It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Hypothyroidism and dry skin...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
ShadeMeJaz
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User
Question Hypothyroidism and dry skin...

I've had hypothyroidism for a few years now and take unithroid daily for it. But also for years I've had dry skin, in particular, a very dry, dark patch of skin on the back of my hand. And now another is developing on my other hand.

I'm not positive this is due to thyroid, but if it is, is there anything I can do about it? I'm going again for blood work pretty soon to see if I need an adjustment in my medication, but even if I get on the right amount, I have a feeling it won't magically clear up.

I apply lotion dairly and it doesn't seem to do anything to get rid of these patches. I really am going crazy with this! Any suggestions?

Jaz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and dry skin...

If this problem is the only hypothyroid-type symptom you have, and if your free hormone levels are above the middle of their lab ranges, I'm inclined to think it is not from hypoT.
Have you asked a dermatologist about it? There are prescription lotions and creams that can do much more than over-the-counter products. Even your GP may know what to do for it, or maybe he can guess correctly about it.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
ShadeMeJaz
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User

I have no idea about my hormone levels and if they're in the right ranges right now. And I may have other symptoms, but since I also have other problems that could cause them, it can be hard to distinguish. Like sensitivity to cold, tiredness, depression, abnormal menstaul cycles. But some of these things might be caused by other health problems. I am hoping to find out from when I go for blood work whether I might need a medication adjustment. But if that's not the case, and other things are causing these things, then I guess I will have to look into other options. Thanks for your input. Any and all is very welcome!

Old 04-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
zekat
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

You might look into psoriasis. Because you already have one autoimmune disorder, you are more likely to develop another. I was diagnosed w/ psoriasis back when I was 8 and then developed thyroid problems later in life. What you describe *could* be psoriasis. Especially the fact that lotion doesn't get rid of them. (I currently have two small patches in my hair and two on my elbow -- lotion does NOTHING!!) When you see your doc have him look at it, or ask for a referrral to a dermatologist.

Also, all the symptoms you listed in your response were very, very common hypothyroid symptoms. When you have your blood work done, be sure to ask your doc to test your Free T3 and Free T4 levels (if he is not doing that already). They paint a much brighter picture of your thyroids health as they are the actual thyroid hormone! Many doctors test only TSH which is the pituitarys RESPONSE to how your T3 & T4 are acting.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
ShadeMeJaz
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User

Thanks for the input. I may not be able to do that this time around with having them test for all of that, but I'll keep it in mind since it sounds very important!

As for psoriasis, that's interesting you should bring it up and confusing for me. I have always had what I was told from childhood was psoriasis on my scalp. But one or two doctors said no it wasn't, so that's somewhat unclear to me. And I had one doctor a while back take a look at the first dry patch to develop on my hand and they weren't sure what it was. They didn't really offer any help, either. Why are skin problems so difficult to diagnose for them or is it just me?

Jaz

Old 04-12-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've had the same experience with their inability to Dx skin conditions. I think there are sooooo many different rashes with different causes, that they would have to study for months to be able to recognize all of them. Dermatologists know these things better because they've studied them in depth. Internists and family doctors don't necessarily know any more than we do about it.

Closed Thread