It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• The truth about thryoid and skin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User
    Angry The truth about thryoid and skin?

Hi All:

As most of you who are familiar with me know by now...I'm none too pleased with how the doctors grossly misinformed and mistreated me following my TT a year ago. Fighting to get well while wading through all the deliberate confusion has been alarming and frustrating.

I have been VERY concerned about my skin. It looks creaped and old now. Its shocking. Getting someone to admit to even seeing what I'm talking about has been an unending frustration. Plenty of people in the thryoid community tell me...this "premature aging thing" is temporary...if they even admit to it really happening.

No..you can't just put on some moisturizer. Its not dry...its like droopy and puckered. It looks like its 70-years old. Suddenly deep criss-cross lines are developing around my eyes. No kidding!

Finally...an Osteopath I started seeing recently admitted he could see the terrible hideous wrinkling on my hands. He agreed...it looks much older than my years and is unacceptable. FINALLY. I want to cry.

Now..today a friend called and said he'd met someone who had a TT back in "93". According to him...she seemed normal accept for her shockingly old appearing hands. His own sister..pointed this oddness out to him...which he agreed did seem very out of step with her age.

So...tell me...why are so many people willing to continue to propogate this lie? If your skin gets ruined....why can't someone admit it? If you get pre-maturely aged...and you look terrible following a TT...why can't someone just put the truth out there? I have had so many lies shoveled at me...why can't there be some truth? Why does it have to be this way?

I'm trying to fight to get well...here and I want to know what the realistic expectations should be. Is that so much to ask? This operation has only been performed for over 100 years ...and there is no information on how somone fares after such a procedure? How is that?

I'd love some insights. Anything to add here?

~S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
    suem
    (female)

suem HB User
    Re: The truth about thryoid and skin?

Softcrush,
    I dont have the answers you are looking for, however I also have noticed the very old looking hands that are puckered, dry and wrinkled.
    I keep hoping as my TSH level comes down and FT4 goes to the middle range that this will go away. suem

Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

SueM:

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm VERY sorry that you too are having the same issue. I have read that it resolves after proper treatment...but as you probably already suspect....that may not be entirely true. I'm trying to not be livid all the time about this. It looks like irreversable aging to me.

I wish someone else would jump in here and describe what the "skin" aspect of their TD journey has entailed.

Thanks all...for listening to my rant.

~S

Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
    diatron

diatron HB User

I used to have skin on my hands that looked just like my grandmother's--when she was in her 80s. Now that I am treating my hypothyroidism (for a year), they seem to be getting better. The skin doesn't look so thin or wrinkly. I've always had a lot of face wrinkles, so I can't tell if those are going away. I can just hope they will get better as my hands gradually look better.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

Diatron:

Thank you very much for the encouragement. Right now anything that I lean my hands against for even a moment leave an impression. So, for example if my hands are cold and I fold them under my arms for a few minuets....a bunch on lines from my sweater get imprinted on my skin.

I see that my face is puffy and crow's feet have shown up...with a lot of wrinkling around my eyes. NONE of this was here a year ago. Even the skin on my neck is sort of saggy and has lines now....all the way around.

This entire year has been so traumatic...and with everyone telling me...I'll be back, I worry that if I do "get back" I'll be a very worn out looking version. Its just all too much to take in. Ya know?

Thanks again...maybe it will go away as my levels stabalize.

~S

Old 04-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
    skewch
    (female)

skewch HB User

Softcrush,

Its funny how I read these boards every day and there is always something I learn.

Just last night, I noticed my forearms....well, it looks like they have all these age spots on them....upon closer evaluation it looks like my pores on my arms are HUGE and discolored...I look like crud. I mean, this whole procedure was supposed to make me feel better, well it hasn't.

As I read your post tonight I felt your anger, frustration and how livid you feel. I feel so much the same way. I almost feel like I need a phych doctor to help me in line here because I'm so angry. I'm mad at everyone. I am really mad when things don't go right, and with my low calcium level which has not improved one bit, infuriates me.

My dr. is finally sending me to an endo, but haven't received the call back yet confirming that. She said today, but no call....grrrrr. I also have to increase my daily intake of calcium to 20 pills a day....that is just so stupid, I'm so fed up.

Anyways about the skin, I do notice my skin is horrible, much worse than it was before my surgery and it was bad then too...very dry and flaky and I have eczema in several areas...I am allergic to metal so doing dishes in my stainless steel sink makes my left arm break out for weeks....

I JUST WANNA BE NORMAL!!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
    alltaurus
    (female)

alltaurus HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 36, I have almost no hair left and I've never seen anything like my awful ugly skin before, its flakey and oily, always feels tight and dry. Mostly when I wake up in the morning I have deep creases and wrinkles and dark patches everywhere.

I used to get compliments on how young I looked. Now I'm embarrassed to look at anyone.

Closed Thread