It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

help what should I do

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
pete0303
(female)

pete0303 HB User
Exclamation help what should I do

Two weeks age i went to a holistic doctor with all the signs of Hypo, He does not diagnose by any blood work, Uses temp and symptoms. He prescribed 2 grains westhroid a day and since then I have been feeling so much better, Now the kicker, I recieved my lab results yesterday from my primary care physician who i am not totally impressed with but here are the results,Ihad taken both doses of westroid before the test TSH0.08 T-41.6 range0.8-1.8 NG DL T3 free 630 high rang 230-420 I can not get an appointment with either of thses doctors for 2 weeks. Should i quit taking the westhroid and if i am truely hyper and not hypo what should i expect I am so confused and dont know what to do what might be wrong with me I am wondering if i have Hashimotos and wonder how i am going to convince either doctor of the need to find out what is wrong with me. Thanks betty and all of you that have been my only support system, I appreciate it very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: help what should I do

Your test results look confusing as you have typed them. This is what I see... correct me if I'm wrong --
TSH is .08
T4 is 1.6 [0.8-1.8] (I assume this is free T4, right?)
FT3 is 630 [230-420]

The fact that you took 2 grains of med before the test may have greatly skewed the FT4/FT3 ... enough that you can't rely on that high result to be valid. I'm a little concerned why a doctor who isn't treating you for thyroid would be interested in your test results. Is he trying to use them as ammunition against your being treated? Weirder things have happened.

Two grains is a pretty high dose to start, but if you're generally feeling better, it's too late to think about that now. The fact that you feel better means you really do need something. At this point, as long as you don't exhibit any hyper symptoms or signs, you can assume you aren't hyper. (Check your prescription insert or the "Information Archive" for hyper or overmedication symptoms.) If you do begin having any hyper signs, you will want to call the prescribing doctor and report it.

I'm of the opinion that if your symptoms are purely hypo, and they've been that way for a long time, it really doesn't matter too much if the cause is Hashi's or not. The treatment is the same in any case. The only exception I can think of is when a young woman is planning a family. It would be useful to find out if antibodies are present so they can be dealt with, if possible.

Closed Thread