It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• "clicking" in my throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
    seargentdimples
    (female)

seargentdimples HB User
    "clicking" in my throat

Hello there, quite a few years ago, I was put on med's for hypothyroidism, but went off after a few months. I have been restested, and I suppose came back normal. 3 weeks ago, I had a scope done, down into my stomach. For the last 2 weeks, I have noticed a "clicking" sensation when I swallow. It doesn't hurt, but sometimes makes me feel like I have a "lump" in my throat, and it is mainly annoying. I don't really feel out of the ordinary, I am always tired due to working nites, and running on about 4 to 6 hours of sleep a nite. Any suggestions? Could this be the thyroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: "clicking" in my throat

Hello, Do you have copies of your thyroid bloodtests with the ranges? You can post them here on the boards and someone can help you interpret them.

If you are hypothyroid, your tongue can swell and it does feel like a lump in the throat. There are many other symptoms of hypothyroidism. Just check out the INformation Archive at the top of the boards and it has a list of symptoms.

When I am hypo, my legs hurt, get depressed, have facial swelling(especially around the eyes), forgetfulness, hair falls out easily.

My hair only falls out if my levels are very LOW.

Hope this helped
    Betty

Old 04-04-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
    seargentdimples
    (female)

seargentdimples HB User

No, I don't have my results in front of me, but I can get a copy. I haven't been feeling well the last year, or so anyway. Found out that I have "fat infiltration of the liver", so I am working on losing weight because of that. I have had trouble losing weight, forgetfulness, tired all the time, but blamed it on working nites, and getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep a nite, if I was lucky, when I was used to getting atleast 8, maybe 10. Sometimes wonder if it's not just cuz I'm getting older, lol. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
    seargentdimples
    (female)

seargentdimples HB User

Well, I finally went to see an ENT, and they said that this "clicking" in my throat is caused by calcified bone. They said usually they don't see this until people are older, "and by no means are you older" they said. They said usually 70 or 80 yrs (I am only 35). Wierd huh? lol. Atleast it isn't something serious....thanks everyone!

Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
    lfr
    (female)

lfr HB User

I just saw my surgeon yesterday - I starting "clicking" the other day - post surgery. It was hard to explain to him what I meant by clicking......but he thinks with me it's from the surgery - and some scar adhesions beginning to form. With me, I noticed if I look up when I swallow, it doesn't click.... the clicking doesn't hurt but it's bothersome....

Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
    carisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carisa789 HB User

My thyroid was swollen for the last few months. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and when my thyroid is swollen it has a clicking feeling when I swallow. My meds are finally at a level so my thyroid is no longer swollen therefore no more clicking.

Carisa

Old 05-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
    MATYA
    (female)

MATYA HB User

Once the thyroid is gone your body is basically never the same, because there is no medication that can replace an organ and all it's functions. I don't have the clicking, but I describe mine as a pulling sensation of the throat and neck area, which is very tight and it does feel like somethng is always in my throat. I didn't have these symptoms prior to surgery. When I hold my head down I don't feel this sensation as much, or if I hold my neck it lessens. I was also told that in my case the thyroid was so big that now something has to go in it's place, which may in fact be scar tissue. I had a barium swallow that showed GERD (gastric refluex which presents the symptom of something being in your throat) again which was not diagnosed prior to the surgery. I'm scheduled for pain management next week. Will keep you posted. I'm also going to request an MRI to see what is actually going on.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
    parabellum
    (male)

parabellum HB User
    Clicking in the throat: cinematic fiction or surgical fact?

Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001 Sep;127(9):1129-31. Related Articles, Links
    Clicking in the throat: cinematic fiction or surgical fact?
    Smith ME, Berke GS, Gray SD, Dove H, Harnsberger R.
    Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, National Center for Voice and Speech, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA. [email][email protected]***[/email]
    The complaint of a clicking in the throat when swallowing is uncommon but very discomforting and painful for those who experience it. It is such an unusual complaint that symptoms may be dismissed as psychogenic because a cause for the problem may not be readily apparent. We present a series of 11 cases in which all patients had an audible clicking or popping noise in the throat associated with neck and throat pain when swallowing or turning the neck. The most helpful diagnostic procedure was careful examination and palpation of the neck while the patient swallowed to localize the side and source of the clicking. Laryngeal computed tomographic (CT) scans helped in some cases to demonstrate thyroid-cartilage and/or vertebral body asymmetry. Each case was treated with surgery of the neck and larynx to trim the portion of the thyroid cartilage causing the clicking. In most cases the superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage projected posteriorly and medially. Surgery was successful in all cases to eliminate the symptoms. Though an uncommon complaint, our experience suggests that the clicking throat is a surgically treatable problem.

Closed Thread