It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Thyroid surgery-size of goitre

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
golfnmomma
(male)

golfnmomma HB User
Thyroid surgery-size of goitre

I guess I should post this AFTER I come back from my endo appt., but since I'm on my way out the door and am a nervous wreck, for those who have had surgery, how big were your nodules and goitre before you went through with it? I have 2 nodules, 1 just mm in size, the other 1 cm. Last time I went to the endo, she increased my synthroid to try and shrink my growing goitre. If not, she was going to recommend surgery and unfortunately, people can now see the goitre whereas before, you could barely see it. I have compression symptoms sometimes (like when I'm eating meat or rough veggies, but otherwise, I'm okay). I had half my thyroid removed years ago for the same reason. Ugggghhh. It never seems to end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
kaatluvr
(female)

kaatluvr HB User
Re: Thyroid surgery-size of goitre

My solid nodule on the right side was 5.25 cm! I had felt pressure, but it wasn't found until it was that big! The left side was a cystic nodule and it was 2.5 cm. The surgeons told me I had to have the right side removed and they recommended the left as well. I had a TT on 1/31 and my pathology report was benign, thank the Lord. Hope this helps,
Scarlett

Old 04-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
golfnmomma
(male)

golfnmomma HB User

Wow, your nodules were quite big. I just got back and have to go for yet another ultrasound because my goitre has grown 1 cm in 3 months. Here comes the waiting game again.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
NodiGoiterGirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's or did they just tell you that you have a goiter?
Why didn't they take your whole thyroid the first time? I guess they thought the other half wouldn't grow big enough to cause problems.
I don't know how big my nodules were, never asked, but my whole gland was 4 times bigger than normal.
Had trouble swallowing, I never choked or anything but worried that someday I might have that problem.
Most people just thought I had a fat neck, well I do but it's normally not that fat!!!
Anyway, I am glad I had the whole thing taken out at once. The way it was growing I'm sure they would have had to go in a second time.
If I would have known meds wouldn't shrink it then I could have saved myself a year of misery. I have felt so much better since having it out.
Good Luck on your appointment.
Nodi

Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
linda115
(female)

linda115 HB User

I had surgery in Feb. Doctor removed the left side. I have multi-nodular goiter. Don't know how big the goiter was. Doctor did say it was very big and I am a petite woman. On the goiter, there were two 3 cm nodules.

I was on Levothroid for over a year prior to surgery. Not only did my nodules not shrunk, I developed hyperT symptoms, namely, heart palpitation and hypertension. I ended up in ER a few times.

He said that my right side is nice and small with some tiny nodules and he did not remove it. The lab test result is good and benign. I hope the remaining nodules do not grow. Nodules bigger than 3 cm usually don't shrink, he said.

I have stopped the medication since surgery. Seems like many of my hyperT symptoms are slowly improving. My blood pressure is back to normal. So's my basal temperature, around 97.9 (from 96.9). I am sleeping well without waking up in the middle of the night with heart palpitation.

At this point, I am not sure if I want to take any Lebothroid again. I will ask my doctor if the ones I took indeed cause my nodules to grow. Will let you know after my apppointment.

Linda

Old 04-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
golfnmomma
(male)

golfnmomma HB User

thanks for your replies. although my goitre seems to be growing, the fna biopsy determined they were mostly colloid, so cancer is not my worry. i'm just wondering why the darn thing keeps on growing.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
wxKathy2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

sorry I posted in the wrong thread....

Last edited by wxKathy2; 04-04-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
NodiGoiterGirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I guess it keeps growing because if you have hashimoto's then it is still attacking your gland. Until you have it completely removed or kill it with RAI it will continue to fight back against the antibodies causing it to swell. Or, it will eventually quit working on its own.
My endo told me that if they didn't take all mine at once then they might have to go back in later because it would just continue to grow.
Nodi

Closed Thread