It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Anyone, please help! Question on latest labs.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
am3
(female)

am3 HB User
Anyone, please help! Question on latest labs.

So, I had another visit with my endo today and the results are:
TSH 6.56 range: 0.40-5.50 mU/L
T4, Free 1.0 range 0.8-1.8 NG/DL
T3, Free 251 range 230-420 PG/DL

From these results I have had yet another increase in dosage to 172.5 mcg of Synthroid.

From what I have read on previous postings my free t3 should be in the upper 1/3 of the range. Am I correct on this? I tried to get her to include Cytomel into my treatment and she responded that "If we start you on Cytomel that is going to make your TSH plunge and you will become hyper again." Does this sound right to you? We have been increasing my dosage since December when we started me out on 100mcg of Synthroid. Granted my TSH has come down dramatically since then ( I was at 63 then).
I just have this gut feeling that I need to have some t3 added. What would your opinion be? I just don't know what to say to her that will be educated and informed to get me to feeling better....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
hrtofluv
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Anyone, please help! Question on latest labs.

The addition of Cytomel to my Synthroid has done WONDERS for me.
Sounds like you have a doc that doesn't want to listen to you very well. And yes, the Cytomel will make your TSH plunge lower - but isn't that what you need technically. You are still way to high on your TSH as it is. I feel best if my TSH is around 0.25 (although technically it is too low), my FT4 is at 1.36, and my FT3 is at 3.5. That was my last test results and I've never felt better. This is the first time since May 04 that my dosage has not changed - I go every 6 weeks for blood tests.
There are some docs that will go by your symptoms remission rather than the lab ranges - mine being one. I did go hyper for a short period and had to drop my cytomel from 15 to 10 - thought I was going BP at the time. Having everything (all 3 levels) at the right range is what any doc should try to achieve with medications.
Try to approach your doc again and tell her that most docs west of the Mississippi are adding Cytomel to their patients medications and seeing tremendous results. Mine is one of the few east of the MS that is trying it.
Keep pushing until you feel comfortable with your results.
Best of Luck!
hrtofluv

Old 04-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3
From what I have read on previous postings my free t3 should be in the upper 1/3 of the range. Am I correct on this?
Yes, FT3 in the upper third of the range would be the ideal target level.

That doctor is a TSH treater, not a patient treater. It's true your TSH would probably hit rock bottom with some T3 added to your T4, but it is absolutely, unequivocally UNTRUE that a low TSH would indicate you to be hyper. The only true measure of overtreatment would be high FT4/FT3 levels. My own TSH is .02, and I am in no way hyperthyroid. Fortunately, my doctor knows that and has no problem seeing my TSH so low.

I think you could use some T3 too. Unfortunately, few doctors can ever be swayed by what their patients have to say about their own treatment. If that's what you really want, you may have to switch doctors to get it.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
am3
(female)

am3 HB User

Thank you hrtofluv and midwest1! I have to say that in my last appointment I did feel a bit rushed and not so happy about being shot down about the t3 combination. With that in mind, does anyone know of any wonderful doctors/endos in the Cincinnati, Ohio area? I started going to mine through my GP's referral.
I am just so tired of feeling so sick and I cannot seem to see the end anywhere in sight. I feel so defeated and don't know where to turn.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You might want to try the physician finder at the Armour website. Armour-prescribers know the value of T3, and they usually have no objection to a suppressed TSH. Even if Armour turns out not to be right for you, these doctors usually know more about thyroid treatment than those unwilling to prescribe it.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
am3
(female)

am3 HB User

Thank you for your advice midwest1. I am going to look into the site and try to find someone who can help me.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
timberwolf2005
(male)

timberwolf2005 HB User
Re: Anyone, please help!

Hi i have very sick for 5yrs now and i have been recently dianosed with candida and parasites.. but i have acouple of questions about thyroid problems..

1. i have had lab work done and my levles are Tsh 2.035 (0.350-5.500)

t4 9.4 (4.5-12.0)

but i am getting alot of alfull symptoms as rapid heart rate....slow heart rate..bad anxiety panic attacks eyes dryng up swollen thyroid tighnes in the chest and pulling sinsation in the chest when it swells...finger and toe nails grow really fast and thick swelling in the feet and ankles..bad cause of lizard skin rashes...body aches rashes..shaking felling...dizzy spells...heat and cold intolerance ...redness of the eyes and inflammed ...hair changes brittle dry...sever constipation...restless sleep...change in sex drive...mental fogyness...bladder issus.. depression..breathing problems..mood changes...headaches...skin changing colors on my hands and feet..insomnia..bouncy legs..missing the out side couner of eybrows hoarsvoice hearing problemslack of modavation etc.... if anyone can give me some helpful hints i would greatly appricate it ty very much

Old 06-02-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
pixiek
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Hi Timberwolf. Sorry you are not feeling well...five years is a long time, isn't it! Well, it is hard to tell exactly by those labs but your symptoms suggest you may be struggling with hypothyroidism. I think you will want more complete lab tests: that is, FT3, FT4, TSH and the antibodies for Hashimotos Disease and possibly Graves Disease as well...these are autoimmune diseases that target the thyroid. With lab results, a good, caring doctor who looks at labs and symptoms, you can get meds and start feeling better. You may want to read all you can...that will help, too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by pixiek; 06-02-2005 at 02:13 AM.

Closed Thread