressure too (also low tsh due to graves and antithyroid med) 2 weeks ago it was fine....... the week after sky high! Im all over the place too do you think you could suffer white coat syndrome too? I know l get very very anxious about anything medical l have to attend lm intending on buying a blood pressure monitor to use at home. I see my endo today and lm going to suggest l buy one because l know when l get there its going to be high! Good luck

Old 03-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #5
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yes when I am hypo, my blood pressure goes up for sure. Also, when the graves was into its attack mode, my bloodpressure was high too.

When the levels were normal, the high bloodpressure disappeared. Of course, my uneducated doctor didn't tell me high bloodpressure is from being hypo. All he did was give me bloodpressure medicine. How ignorant huh?

I don't know some doctors just don't know much about thyroid and you have to EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Just ranting

Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
    pete0303
    (female)

pete0303 HB User
    Angry Re: Low TSH and HIGH Blood Pressure? HELP

Hi everyone, I have been treated for hypertension for 2 years with inderal bp never came down at all but cholesteral went high so dr gave lipitor that was in Dec. Feb 1 i landed in my local hospital with bp out of control.all types of blood drawn sent home next day with dr orders to double bp medicine also lasix prescribed. 2 days later i ended up in hospital in city 40 miles from my home, with chest pain. bradycardia and anxiety Left heart catheterization done with no blockage cardio said probably gastric and sent me home. 2 weeks age found new internal medicine dr. she ran tests she called last thursday and said that my sugar was elevated and my thyroid wasnt functioning as it should. but she could not see me before the 4 th of April.over the weekend began to have bad chest pain again went to both hospital and got my records I was floored Back on December 17 at my annual physical my blood tests were HGB High HCT high MCV104 MCH High Glucose high cholesterol HDL272 LDL197 I was never contacted about this as matter of fact on my visit in january dr said take garlic and eat oatmeal and gave me lipitor i HAD HAD eratic weight gain for 3 years and dr said excercise your table muscle and push away from the table quicker.I have been diagnosed by her with anxiety and uncontrolled hypertension. The big hospital diagnosed me with congestive heart failure. To make a long story short I went to see a Dr this Am who is not covered under my health insurance plan but the minite he set down to talk to me he said "I can tell by looking at you before i even checked the records you have brought that your THyroid is not functioning and I am quite sure that your chest pain is because of that sent me home on westhroid and multiple nutrinal supplements. I am just so angry The other 2 doctors nearly killed me and i am so scared not knowing what to expect does anyone have any advice Also what should i do contact my primary care doctor who nearly killed me and tell her what it is so she knows next time, are they not trained to check for such things?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

And it was lol my pulse was 139 pressure 152/95 the pressure wasnt as high as most times at medical centres lol soon as l go in BANG! the hearts in a race!

Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User

ok, so great, it's back down.

I purchased a home blood pressur monitor ($39.00 I think). I took it to one appoitinment with my Doctor, so I could verify it read about the same as the official equipment at my Doctor's. It did. At home, I typically read about 123/78. At the Doc's office, I am sometimes up around 145/90, and sometimes down around normal (120/80). Sounds maybe similar to your situation.

I have no clue why this is. However my Doctors tell me that this sort of spiking pressure is the type that they are more concerned about as a cardiac risk factor, as opposed to the type that is more consitantly elevated.

I take BP meds as a precaution. I also believe the home readings would be higher without the meds.

Again, no answers for you, just a paralel.

Closed Thread