It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

pain in ears and neck?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
BethanyF
(female)

BethanyF HB User
pain in ears and neck?

Hi,
It's been awile since I've been on and I could use a little help. I've been off synthroid for about 3 months now. I stopped taking it around Christmas because it was sending me into hyper and I couldn't get a doc to regulate the dosage. Anyway, after my levels normalized a little, I felt great for a while. Now, for about a month, I've had a stiff neck, achy thyroid and my ears hurt. Has anyone experienced this? My OBGYN has agreed to put me back on synthroid and I started it yesterday. I feel AWFUL. I hurt all over and feel like I have the flu all the time. Anyone out there feel like this?????

Last edited by BethanyF; 04-02-2005 at 07:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 05:33 AM   #2
pixiek
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: pain in ears and neck?

Yes, I just started the same meds and for two to three days (I'm in my fourth now) I felt woozy and not good at all! But I asked on another board and I heard to give yourself about a week to adjust...I feeling a bit better already. PixieK

Old 04-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I couldn't tolerate Synthroid. It made me hyper in even the smallest dose. It made me ache all over, and it completely took away my appetite.
Since I've been taking Armour thyroid, I have had no problems like these at all.
If Synthroid isn't working, it's time to try something else. If Synthroid is all your doctor will prescribe, try a diffferent doctor.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

I'd second that suggestion, see another doctor, and you don't really have to mention it, so as not to hurt the regular doctor's feelings. So many just admit they don't know much if anything about thyroid, you have to shop around. Might have to try several.

Meanwhile, there otc herbals, in case you have an ear infection and sore, maybe swollen glands in the neck. Dr. Teittlebaum in Md. has a book that recommends ecchinacea to mobilize your body's defenses.

I've been doing this for years instead of using antibiotics. Not knowing what strength the caplets are, I've learned by experimenting that I usually need about four at a time, and I usually take some odorless garlic capsules too, 1000 mg, which I've heard are good for cholesterol control as well as infections. My blood pressure went from too high to too low, probably due to inadequate thyroid meds, also causing muscle pain, fibromyalgia, so I stopped it for a while. Saves you a doctor appointment if it works.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
BethanyF
(female)

BethanyF HB User

Thank you for responsding so quickly. I felt this way before I started taking the meds. I have been able to tolerate Synthroid before. These issues started about a year ago and have continued to get worse which is why I started back on the meds. I'm so frustrated and feel awful. I go to the doc tomorrow so we'll see what he says. I feel like I need another ultrasound to see if anything has changed. I had one in August and they did find a small nodule so I'm wondering if it's bigger??

Old 04-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Going off the thyroid meds can make them grow. Going back on them may shrink the nodule. I would wait and see how you feel and test in about 8 weeks. This flu like feeling may take a couple of weeks to go away. I think it is a common feeling when you are hypo though. Did they do a TSH ect... to see where you are as far as hypo?

Old 04-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
BethanyF
(female)

BethanyF HB User

Yes, the last tsh was 4.7 and my t4 was .70.
Had more blood work done today so we'll see. I have a scan tomorrow on my neck and thyroid.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
katski913

katski913 HB User

I have taken my synthroid before I go to bed now for years. When I started I had a very hard time adjusting to it. So my friend (the nurse) recommended that I take it at night. It seems to help. I know the ideal time to take it is in the morning (and no food for the first hour or something like that). I always seem to adjust to a higher dosage a lot better this way, too.
Kathy

Closed Thread