It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ipriflavone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
    dlkk
    Veteran
    (female)

dlkk HB User
    Ipriflavone

I am on calcuim supplements that contain Ipriflavone for my osteoperosis. I just looked up what Ipriflavone is and it is a synthetic Isoflavone-Soy. Now since I am hypo I try and avoid anything with soy in it. I didn't know that ipriflavone is from soy. My naturopathic doctor didn't let me know. She keeps giving me things that have iodine in them and now this stuff with soy to support my thyroid. Now I know that these things are bad for you if you have hashimoto's (which I have).
    Has anyone been on Ipriflavone? Would this stuff be interfering with my thyroid function or meds?

I'm thinking all this supplement crap is not doing me any good, because I'm not feeling any better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Ipriflavone

I have heard that soy will interfere with thyroid function or meds. That is all I can tell you for lack of much information on it.

Maybe someone else can add more to this.

Betty

Old 03-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have a more lax attitude toward these things than a lot of other members here, so you may get some different responses from them.
    But I think the amount of soy in that tablet would be quite small in comparison to - say - a tofu stirfry dinner. For that reason, I don't feel it will hurt your thyroid much, if at all. The calcium is far more likely to do harm if you aren't very cautious about when you take it in relation to your thyroid med.

Soy is unavoidable these days. It's in practically every food that's processed, and it's in the cosmetics and lotions that we spread on our skin. If I can avoid it, I will... but for reasons other than thyroid; but I don't go out of my way to avoid it since my own gland's function has been replaced by my med. My feeling is that soy will make a sick gland sicker; but once on replacement hormone, it probably doesn't matter one way or another.

I also agree with you about the questionable benefit of expensive supplements. I don't take many. Just a standard multi-vit, calcium and the minerals that enhance its absorption, some selenium and flax oil (another so-called "thyroid no-no" that isn't doing me any harm). My daughter sees my doctor, and he has her on so many supplements that she has to postpone buying a new car because the cost of the supps is eating into her payment budget! She feels better these days, but I think it's because of the Armour and her 20+lb weight loss ... not the $230 worth of extraneous pills. That's just nuts, I think.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
    dlkk
    Veteran
    (female)

dlkk HB User

I am very sensitive to supplements/medications. I prefer to get my nutrients from foods. But I am seeing this Naturopathic doctor, because my regular doctor no longer wanted to treat my thyroid. Now I am wondering if I opened a can of worms by starting with her. She has me seeing her once a month, which I have to pay out of pocket. She has me taking all this stuff and I still don't feel any better then when I first began. She finally increased my Armour dose form 60mg to 75mg, however I don't feel comfortable with her monitoring my thyroid. I have to pay for the tests myself which is ok, but everything else seems a waste.

"But I think the amount of soy in that tablet would be quite small in comparison to - say - a tofu stirfry dinner."
    The amount that I am taking is 450mgs a day of Ipriflavone. I don't know if that is a lot or not but it seems like it is.

Yes I know that soy is in everything. So when I buy foods I look to make sure it has no soy in it and if it does I try and eat as little as possible.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dlkk
    The amount that I am taking is 450mgs a day of Ipriflavone. I don't know if that is a lot or not but it seems like it is.
    Wow... It is considerably more in a pill than I thought could be packed in there. I can't blame you for being concerned.
    I did a quick little search on the subject. Even for osteoporosis, that amount of isoflavone would be a lot. A study conducted by Potter et al. in 1998 showed showed 40 grams of soy protein isolate per day containing 90 mg total isoflavones/day for 6 months had a positive effect on bone density in post-menopausal women. That's a lot more than you're taking. There is also no evidence that taking it in pill form works as well as getting it from food sources.

I'm just skeptical of the benefits of soy in general, not just when it comes to thyroid. It hasn't been proven that the benefits outweigh the risks to my satisfaction.

I'll stop far short of saying your doctor doesn't know what she's doing, but I don't blame you for feeling leery of her methods. I'd be, too.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
    dlkk
    Veteran
    (female)

dlkk HB User

......leery I am getting. Even one tablet has 150mg. I'm just going back to taking my Calcium,Magnesium,& Zinc supplements from Trader Joe's.

Closed Thread