It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• FT3 spike / FT4 drop

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
    Divermon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Divermon HB User
    FT3 spike / FT4 drop

I had an odd blood test result, and wanted to see if anyone had any clue.

I take only T4 (Levoxyl), and do not take any form of T3 med.
    My dose is 150 mcg, and I consider my gland to be mostly non-functional.
    I do have TPO Abs, typically around 300 - 600.
    I do not have TG Abs.

Typically, my FT3 follows FT4, up and down, proportionally in their respective reference ranges.

However once, early last year, and now again earlier this month, these two levels diverged. FT3 spiked sparply, with a corresponding drop in FT4.

Last year, I had theorized the spike was due to adding selenium, and a possible over-conversion of F4 to T3. I backed off the selenium, re-tested 9 days later, and all was back to "normal" This month, there are no contributing factor known to me.

I think I understand the drop in FT4, because I would expect T4 to drop with a T3 spike, as the T3 is converted from T4. The T3 has to come from conversion, since it's not getting it from my gland or T3 meds.

What I don't understand though, is what would cause the FT3 spike.

Note my intentional use/omition of "F" nomenclature above. I cannot make certain assumptions, since I do not also have corresponding TT3 and TT4 historical values, to indicate what is normal for me.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread