It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

RAI getting closer

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
southwest1975
(female)

southwest1975 HB User
RAI getting closer

I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery my incision is healing nicely and I have no signs of being hypo yet. I went to see my endo yesterday and he discussed the RAI with me. I started the low iodine diet immediatly.......not too bad mostly just veggies fruit small amount of meats. So it'll take a bit more planning but I'll do anything to hear the words "the RAI worked and the cancer is gone" So I have to get my blood drawn on Monday and get my results Tuesday...if my levels are >50 then he will order the RAI for Friday. He recommended that I stay at a hotel for 72 hours since I have 2 small children at home. I would love to hear any one elses experiences with this. How long usually is it that I need to avoid contact.....I have heard up to two weeks after no physical contact. I've rambled on enough. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User
Re: RAI getting closer

Do you have pets? Be very careful if you do and do not let them or the kids sit on your lap for a couple of weeks. Try to stay out of enclosed small spaces with them also (like a car) for a couple of weeks. The first day after the RAI try not to drink too much water that way it keeps the RAI in your body longer. If you have to use the same restroom as your kids you will have to keep it super clean. Take lots of showers at least 2 times a day after you get home, be sure to rinse tub before anyone else uses it, the RAI seeps out of your pores. I would also change the sheets every day and sleep alone, no use in exposing anyone to RAI if you can help it. There are 2 schools of thought on the salivary glands and hard sour candy you need to look it up on the www and see which you believe. I myself would go easy on it if you are getting less than 150 of RAI if you are getting more than 150 then you may need the candy or you could end up with messed up salivary glands and a permanant dry mouth. Its in everyones best interest if you do NOT drive a car for 2 weeks before RAI and 2 weeks after RAI as you can be held responsible in case of any accident that you may have while hypo. I will be glad to help with any more questions you might have. Hugs and best wishes.
Benzi

Old 04-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Just a side note a person sitting 3 feet away from you for 20 minutes will get the equivelent of a chest xray for the first week or so after your treatment, so that kinda gives you some idea of how much you are exposing anyone else to radiation. A child sitting on your lap for a few hours could severly damage it own thyroid gland.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
AprilPow
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Southwest- a lot of it depends on your dose of radiation.

When I was given the option of radiation I was told I could not sleep in the same bed as hubby for a week and I could hold my kids but for no more than 2 hours a day and since I had a 7 month old at the time, to be careful not to hold him close to my neck since the radiation will be focused there.

I am not sure if you actually transmit radioactive iodine, rather you "leak" radiation. But like I said I am not sure. Do we normally transmit iodine through saliva or sweat anyway??
My doc said if my kids had any problems it would be they would develop leukemia (I think thats what he said) and that was 1 in 10,000 chance. They wouldn't get cancer of thyroid or be made hypo thyroid. Not every doc is right though, just telling you what I was told.

April

Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

Radioactive iodine also leaves your system via the bladder which is my reasoning for no children on the lap theory. My nurses in the hospital were very leary of going into my bathroom also.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
AprilPow
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

THey leave too b/c they are exposed to it often...and being exposed to it nearly everyday I am sure isn't a good thing.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #7
Benzi
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

No it is not I know, I went to school to be a rad tech was exposed to lots of Radiation. How are you April?

Closed Thread